How's weather at your place?

Cold and freezing rain coating everything in a slick sheen to start the day, then the temperature climbed above 32F, and the freezing rain just turned into a cold, persistent rain. The birds and squirrels were out in droves, however.

Typical unsettled weather here lately. Went from a low of 0F Sunday morning, to a high of 66F on Wednesday, to 71F on Thursday. 55F and frogs croaking in the woods behind the house when I walked our dog Friday morning. Absolutely beautiful skies all morning, then the rain began, slowly at first, building to a steady downpour as the temperature dropped steadily throughout the day. Then the winds began, the rain turned to ice, and we woke to this. 20F right now, with lows in the single digits again this week.

DSCF1231.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

We got positively dumped on with rain last night. Some areas got 4+ " - no sign of the snow now, but the next problem is the temps will drop 30 degrees in the next few hours. No time for any standing water to dissipate, so it's black ice tonight. More snow Tuesday, I'm hoping my new snow blower shows up same day - my ancient old blower gave it's swan song after last week's storm.

Predicted 1-3", looking at the snowfall map, I might be closer (optimistically hoping) to the coating to 1". Whatever happens, it's going to be a mess tomorrow.

I'm on the opposite side of the Appalachian Mountains from Steve (but along the same freeway), but our weather sounds identical. Positively Spring-like on my morning walk with the dog, with birds singing and frogs croaking all around. Supposed to hit 70F today. A cooling off period later in the week will have the highs "only" in the 50s. I was hiking some cold, snow-covered hollows over the weekend, and every now and then the steady wind would bring a sudden rush of much warmer air. It won't last . . . our February is expected to be rough.

Our frigid temps have finally broken. A little warmer than normal now, high of 50F today. Will be high 30F to low 40f for most of the week....then next week they are anticipating another drop down into the teens and 20F again.

It's good though, because we will have a chance to get the mounds of snow melted and out through the waterways before the next set of winter storms rolls through.

Back