How's weather at your place?

Today is the start of a big change in the weather for us. For the last couple of weeks we've had daytime temperatures of only a degree or two above zero, and a keen northerly wind to make it feel a lot colder. At night the temperature has been down to minus 4 or so. The wind is now coming from the south and the temperature is going to shoot up in response. I can see 14 C forecast for tomorrow and this time next week it could be 16 C during the day and 10 C at night. Those are temperatures we normally see in May.

-R

Today is the start of a big change in the weather for us. For the last couple of weeks we've had daytime temperatures of only a degree or two above zero, and a keen northerly wind to make it feel a lot colder. At night the temperature has been down to minus 4 or so. The wind is now coming from the south and the temperature is going to shoot up in response. I can see 14 C forecast for tomorrow and this time next week it could be 16 C during the day and 10 C at night. Those are temperatures we normally see in May.

-R
Spoke to my family in London over the weekend, I was told the snow was at that boring sludgy stage.

We are in the grip of the longest extended freeze we've seen in years. Usually we have a rebound here and there, even in winter. The snowpack and unrelenting overcast have kept things feeling bone-chilling cold, even though the lows have only gotten down into the mid to high 20s F. Daytime temps have been hovering around the freezing mark. Yesterday evening's clinging mist did just that, settling onto everything and freezing into a thin coating of what is often referred to as "Black Ice". Still waiting to see if the really pessimistic weather model is correct about us getting a heavy coating of mixed snow and ice.

Spoke to my family in London over the weekend, I was told the snow was at that boring sludgy stage.
I'm guessing that was on the east side of London, perhaps into Essex or Kent? Where we are, to the west of London, there hasn't been any snow for a couple of weeks, but plenty of ice where there was standing water.

-R

The cold, clinging chill has been enhanced by a fine mist that has been falling all afternoon. It is expected to freeze again tonight. And beginning tomorrow, one weather model is predicting 6-9" (150-225mm) of snow. So I'll get to pull out our snowblower and use it for the 4th time since I bought it 5 years ago.
It's been misting and drizzling freezing rain for the past day here... and will continue to do so through Monday. Daytime highs have struggled to get out of the 20's F. That has left a coating of very hard ice over everything. And treacherous black ice on the roadways. The term "bone-chilling cold" applies here as well.

It's been misting and drizzling freezing rain for the past day here... and will continue to do so through Monday. Daytime highs have struggle dto get out of the 20's F. That has left a coating of very hard ice over everything. And treacherous black ice on the roadways. The term "bone-chilling cold" applies here as well.
I just saw a severe weather warning for our area beginning 1 AM tomorrow. Now calling for 2" of snow, with up to 1/4" of ice. People are being warned to stay indoors unless it's absolutely necessary to go out. There are several huge trees surrounding our house that have us concerned. If we get through this unscathed, it might be time to bite the bullet and pull out some of our retirement savings and have those beasts removed this spring.

Not much snow here... but they're still telling everyone to stay home. I just hope the power stays on. A couple of smartphone photos...

813D808A-585D-4925-BEA5-10E189FAC3D1.jpeg867D39A9-9205-4D34-86D2-CCFD0DBC117C.jpeg

Well, we seem to have been spared the worst (i.e. the really low temperatures) after all - it was really nice and sunny today (freezing, though), and while it's not going to stay this good, temperatures are rising after tonight ... While I liked the cold and snowy conditions, moving around was pretty tough at times.

M.

Colorado Springs here. The artic front is full upon us for another 48 hours or so. Temps 6/-12F. Thankfully not much wind with it (especially not our typical constant gales). And snowing (kind rare in the Springs) like the End of the World!

And my flight tickets to warm sunny Mexico are somewhere out there under that snow! I guess ANOTHER layer and another cup of coffee will have to do till spring. If it's really The End - we'll at least the snow makes the place look clean. Nothing worse than God announcing "clean your planet! Before I pulverize you all".

That is all.

Just looked at the weather . . . 100% chance of precipitation today and tonight, with freezing rain being the primary culprit, and a high of 33 expected. So this glassy coating we have over everything isn't going anywhere, at least before the end of the week, based on the projected temperatures. We have an Ice Storm Warning in effect until 10 AM tomorrow.

Colorado Springs broke our 100+ year old record cold for Valentine's Day - is that some sort of omen? We have hovered between 0/-17 for the past 48 hours (we got to zero for an hour Saturday afternoon). Won't get back to our "normal" 40s until late this week.
Bucerias is probably upper 70s, the ocean is just past the fresh water pool, which is 20 steps from the kitchen.

I HATE covid-19, AND it's mama!!!

Not looking good right now in the western foothills of the Appalachians. It is raining steadily outside, and the temp is right at freezing. The Ice Storm Warning that is in effect until 10 AM is projecting up to 3/10" (7.5mm) of ice. That would be devastating to trees and power lines. Already thousands of folks in this region without power.

DSCF3895.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back