I am Humbled

Thanks for that... beautiful photographs.

Isnt the fuji f70EXR one of the last with the 1/1.6 sized sensor? I dpont know why they went with 1/2 in the end, the 1/1.6 was MUCH better.

Actually it was the first with the smaller sensor, however they went with 10/5Mp (the last when binned) so the pixel density was not so horrid.
The last of the 1/1.6" sensors in thie Fuji compacts was the F200EXR which is actually my favorite for IQ.
3906216060_4820f788fc_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5279269657_2c3900b215_o.jpg

Not that the F70EXR is any slouch!
5220024187_20972bfd2f_o.jpg

but this person is shooting and transcending the limitations of a camera most would blow off as a snapshot camera.
And THAT is humbling!

Thanks for sharing Lili. Pretty inspiring stuff.....

...makes me feel a little silly wanting better and better shiny camera stuff. Oh what an infliction this addiction is :blush:

I hove the pictures Lili.

I'm currently shooting a few of the Fujis:

• F11 - mindblowing for a 2005 camera. Reasonably good low light ISO even by modern compact camera standards, almost 7 years later
  • F200EXR - agreed; one of the best Fujifilm compacts for IQ. I love this camera and often pocket carry it. Compact size and pragmatic zoom range makes it a good 'only camera'
  • F300EXR - last before the switch from SuperCCD to BSI CMOS with the F500EXR/F550EXR, which I feel it smokes in DNR, exposure and flare. It's not the best for IQ. I don't like the heavy, clumpy noise reduction algorithm, lack of detail and relatively weaker low light high ISO SNR. However, there are things it can do that none of my other compact cameras can - namely extremely long range photography
  • X100 - no description required

I hove the pictures Lili.

I'm currently shooting a few of the Fujis:

• F11 - mindblowing for a 2005 camera. Reasonably good low light ISO even by modern compact camera standards, almost 7 years later
  • F200EXR - agreed; one of the best Fujifilm compacts for IQ. I love this camera and often pocket carry it. Compact size and pragmatic zoom range makes it a good 'only camera'
  • F300EXR - last before the switch from SuperCCD to BSI CMOS with the F500EXR/F550EXR, which I feel it smokes in DNR, exposure and flare. It's not the best for IQ. I don't like the heavy, clumpy noise reduction algorithm, lack of detail and relatively weaker low light high ISO SNR. However, there are things it can do that none of my other compact cameras can - namely extremely long range photography
  • X100 - no description required

Dan, nice selection! I think the lens on the 300 is superb, esp given its zoom range.
The Fuji CCD reached their zenith i think in the F200/70 series.
IMHO at least.
I do feel the siren call of the x100...
but to honor the spirit of this thread, I should just with what i got!

Great series there Lili! Really enjoyed it.

I'm with you 100%. Actually as deceiving as appearances might be I do try and exercise photography rather than the pursuit of photographic equipment. On this count, on another site, I started a challenge to help buck gear acquisition syndrome, called "Single in September". Here folks needed to take and post a photo every day for an entire month (September in it's first iteration) with the one lens and body. The exercise was to help people bond with that one lens and body...as well as bond photographers together - that's how me and Defektive met and became fast friends. It garnered a decent following and did help us all....for a while.

So, yes, photography should all be about the relationship between the photographer and the world around them. The gear is just the tool to aid their exploration and expression. But I still hold fast to the fact that most of us get frustrated and rather than direct it inward, focus it on the tools we use. Then you enter the loop of "I could take photos as good as HCB (or Trent Parke for me nowadays ;) ) if only I had what HCB had!". Of course, we usually fall short of admitting that it's not the Leicas that HCB "had", but a keen, sympathetic well-trained eye....not to mention his appreciation of geometry and sense of discipline :blush:.

So we are peas in a pod! :D

Thanks for sharing, a truly beautiful set you've shared. I'm currently forcing myself to shoot with what i've got, so this is very inspirational, thanks :)

Great series there Lili! Really enjoyed it.

I'm with you 100%. Actually as deceiving as appearances might be I do try and exercise photography rather than the pursuit of photographic equipment. On this count, on another site, I started a challenge to help buck gear acquisition syndrome, called "Single in September". Here folks needed to take and post a photo every day for an entire month (September in it's first iteration) with the one lens and body. The exercise was to help people bond with that one lens and body...as well as bond photographers together - that's how me and Defektive met and became fast friends. It garnered a decent following and did help us all....for a while.

