How's weather at your place?

it's gray here today. The kind that just makes one wish to go back to bed. But at least it's not too cold.....and there aren't any ice storms, torrential rains or widespread wildfires. So I'll just get back to work.

Its getting worse, Armando :(. I hope @rayvonn is OK, Sydney is in a terrible state today. 12x the most hazardous levels of smoke/pollution... I thought it was nasty here, but its *nothing* like that.

Its getting worse, Armando :(. I hope @rayvonn is OK, Sydney is in a terrible state today. 12x the most hazardous levels of smoke/pollution... I thought it was nasty here, but its *nothing* like that.
7 more days till I fly out of this ghastly place for a month. It'll still be there when I get back though.

Headed home from a holiday concert/fundraiser last night. Foggy, cold, drizzly, with occasional torrential downpours. It's been raining for two days straight - whatever snow from last week's storms are gone, but the ground is super saturated. The storm extended all the way down past the Carolinas and followed the coast up to Newfoundland and as far West as Toronto. No respite, expecting more snow Tuesday!

MISC-2019-0184-Edit-LREdit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

MISC-2019-0185-Edit-LREdit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

@kyteflyer how are you and our other Aussie friends doing this week? You guys are making the news up this way as it's being reported that you've had your hottest day ever and it's not helping the ongoing fires.
I managed to get out of Sydney yesterday and by the looks of it, it's fortunate I did. But the kiddies are due to fly out on Boxing Day - there's a realistic possibility they might not be able to do so due to the current terrifying conditions. 40 homes destroyed yesterday.

@kyteflyer how are you and our other Aussie friends doing this week? You guys are making the news up this way as it's being reported that you've had your hottest day ever and it's not helping the ongoing fires.

We arent doing as badly as some, here in Newcastle, the temperatures are tolerable (mid 30s->40ºC) but the smoke is just horrid. And every time there‘s a stinking hot day, the fires flare up again. Sydney seems to be worst off, the fires to the west of there are massive, they are calling it a “megablaze” (5 separate fires converged and became one huge blaze) and it has already burnt out an area that is larger than Sydney itself, I think the totals go something like this: over 400 houses and structures lost, 16 or so dead (including, yesterday, two firefighters), and about 3 million hectares have been burnt. Fire fronts are in the thousands of kilometers.

You can see on the graphic that the east coast is still ablaze. That isn't going to stop until we get rain. And theres no rain forecast until the end of January (we haven't had any significant rain since august). On top of all this, wth the drought having been running all year, water storage systems are so low that some towns are running out of water and having to have it trucked in. total storage for NSW is only around 42%. So we are on level 2 water restrictions as well as everything else. Not a good look for Australia, I’m afraid.

8000C39B-309B-4815-82C1-D03B383C8E4F.jpeg

Last edited:
We arent doing as badly as some, here in Newcastle, the temperatures are tolerable (mid 30s->40ºC) but the smoke is just horrid. And every time there‘s a stinking hot day, the fires flare up again. Sydney seems to be worst off, the fires to the west of there are massive, they are calling it a “megablaze” (5 separate fires converged and became one huge blaze) and it has already burnt out an area that is larger than Sydney itself, I think the totals go something like this: over 400 houses and structures lost, 16 or so dead (including, yesterday, two firefighters), and about 3 million hectares have been burnt. Fire fronts are in the thousands of kilometers.

You can see on the graphic that the east coast is still ablaze. That isn't going to stop until we get rain. And theres no rain forecast until the end of January (we haven't had any significant rain since august). On top of all this, wth the drought having been running all year, water storage systems are so low that some towns are running out of water and having to have it trucked in. total storage for NSW is only around 42%. So we are on level 2 water restrictions as well as everything else. Not a good look for Australia, I’m afraid.

View attachment 210372
That's getting really serious. I'd be thinking about moving somewhere else for sure.

Back