Critique Wanted I don't know why I like it...

P.H

Regular
but I do.
A photo taken at the weekend of nothing in particular, a green field and a yellow field with a blue sky. Of the 20ish photos I'm keeping from a short cycling and camping break, I'm drawn to this one and I don't know why.
So your opinions and critique appreciated. If no one else likes it, that's fine it won't affect my enjoyment of it. If anyone does like it I'd be interested to know why, a better understanding would maybe improve my keep/delete ratio.
5688585544_35fe21876d_z.jpg

There's a few more from the same trip on my Flicker here;
Raptor weekend

I like it too...but I know why and it's also the reason you like it but don't know why...

It's a classic composition. Bear with me ok...
We start with the line that separates the hills... It's a beautiful feminine shape.
The color between the hills is wonderful, creating eye travel and interest.
The trees, starting from the left, lead the eye forward to center to the right side.
The clouds create a relaxed flow of eye travel and then in the upper right, that cloud completes the journey but leads the eyes back to the lower clouds and it starts all over again.

I could write more but I think you get the point.
I don't know what photography means to you. All I can say is, this image you should be proud of.
If this is an image that really effects you, I would suggest you look at some of the Dutch Masters.... Painters not shooters...
This is a motif they used all the time...
Don

I know why I like it - for all the reasons that Don/Streetshooter has posted, that Willo8032 and Nic have posted and because - bottom line - it speaks to me. :bravo-009:

You don't need to "know why" - you just need to know. Well done, P.H., and thank goodness we can click on it and go to Flickr to see it in its full, large sized glory! Please don't hold back on posting in the large size that Flickr and Serious Compacts offer - because your photograph is worth it.

P.S. Next time, use the html code for "share this" via Flickr and we really will be able to click directly on your photograph. But thanks so much for the link to your stream this time, P.H.

but I do.
A photo taken at the weekend of nothing in particular, a green field and a yellow field with a blue sky. Of the 20ish photos I'm keeping from a short cycling and camping break, I'm drawn to this one and I don't know why.
So your opinions and critique appreciated. If no one else likes it, that's fine it won't affect my enjoyment of it. If anyone does like it I'd be interested to know why, a better understanding would maybe improve my keep/delete ratio.
5688585544_35fe21876d_z.jpg

There's a few more from the same trip on my Flicker here;
Raptor weekend - a set on Flickr

This is very painterly, perfectly composed, lovely color contrasts/compliments.
Is it Monet this reminds me of?

What Don said except that for me my eye settles first on the brightness of the yellow field of rape (I assume), then picks up the wall and the trees in the lwer right and follows this into the distance on the left side of the frame suggesting further depths. Absolutely beautiful. Print it, frame it, and hang it on the wall.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, especially Don for his detailed analysis (Some of which I follow!) I'm pleased it's not just me who likes it. I do take on board BBWs comment about not needing to know why, I also know people who can be in the same place as me and get better shots and I think this comes from their better understanding of what makes a good image. There's no false modesty here, some of the photos I've taken have made me think WOW! It's just I'd like to know what was going to make a good shot before I press the shutter, rather than finding the good one from hundreds of hopefuls.
Thanks again.

I like the colours and lines in this shot but think their is probably a bit too much low-featured sky. Maybe try cropping part of the sky and see if you like it as much as a panorama.

Then again I'm just learning so take this with a grain of salt:confused:

I like it too, it's nice and clean and simple with lovely shapes and colours, and on top of all the techy stuff, it reminds me very much of the fields behind my childhood home. It would make a lovely screensaver too.

Back