Film I am very sad to see the demise of this?

I guess you get what you pay for Matt? I am just so surprised that Fuji went to all that trouble to tool up for a totally new product only to take it off the market so quickly
I generally agree with what you say, but they have; truth be told, it was - and still is - a "state of the art" camera using pretty dated (but extremely solid!) technology, and it came out just when the film market collapsed - talk about bad timing. But I think it's a wonderfully designed and executed product - the price appeared fair enough when it was announced; I remember thinking long and hard about getting it even then ...

So, for what it's worth, the GF670 as well as the GF670W are extremely desirable - but they're not the only cameras available with this kind of feature set on the very busy used market, except maybe for the "modern folder" part, but it's debatable how much this adds to the equation. Older similar models like the Plaubel Makina 67 (for which there was also a "Wide" set option) with its added ability to change the lenses pack up even smaller and deliver tech on par with what the Fujis offer. And let's not forget Fuji's older offerings - they're very good in their own right, but cost about 20-50% of the GF670 at current prices. And if you can forego the meter, there are tons of older, yet very fine models out there, some of which can be acquired for a song.

I'm not bashing the GF670 in any way, mind you - but then again, I got my Mamiya 6 MF for half of what they're going for; and since acquiring the 50mm, I'm able to change lenses - at a cost that's still not equal to two thirds of the "street" (read: online) prices the GF670, let alone the GF670W, goes for.

You sure get a wonderful camera for what you pay - but prices aren't competitive in my opinion (yet).

M.

Back