Fuji I <3 new york

In the second picture, I love the guy waving in the bottom right window, although I can't quite make out if it's a real person or he's been painted there.

The Highline is on my 'must see' list for September.

-R

It's a window dummy, probably poking fun at the fact that the price you pay for having the highline behind your apartment is a complete lack of privacy. :)

So I had a pretty bad start to my day... woke up groggy and late from bad medicine, rushed out the door to an appointment, forgot my phone at my desk, took the wrong train because I was distracted about not having my phone, had to take a cab, left ALL THREE OF MY X100S BATTERIES IN THE BACKSEAT, and it was the ONE time I didn't ask for a receipt (they list the registration number of the cab for lost items) and paid cash.

Anyway, later on I walk into Adorama and buy a NP-95 battery, pop it into my X100S scroll through the images on my card and format. Immediately after, I got the battery warning and the camera shut off. As I turn the corner and start down 6th Ave, it happens: Right before me is NYC legend Louis Mendes. I've always wanted to take his portrait and finally here was my chance. I introduced myself as an admirer of his work and asked if I could take his portrait. He looked at my X100S and asked in a sarcastically friendly way, "Do you know how to work that thing? I'll give you one shot." Meanwhile, I'm not even entirely sure if the battery will survive long enough for one shot. I set everything before turning the camera on... aperture priority, F2, no exposure comp (we were thankfully already in shade), and framed the shot using the optical viewfinder to correct for parallax as best I could out of memory. I turn the camera on, the EVF clicks into place, and take my one shot. I hit the playback button and the camera dies on me again, but JUST after I saw that I got the shot. My small break in luck had run out again though, as I realized I left my debit card under my phone on my desk and didn't have enough cash for Louis to take one of his classic portraits of me with his 4x5 speed graphic camera. I had spent the last of my cash on the battery. Anyway, this is the one photo I will take today, I don't feel like leaving my apartment and risking anything else going wrong.

I realize this is a portrait, but this guy is literally a legend and fixture of NYC and is very much a part of what makes this place wonderful.

X100S (4x5 crop, out of respect to Mr. Mendes):
View attachment 12728
Untitled by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

Great shot of a classic street man - nice 5x4 (Speedgraphic?).

At least you managed to salvage one special event from a day full of disasters and unnecessary expense!

I hope you don't have anymore like that (apart from the actual meeting of an icon).

I absolutely love the look and feel of the evening shots. Very film like but it's something I haven't been able to figure out how to emulate. These are very inspiring for me so thank you!

Wow, rough day but I think it's salvaged by nailing that shot of Louis Mendes :D

I'd never heard of him before, unsurprisingly, but that article was really interesting, sounds like a great character. If I ever see him I'll be sure to get a portrait done!

Just had to add... apt quote from the article:

Louis Mendes said:
“I can do it on the spot,” he said. “You don’t need a lot of stuff to make a shot. You don’t need lights and tripods. Just look at your subject, look at the light and shoot. You don’t need to take a thousand pictures to get a good picture. You need one good picture. One shot.”

A slightly less thrilling set, but again, a good sample of the "mundane" from the past three or four days.

Joe's Pizza of Spiderman II fame. They've moved two doors or so down since Peter Parker worked there though. Good pies, but Ben's Pizza just three blocks away on MacDougal is better.
View attachment 12801
DSCF5481 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

THE best place to buy coffee and tea (beans and leaves, accordingly) in the village, Porto Rico.
View attachment 12802
DSCF5467 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

Chelsea Market, right by The Highline.
View attachment 12803
DSCF5445 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

5-Points in Long Island City, Queens. Right across the street from PS1 (MoMA's Contemporary Art wing... pics soon hopefully).
View attachment 12804
DSCF5507 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

The Citi Building and 7 train from street level, also in LIC.
View attachment 12805
DSCF5516 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

Typical street level view of some West Village Apartments that I'll never be able to afford. Le sigh.
View attachment 12806
DSCF5879 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

The newly perched spire of One World Trade Center went up yesterday, it's now officially the third tallest building in the world. This is the view from Thompson St, just south of Washington Square Park.
View attachment 12807
DSCF5875 by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr

nice to see where home once was. have you ever run into a mike kobal? he's another photographer that's all over there, taking pics with all his different cameras. i'm surprised he's not already here sharing his stuff. well, keep posting. (y)

(Sent from my EVO)

I'm from ny too. I live in queens. I just ordered my x100s and ill be having it next week. Looking forward to do street photography with you. It will be my first time to try this hobby.

Back