Fuji How to tell a battery is on the way out?

I dunno. If I'm spending $1000 or more in a camera, I see no reason to cheap out on the last few dollars for an aftermarket battery. Sometimes they work out but we've all heard stories about third-party battery packs swelling inside the camera, etc. Besides, Fuji's OEM batteries are far from the most expensive compared to some other brands.

As long as you don't care about the inaccurate battery percentage display (and the camera suddenly switching off at 10%, 17%, 14%, 8% or whatever misleading value), third-party batteries do work with the new models. Of course, they don't offer the improved heat dispersion of the 126S type which is useful in the X-T2 under certain conditions.

That said, don't leave third-party in bodies that you intend not to use for weeks or months. The missing deep-discharge protection bears a risk of the battery swelling like a balloon in the camera, so it may become quite difficult to get it out. This also happend to my dad a few months ago.

In the 4 years now I've owned the XT1 (somewhere around 40k-50k exposures) I've had 2 OEM batteries and about 5 aftermarket batteries, some of which were Wasabi and some Watson. Some I bought, some were given to me already lightly used by a friend. My unscientific observations:

- OEM batteries lasted longer than the Wilson ones, as in "didn't build up memory and crap out" as quickly. Number of shots per charge was essentially the same when newish.
- Wilson batteries both died in the same two week span, both swelling slightly inside the camera and requiring a tiny bit of help to be extracted. Neither was left in the camera for long without being used - I shoot A LOT.
- Wasabi batteries (new ~ 2 months ago) are indistinguishable from OEM so far.

Back