So, yes, photography should all be about the relationship between the photographer and the world around them. The gear is just the tool to aid their exploration and expression. But I still hold fast to the fact that most of us get frustrated and rather than direct it inward, focus it on the tools we use. Then you enter the loop of "I could take photos as good as HCB (or Trent Parke for me nowadays ;) ) if only I had what HCB had!". Of course, we usually fall short of admitting that it's not the Leicas that HCB "had", but a keen, sympathetic well-trained eye....not to mention his appreciation of geometry and sense of discipline :blush:.

So we are peas in a pod! :D

Stills, I assume you were referring to the two not-mine series...yes they are very good indeed, awesome that first one especially.
I hear you about the Single in September idea; I have been toying with another such experiment. I really like the idea of shooting and posting one-a-day.
This Time though I am planning to go with my e510 and the 25mm pancake.
It is a very fast camera, not too huge and the draw esp in B&W is superb
5798646842_f3da20fae6_o.jpg

Thanks for sharing, a truly beautiful set you've shared. I'm currently forcing myself to shoot with what i've got, so this is very inspirational, thanks :)

Vince it is my honor to bring these two photographers to you alls attention.
I have been following your GAS thread with interest

Stills, I assume you were referring to the two not-mine series...yes they are very good indeed, awesome that first one especially.
I hear you about the Single in September idea; I have been toying with another such experiment. I really like the idea of shooting and posting one-a-day.
This Time though I am planning to go with my e510 and the 25mm pancake.
It is a very fast camera, not too huge and the draw esp in B&W is superb

Not sure Lili, I was referring to this set.....which I thought might be your handiwork.

I will be doing the same exercise as yourself very shortly. Once the Sigma DP2s - may she live forever around someone else's neck - is sold, then I have my eye on a specific lens intended for my Pentax K-r - a neat little dSLR as well. Much like your lens of choice, mine will be a 'normal' focal length in the 50mm (35mm equivalent) range. Hey if you can wait a few weeks (I hope it's no longer that 2 :eek:) then I'd be happy to play a support role...and have you to lean on as well. Actually, if you're keen we could get a little 'basket-weaving' group of our very own together :grouphug:....this might help Vince in his quest also?

Whaddyareckon?

Not sure Lili, I was referring to this set.....which I thought might be your handiwork.

I will be doing the same exercise as yourself very shortly. Once the Sigma DP2s - may she live forever around someone else's neck - is sold, then I have my eye on a specific lens intended for my Pentax K-r - a neat little dSLR as well. Much like your lens of choice, mine will be a 'normal' focal length in the 50mm (35mm equivalent) range. Hey if you can wait a few weeks (I hope it's no longer that 2 :eek:) then I'd be happy to play a support role...and have you to lean on as well. Actually, if you're keen we could get a little 'basket-weaving' group of our very own together :grouphug:....this might help Vince in his quest also?

Whaddyareckon?

Stills, that is my set and I am pleased by your praise!
As to your proposal, I agree.
Lemme know when you are ready.
As to DP2S, were in the US I would bite.
I know, I am falling back off the wagon here.
Seriously I even considered just using my F70EXR for this.
But the Oly is one of those things that scream my hand is complete when I picked them up.
Plus I like the discipline of one FL.
If I may, what lens are you looking at?

Stills, that is my set and I am pleased by your praise!
As to your proposal, I agree.
Lemme know when you are ready.
As to DP2S, were in the US I would bite.
I know, I am falling back off the wagon here.
Seriously I even considered just using my F70EXR for this.
But the Oly is one of those things that scream my hand is complete when I picked them up.
Plus I like the discipline of one FL.
If I may, what lens are you looking at?

A shame the postage is a killer, had a few folks interested from the US but this seems the common stumbling block. It really is an outstanding kit, and took me some time and patience to piece together. I fear I'll miss the outputs - as nothing when you get it right really comes close to the Foveon outputs. But again, I too have too much kit and must be true to myself and recognise the fact that I'll never be without a dSLR - just for the sheer fact of the macro and long lens options. So I'm going to consolidate the dSLR kit.

The 'offending' lens in question, and I have chased after her for so long, is the Pentax FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited. It is a legend in Pentax circles and I am struck by its rendering and 46mm focal length. Also if Pentax ever releases a full-frame body (not likely), or I grab a film body (more likely) then the 31mm FL will suit me just nicely. It just does seems my best fit go-to lens.

Glad for your offer of support. If you can give me a little time to get my kit together then we'll talk about logistics with hosting this challenge. Happy to speak to the Mods to get it running here, or at least host a presence here with a link back to a Flickr Group? Again, maybe a fortnight or so?

Back