Fuji I <3 new york

Along the lines of my X100/X100S Fashion Portraiture thread, I will continually be adding images of the city I love. I'm pretty new to street photography in general, it's never been something I was or am particularly drawn to, but owning an X10 and now an X100S as well as my love for New York has kinda given me an appreciation for it. It will perhaps be a little less "touristy" as I tend to not spend too much time uptown further than 23rd Street (unless I'm in Central Park), but I do invite everyone to add NYC images from their X100/X100S here as well. Maybe we can grab a coffee/drink if anyone's ever in the city, I'd love to meet some of you guys :).

All these were taken between a walk through Washington Square Park, a coffee and a client meeting in the village, a hop on the F train for a quick shoot on Roosevelt Island, a ride on the Tramway (slower than the subway, but prettier) back to Manhattan, and then a beer and a burger at the Shake Shack in Madison Square Park.

X100S (Some of these are with the ND filter or, a teleconverter lens, or both):
View attachment 12602
Untitled by the_sardonic_iconic, on Flickr
View attachment 12603
View attachment 12604
Saw this poor little guy while on the couch at my fav coffee spot. Way too cute.
View attachment 12605
View attachment 12606
View attachment 12607
View attachment 12608
View attachment 12609
View attachment 12610
View attachment 12611
View attachment 12612
View attachment 12613
View attachment 12614
I thought a burger and a beer for dinner sounded like a good idea, apparently so did all of Chelsea and Gramercy.
View attachment 12615

66 years in NY and it's always great to see a beautiful interpretation. I think I've been on the tram once. Love the escalator shot. Younger days downtown, now more often than not way uptown. Either way, always something to find inspiration in. Keep up the great work!

Joe

These are just lovely. Different from street as we normally see it.....and all the better for it. Very refreshing. I cut my teeth on street there whilst on a visit in 2011. I am coming back in September for a week and I cannot wait. My wife is coming with her daughter in law....they are going to scorch it at Bloomies and Macy's. Me? I have my own room in a different hotel, can come and go as I like day or night. I am gonna burn that X100s, and when it dies from exhaustion, the XE1 will get a go too.

Had a pretty lazy day today, spent most of the day just catching up on emails and invoices while in Washington Square Park. Spring is finally in full swing and literally everyone and their dog is out soaking in as much perfect weather before the summer heat sets in. Then I walked up to Union Square for a quick client meeting and dinner with a friend. Not as varied or interesting as yesterday's set, but really it's the mundane realities of life in NYC that I find myself in love with.

X100S:
View attachment 12628
View attachment 12629
View attachment 12630
This Leica guy asked me to pose for him, then told me that "real" photographers don't use autofocus. He's right, I should probably quit now.
View attachment 12631
View attachment 12632
View attachment 12633
View attachment 12634

No doubt NY is a special place and I've been twice and still not even begun to scratch the surface. Funny how "foreign" lands seem that much more interesting than one's own. I look at Petach's pics and wonder if I shouldn't spend a day in London and take in our own sights sometime!

I went WAY downtown to the financial district today to pick up a deposit payment from a wedding client who works on Wall St. I figured I'd take a few photos of a part of the city that frankly, I NEVER spend time in, before taking the C train to two of my top five favourite neighborhoods in all the boroughs: Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass). I brought a book and stayed till sunset before taking the A train back to the West Village to the second best authentic chippy in NYC (I lived in England for a few years and CRAVE fish, chips, and peas every few months or so). I think what people don't realize is how incredibly varied New York City is over such a relatively small land area. There is literallly less than half a mile between the images from Wall St. and Dumbo. There are parts of the city where neighborhood divisions are so abrupt that if you're checking your instagram and forget to look up, you can get disoriented because the aesthetic is so different. Maybe sometime I'll do a series depicting these "transition" blocks...

X100S:
View attachment 12682
View attachment 12683
View attachment 12684
View attachment 12685
View attachment 12686
View attachment 12687
View attachment 12688
View attachment 12689
View attachment 12690
View attachment 12691
View attachment 12692
View attachment 12693

You know.....when I get in a yellow cab at JFK and you see Manhattan from the freeway....through the pollution smog. My heart picks up a beat, a shot of adrenaline courses through my blood, the anticipation of being in one of the most exciting cities in the world. That is how I feel on seeing these shots. Roll on September 21st.

Wonderful photos! One thing I love about NY is that it's always full of people walking everywhere. Or just hanging out. Here in Houston, we are a commuter city. Downtown is pretty much dead on the weekday nights and weekends except for the bar/club scene.

I'm planning to visit NYC in early September this year and these images are making me really impatient to jump on the plane sooner. They're the kind of photos I hope to take myself, supposing I ever get that X20 or X100s.

-R

Today I took the 7 train to go jam with some buddies who live in Queens, about four miles or so from Midtown (You can see One World Trade Center off in the distance in the first photo). On the way back into the city I plotted the most convenient way to avoid Times Square and take the Highline home. The Highline is basically the best thing to happen to the west side in the past five years: it's an old above-ground rail line that has been converted to a city park, and connects the southern tip of Hell's Kitchen through Chelsea and to the Meat Packing District, ending shortly after traveling underneath The Standard Hotel (pictured second to last). Protip: Good spot for a cheap date, and the you can get drinks/go out in the Meatpacking District below.

X100S:
View attachment 12715
View attachment 12716
View attachment 12717
View attachment 12718
View attachment 12719
View attachment 12720
View attachment 12721

In the second picture, I love the guy waving in the bottom right window, although I can't quite make out if it's a real person or he's been painted there.

The Highline is on my 'must see' list for September.

-R

Back