How's weather at your place?

Apparently half the Northern Territory has been evacuated by the government and Army, pending the apocalypse....

Meanwhile in my neck of the woods, it’s just another day in WA...

Except for people stocking up slightly more on the necessities like booze...

Currently oscillating between highs in the 50’s and 60’s (F). Stil. Some mornings below freezing but the warmer weather is starting to prevail. The daffodils are blooming and the trees are budding.

Similar weather pattern in the western foothills of the Appalachians. Cold at night, 50-60 during the day. It was sunny and 29F when I started my hike today. By mid afternoon, long sleeves were enough to go outside, but there was still a bit of bite to the air.

Very mild and Autumn-like the past couple of days, after weeks of blistering Summer heat. I had my bike loaded on my car to head over to the park for a couple of hours this morning, but it started drizzling right about dawn, and progressed to a sustained downpour. I won't complain, because we've been in an extended dry period and desperately needed the rain. I like the sound of the rain hammering on our metal roof, anyway. So I'll just stay in and enjoy my retirement. :D

We had a bit of rain over the past few days, which was very welcome. Sadly, Australia's current drought is still persistent west of the Great Dividing Range. I don't think they got much out there and its been months. There are some towns in the north of the state which are running out of water, and have to have it trucked in from elsewhere.

Vancouver BC. It's been all over the place this week. It was supposed to rain every day and be cool and cloudy for the whole week. It was gorgeous late Monday afternoon and yesterday afternoon. This morning started out cool and overcast but the sun has been out for a couple of hours today, with clouds coming in for the afternoon.

One word: Fire. No, I am not directly affected, but the smoke comes from miles away to choke everything. The fire front up north is over 1000 kms, and the firefighters are just exhausted because they have been trying to control it for weeks and with the drought, lack of water, and high winds, its been almost impossible. Down this way, today there are four more fires than there were yesterday, but they are being controlled. Its been just tragic. The numbers are unclear but its known that at least 350-400 koalas have died in the fires, never mind the kangaroos and other animals that could not get away. Houses and property destroyed and still no rain in sight.

This photo was taken by a fellow called Adam Stevenson, and sadly I have no link details for him.

75513490_1478231432327518_1741226608481533952_n.jpg

Cold - unusually and unseasonably cold due to an air mass from Canada. 19 degrees fahrenheit at night and barely breaking the freezing mark - 32 degrees fahrenheit - during the day. It's still about another month before winter officially begins.

I'm probably about 500 miles farther south than Steve, and the "Polar Vortex" has already made its first visit. (Side bar: I never heard the term Polar Vortex until I was well into my 50s). It was 13F when I woke this morning. With about an inch of snow on the ground and the sun shining through what's left of the foliage, it's actually rather pretty.

We are recovering from fires in NSW, there are still a few at emergency level about, but now, Queensland is having what we had. And over on the other side of the country, WA is having crazy fire weather too. and its not even Summer yet. This morning, its cold. It was 11ºC when i woke up, just crazy after a 39ºC day two days ago.

Back