How's weather at your place?

the heat and humidity take your breath away when you step out into it. The hourlong dog walk has been replaced by a 25 minute walk....and we've moved it from 9 a.m to 7 a.m. Still sweat through all my clothes....obviously it would help if I could lose 25 lbs, but that isn't happening overnight.

Yup. I lived in Central Florida for 10 years so I'm not ultra sensitive to heat and humidity. But I find I like it less and less as I get older. Moreover, summers are much more like Florida even in the Northeast these days.

BTW, most Floridians (residents as opposed to tourists) regard summer the way many northerners regard winter: It's simply the "stay indoors" season. You go from your air condiitoned house to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned job to the air conditioned store and back to your air conditioned home.

When you go to the beach in Florida, you can easily identify those who actually live in Florida. They're the ones wearing shirts and hats. Brutal sun.

We have now gone more than 30 days without any rain and the grass is a bit parched - like in this field today.
DSCF9639.JPG

My lawn is dry but not that bad.

Nothing quite so extreme in the Netherlands, although many weather stations broke local records with 38.something degrees last week. Also, one particularly brutal, windless, unbelievably humid night, about a week ago, never got below 24 degrees (which beat the previous night record by about 2.5 degrees!)...

But even though temperatures in the high 20s to mid 30s wont faze many countries, we've barely had any rain since the beginning of May, which is unheard of in the Nerherlands. Counting until early August, the rain / evaporation balance has never been as out of kilter as it is this year, in 117 years of measurements!

Today will be the peak of a heat wave in Portugal and Spain. There is a chance of some parts of Portugal reaching 50 Celsius / 122 Farnheit which would be an all time record high in Europe. Yesterday we had a mild 47c...
That is freaky hot. I have experienced 50 C myself (Kuwait in August) and it's pretty unpleasant. You have to hide inside all day and keep your outdoor excursions to a minimum. And drink a lot.

-R

That is freaky hot. I have experienced 50 C myself (Kuwait in August) and it's pretty unpleasant. You have to hide inside all day and keep your outdoor excursions to a minimum. And drink a lot.

-R

I’ve also experienced close to 50c in Bahrain and on the Sahara, never thought the same would be possible here.

Official “European certified” stations recorded 46.6 on Friday and 46.8 Saturday. Still some local stations have recorded over 48 while some non official amateur stations on specially hot micro climates areas surpassed 50, but the reliability is questionable.

In any case, it has been close to hell, really. My house indoor temperature reached 30, despite all the efforts to keep it cool. I have no air conditioning, living close to the sea the main issue is actuality humidity and cold nights.

Finally some rain. We've had 3 days of fairly heavy downpours, and I know my trees and the local birds are very happy. Toby not so much. Don't know yet if its broken the drought in NSW, but that has been very bad. A friend of mine had to sell all her cattle because there was no way she could afford to buy feed for them, and there was nothing left for them to graze.
D4317C66-E828-47F9-9CF5-BADB2B96494E.png

This is why I try not to complain too much - about the weather or anything else. Think I have problems? Compared to what?

The worst of it is this: We got heaps of rain on the coast, but where its needed more, barely a sprinkle. My friend's property is just outside the area which got all the rain. So she's no better off than before. She's grateful she has a day job, too.

Back