I bought a Framework Laptop. AMA

Recently replaced my Dell XPS13 with a Right to Repair Framework laptop.

13" 3:2 screen, Intel i7- 1280P, 64 GB RAM, 4TB SSD. It was $1700 less than an equivalent Macbook Pro 14 and in 2-3 years I can upgrade the motherboard/CPU, RAM, SSD, battery, screen, etc.

Been using it for about a month. i7-1280 is fast but runs hot (fan noise). Working great but battery life sucks. But I use it plugged in most of the time, and the BIOS lets me set maximum charge to 80% so I'm not constantly filling the battery and compromising its long-term health.

Ask Me Anything.

Very interesting design. I use mostly Panasonic CF-52 and CF-53 computers for development, make use of the Disk Caddy to run multiple OS, from DOS, XP, Win10, and Linux Fedora on the same machine.

Does the BIOS feature backwards compatibility to boot DOS and FreeDOS?

"Right to repair"- I'm used to that... Going back to repairing a memory board on a PDP-11/20. Soldering required.

Recently replaced my Dell XPS13 with a Right to Repair Framework laptop.

13" 3:2 screen, Intel i7- 1280P, 64 GB RAM, 4TB SSD. It was $1700 less than an equivalent Macbook Pro 14 and in 2-3 years I can upgrade the motherboard/CPU, RAM, SSD, battery, screen, etc.

Been using it for about a month. i7-1280 is fast but runs hot (fan noise). Working great but battery life sucks. But I use it plugged in most of the time, and the BIOS lets me set maximum charge to 80% so I'm not constantly filling the battery and compromising its long-term health.

Ask Me Anything.
Interesting. Do they make an AMD version? I haven't bought Intel for the last few systems.

I used to build my own desktops, but went with a laptop almost a year ago when GPUs were still insanely priced. I have seen these laptops around online and am intrigued. If I do not go back to a desktop I might consider one of these next time I buy a computer. Cool to see somebody actually using one.

I assume it is an on-chip GPU? My laptop 3070 is great but probably overkill for the relatively light gaming I do and the Capture One exports, very little video.

Does the BIOS feature backwards compatibility to boot DOS and FreeDOS?

The largest group of Framework owners right now appear to be developers. They run all manner of Linux and share their experiences on the community page - Framework Community

Interesting. Do they make an AMD version? I haven't bought Intel for the last few systems.

Not yet. They just released the second iteration of their Intel i7 motherboard. There is a lot of interest in an AMD motherboard, which would be cool. Since the laptop is user serviceable, I'd be able to swap out my Intel motherboard for an AMD motherboard if one comes to market. And people are 3-D printing small cases for their old motherboards to create mini PCs when they do upgrade.

I used to build my own desktops, but went with a laptop almost a year ago when GPUs were still insanely priced. I have seen these laptops around online and am intrigued. If I do not go back to a desktop I might consider one of these next time I buy a computer. Cool to see somebody actually using one.

I assume it is an on-chip GPU? My laptop 3070 is great but probably overkill for the relatively light gaming I do and the Capture One exports, very little video.

Yeah, it's using the on-chip Intel GPU - Iris XE. It's a lot better than Intel's previous integrated GPU and can playback the 5.6K 360 degree videos I shoot smoothly. I do believe that some people have managed to run external GPUs through the USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports.

Back