How's weather at your place?

That hurricane is now hitting Ireland. It's technically a tropical storm now but still really nasty. Where I am (western side of England) the wind is now picking up, it's strangely warm, and the sky is a disturbing pinkish-brown colour.

A bit gusty in the Thames Valley today and the sky is a distinctly yellow/orange colour (apparently due to dust from the Sahara blown up from the south by Ophelia). And it's warm.

Just to add to the sense of something being not quite right today, one of our smoke detectors has been sounding on and off for the last hour, for no apparent reason.

-R

I live in Suffolk and we had a weird sky during the afternoon with a huge orange /red sun shining through the hazy cloud. I was out at the time and didn't have a camera with me but later as the sun began to set after I got home the whole sky started to turn a beautiful orange. Took this photo with my X70 but by the time I had fitted the wide angle adapter the colour had gone. Could have done with a fisheye.
DSCF3063.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While you folks in the North Atlantic are dealing with severe weather, we on the other side of The Pond are dealing with severe dry, at least in the Mid-Atlantic states. We have had precious little rain in my neck of the woods, despite a few days of blustery weather. It was sweater/jumper weather yesterday, and chilly and foggy this morning, but turning sunny and very mild. Our foliage this year has been mostly drab, with a few areas in the mountains being nicer. An extended hot, dry summer has led many trees to go straight from green to brown to no leaves.

the sky is a distinctly yellow/orange colour (apparently due to dust from the Sahara blown up from the south by Ophelia).

we had a weird sky during the afternoon with a huge orange /red sun

I believe this is the effect of the wildfires in Portugal and Northern Spain. Please check BeNeLux, north Germany, parts of Denmark, Sweden, Poland and Baltic states under thick smoke from fires in north Spain and Portugal today It is unfortunately pretty common here to see this sort of skies.

Edit:

The death toll due to fires is now over 100 in Portugal, on the full season. Sunday was absolutely hell with the strong winds from Ophelia causing some fires to quickly expand to a huge number (over 500 simultaneously!) of uncontrollable fires on a country that is on extreme draught since months. To discuss reasons for the severity of this, would need to go into politics, so I'll stop here.

Some (unbelievable) images on the same site: Numerous major wildfires hit Portugal and Spain

Last edited:
Later in the day yesterday I heard that the sky colour we saw was likely caused by a combination of Saharan sand and smoke from wildfires on the Iberian peninsular. This makes me wonder whether my £10 smoke detector was picking traces of smoke through the open door from 1,000 miles away, and if so, is this a record ? :hmmm:

-R

Cold. 10F (-12C) at sunrise this morning. Supposed to be low single digits (F) the next five nights. I'm looking forward to Saturday. Trying to decide between pulling out my Fat Bike for an Arctic ride, or going and shooting frozen waterfalls, both of which I love doing.

It's a minus 9F right now at 1:50PM in northern Vermont. Sunny but very cold. Eighteen below this morning when we got up around 7:00AM. Spending most of the day making sure the wood stove is running at peak efficiency.
. . . David

David wins. Only in the eastern highlands of our state do we get that kind of cold, usually with loads of snow. There are numerous roads in rural WV with signs that read "No snow removal beyond this point." Some of them are major tourist roads in warmer months.

Not quite as cold this morning (17F, -8C). I'm planning a 10-15 mile bike ride tomorrow morning along a couple of very scenic rivers, then a shorter ride New Year's morning. Supposed to be around 7F and sunny to start the day Monday. Perfect for photographing frozen waterfalls. I love getting out in the woods in the winter, but my wife still isn't keen on me doing it.

Getting our share of the Arctic Blast that's swept most of the Northern CONUS. 15F Ambient but with the windchill it's closer to zero. It Is Deadly Out There. I stepped out for a minute not wearing socks with my shoes just to collect the rubbish bins last night and my toes immediately started to numb out. We've got another seven days of this craziness, and it's not even February which is the traditionally bad month for Winter Weather.

The famed Polar Vortex is hitting us at least 3 weeks earlier than we usually see. Our most experienced TV weatherman said tonight this is shaping up very much like the winter of 1977, one of the most vicious winters our area has seen in my lifetime.

Getting our share of the Arctic Blast that's swept most of the Northern CONUS. 15F Ambient but with the windchill it's closer to zero. It Is Deadly Out There. I stepped out for a minute not wearing socks with my shoes just to collect the rubbish bins last night and my toes immediately started to numb out. We've got another seven days of this craziness, and it's not even February which is the traditionally bad month for Winter Weather.

That's even making the news over here. I am kinda glad it wasnt that bad when I was over there. Stay safe, you guys.

Back