How's weather at your place?

Snow continues . . .
Snow continues.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sunshine, currently 25F, (-4C) 'Tis spring in Michigan, and the weather over the next 10 days is expected. Sun, Rain, Snow, 32 to near 60. Woot!

View attachment 373423
Check out that weatherstreet site I posted and advance the temperature and snowfall maps to march 28th. There seems to be some disparity between that forecast and this forecast. 10 days out is a long time in weather world, so it will be interesting to see which set of dice are right on that call.
It looks to be more of an impact for you guys downstate than here, so good luck!

Check out that weatherstreet site I posted and advance the temperature and snowfall maps to march 28th. There seems to be some disparity between that forecast and this forecast. 10 days out is a long time in weather world, so it will be interesting to see which set of dice are right on that call.
It looks to be more of an impact for you guys downstate than here, so good luck!
Ten days! Ours cannot even manage to get it right one day out.

Then they presume to insist that they know exactly what is going to happen in 30-100 YEARS time.

{Rant on}
People tend to forget that:

1) the UNIPCC is a political body, not a scientific one, and
2) that they have not made a single correct prediction since the early 1980s!
3) the alteration of the Hadcrut 4 dataset so that it supported their position, rather than contradicting it.

One of their best predictions (1986, IIRC) was that New York would be under 2m of water by 1997, or thereabouts. The infamous J curve of "global forcing", etc.

I could go on, and on, and on ...

Not one of these people even mention that, since I was born in the late 1940s, the planet's population has doubled, then doubled again. We are polluting the planet (and all other species) to death by our very existence in plague proportions.

I won't even bother to attack the extremely dodgy "science" and dubious modelling employed ...

All the while ignoring what's plainly in front of their faces:

• Too much waste, from gross over consumption in the first world
  • No adequate sewerage treatment in most of the world
  • Misuse of plastics
  • Inadequate or non-existent recycling systems
  • Designed obsolescence in items that should last for decades (phones, tablets, computers, and now cars!)
{Rant off}

Sorry about that folks, I get really angry at the crass, gross stupidity of our political masters.

Snowfall for my area on that day shows none. Temps are showing much colder.

This site is right in between at 42. I've found this to be pretty accurate.

Sorry about that folks, I get really angry at the crass, gross stupidity of our political masters.
If you're actually sorry I feel it would be appropriate to edit the post to remove the rant and the misinformation therein. The IPCC FAR, for example, was published in 1990 (not 1986). Its chapter on sea level rise mentions New York exactly once—Flint 1971 is cited and was published there, so New York therefore appears in its reference—and suggests 31–110 cm increase in global sea level by 2100, depending on scenario. Claiming this is an exact prediction of the 12 m sea level rise needed to put New York 2 m under water in 1997 is, to put it mildly, a gross misrepresentation.

There's abundant evidence for ecological overshoot (e.g. McBain et al. 2017) and weather shifts (e.g. Alexander 2016) and it's not unreasonable to be angry about the underlying planetary mismanagement. But I'll suggest it's more effective to seek constructive responses to things which actually happened. Working to improve understanding and predictive abilities, for example (e.g. Henderson et al. 2018, Moser 2016), despite harassment, abuse, threats, and systematic misrepresentation (e.g. Dunlap and McCright 2012) by deniers.

To place the majority of the past few months' of posts to this thread in context, the sea ice-open water albedo feedback means the Arctic is the most rapidly warming part of the planet. Weather patterns have shifted in response, favoring somewhat cooler winters for folks like @will focus and @Brownie (Zhang et al. 2016, Cohen et al. 2021). I'm less familiar with changes in the southern hemisphere but it is my understanding its relatively sparser data grid increases challenges (e.g. Pinkerton et al. 2021).

Locally, I've got a cold and stormy pattern which is being slowly forced off by the northern hemisphere spring. It'd be a lot less creepy if the circumpolar vortex was staying tighter and keeping that cold over the Arctic Ocean where it'd deepen pack ice thickness.

@archaeopteryx

When belief overrides fact, a set of opinions becomes a religion, not science.

I've spent years studying both raw data and reviewed articles in many related disciplines.

I also believe that it is fundamental to science that when the facts disagree with an hypothesis, one discards (or modifies) the hypothesis. One never modifies or disregards the facts. Just look at the Hadcrut 4 dataset, and what has been done to it to 'force' it to conform to preconceived hypotheses.

I could spend days pointing these and other fallacies out, however, this is unlikely to have the slightest effect on those with religious convictions ...

Here in our part of Central Valley California we have had intermittent torrential rain during the last week. At present it's sunny and rather cool, earlier today we had torrential rain. Not too far from Los Angeles they had 2 tornadoes (unheard in the last 40years) many towns are still flooded and more rain will only bring even more flooding. A few of the apartments at our complex (lower area) did flood. We thankfully were ok. Take Care.
Rain-Frame 2.jpg

Nice autumn weather here. Middle of the day, it's raining on and off, and around 13°C.

Glad that our painter has plenty of undercover stuff to do outside. We're having all the woodwork etc outside painted (at last!!), having had the brickwork re-rendered as part of major repairs and maintenance a couple of years ago.

Back