Sony Sony DSC-HX400V I am astonished at the performance of this camera

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
The better half (aka "The Spotter") and I were taking a stroll in Oakwood Cemetery mid-afternoon yesterday, hoping for some shots of clouds and fall foliage. Oakwood did not disappoint:

HX400V Oakwood skies 015.JPG

We were approaching the pond near the overlook when The Spotter said, "There's a big bird up there." I looked and could see what appeared to be a hawk, soaring waaaaay up there.

I unlimbered the Sony HX400V superzoom and began superzooming . . . and zooming . . . and zooming some more . . . into the digital zoom where the focus "square" becomes a largish dotted rectangle in the viewfinder. The challenge now is getting the bird in the viewfinder at all. Panning, panning, there he is . . . click!

The metadata says this is 1/1250th second, f/6.3, ISO 200. Now, here's the cool part: focal length: 215mm (actual, not "e", crop factor 5.62, that works out to 1208 mm e), digital zoom: 1.94, making the total equivalent focal length of 2,344mm e.

So here it is -- SOOC jpeg -- in all its maxed-out optical and digital zoominess:

HX400V Oakwood skies 016.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oh yeah, did I mention this is handheld?

For a camera that weighs a pound and half, I think it will suffice.

Cheers, Jock

Back