How's weather at your place?

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
There's been a tsunami in Indonesia and now I have just heard that a volcano has also erupted in Sumatra. I am not 100% sure where all of our members or readers come from. If you or anyone you know is effected by this, please know that even though this is a photography forum, we are a community, and we do want to know.

Here in the USA, I've just heard that Chicago, Illinois is being beaten by terrible storm. They say it is worse than the one in 1975 that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald. See this story: Chicago Storm May Beat 1975 Gale That Doomed Edmund Fitzgerald - Bloomberg

Please use this thread to update us, and to post about other serious weather events that effect you or other members here.

Here in NY state, north east of Manhattan just below the border of Connecticut, we just got about a foot or more of snow, though Central Park has just had another 19 inches added. It was beautiful earlier - if my pix come out I'll post one.

One of the main highways called 95 North has been backed up for 5 hours, New Haven line Metro North (our train line into and NYC and up to Boston) has been stopped for now.

Personally, we're fine. We have power, we have our wood burning stove, we have my husband The Snow Blower Amundsen, and our dog loves it. All plans work and otherwise have changed for the day. It's a snow day and when you're safe and sound it can be fun.;)

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

Although we had really bad snow before Xmas it had just been DULL DULL DULL and rainy here. We have had a tiny bit of snow but not enough to settle. I hate winter!! :( But gathering ideas for my 'studio' in my garage which is the next project.:)

Hot and dry here - 38C today (over the old century) and more to come. Possibility of thunder but no rain. A cyclone is tracking down the coast quite a bit north of here but staying out to sea (which is good).

A solid base from small snow storms every few days it seems like, then a few inches the night before last and yesterday morning, followed by a midday break (so, what to do but run out and buy a camera!), followed by a predicted 3-6" last night that turned into another 14-16 inches (from what I could see on the top of cars - much more on the ground where it had drifted, been plowed, etc). Now its sunny and beautiful as everyone digs out. I moved into a condo about 3 1/2 years ago and I don't shovel snow or cut grass anymore. I sit and drink coffee and watch the guys hired by the condo association come around and shovel and plow. Its really nice. I sometimes go out and shovel our immediate stoop for nostalgia purposes, but its a lot different when its optional!

-Ray

A couple of years ago my father was on a business road trip with an associate from China and they found themselves stuck in traffic gridlock in the country roads due to the raging bush fires. They got back safely though which was good.

A couple of days later the business associate flew back to China and as he was driving home from the airport, he found himself in another traffic gridlock due to a horrendous snow blizzard. He got home safely and immediately called my father and they both had a chuckle at the madness of it all.

The weather is all messed up. I live considerably north of BB and we should be inundated with snow but it is not so. Usually our winters are consistently below freezing and we have snow on the ground for about three months. Our inlet is usually frozen over by the 16 of January and while there is ice in it is not even close to freezing over. There is very little snow on the ground. Today were New York is getting hammered we are getting rain. Call it global warming or witchcraft the weather is sure strange. Giving my druthers i would rather have a nice blanket of snow for photographing.

I moved into a condo about 3 1/2 years ago and I don't shovel snow or cut grass anymore. I sit and drink coffee and watch the guys hired by the condo association come around and shovel and plow. Its really nice. I sometimes go out and shovel our immediate stoop for nostalgia purposes, but its a lot different when its optional!

-Ray

That is my plan as son as my 12 year old gets out of high school. On another note...don't despair as spring can't be far away as pitchers and catchers report to baseball spring training in less than 3 weeks. Of course that is in the sunny and warm southern and western states, but I always look to that as a sure sign that winter is on its way out.

Temperature is raising up to 15C next coming days. Wow! Nature showed me this morning that we are moving forward to summer.
I'm born for summertime. To live life to it's fullest. Terraces waiting for me, bicycling, walking, sitting down on our backyard terraces, bbq, doing nothing at all, getting a sun tan, watching motorsports, etc.
Oh, I forgot eating and wining.
And maybe go for a run with a motor, brrrmm.

In Yorkshire they say, "Ne'er cast a clout, till May is out".

In France, they have a similar saying - "En Avril, ne te découvre pas d'un fil; en Mai, fais ce qui te plaît".

In Spain, it's "Hasta el cuarenta de Mayo, no te quites el sayo".

In other words, "It's gonna snow, before you know".

Here, eastern part of Holland near German border: temperature will drop, we had fine weather up to 26C, wow I like it very much, now I'm longing for summer, hey man, we already have May.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back