Critique Wanted I don't know why I like it...

i think it's a great photo. it's having its own imperfections, but it's transforming it in something even more perfect to our eyes.
Don has explained it with meaningful words. and since you asked for feedbacks, let me add my own layer of explanation, mostly based on composition.
BBS was mentioning that it is not useful to know the "why", and i would completely agree with her, since an image speaks to the senses first. you have a "feel" for an image in the same way you have a feel for a smell or a tone. it just speaks to you. however, there are underlying reasons that can give an insight as to why we prefer specific shots, and these reasons are often driven by what Luckypenguin was calling the "flow". but there are many additional parameters. and parameters, when there are well put in place, can give amazing results, and impactful photos.

PH-photo-01.jpg

1 - rule of thirds.
i drew this in a snap on top of the photo, so bare with me if the lines aren't perfect. in 1, you have the rule of thirds that we all know. and as you can see, the largest tree is very close to the lower left third. close enough to have our eyes consider that it's an ideal position for it. it does represent the main subject of the shot.

2 - static horizon.
indeed, as you know, having an horizon line placed at the center of the frame is something often considered as a flaw, BUT it all depends of the subject, and what you want to convey. true, it will "block" the flow in a way, but it will replace it by a relaxing balance that will stick to the subject.

PH-photo-02.jpg

3 - diagonals.
strong composition often rely on a good usage of diagonals. why? because diagonals, when properly used, always add dynamism to the images. of course, it all depends how you will use them, and how they interact with the features of your shots: main subject, secondary subjects, etc.
here's a great explanation by Alfie Goodrich: Composition 101: The Basic

4 - Rhythm
yes, rhythm. it's what makes the image sing. a smart repetition will allow the viewer to better "enter" into the image. it's like counting. if you had only one tree in there, you would count to one. and then you would be done. but in this image, we can count to 8. and, even better, we can count to 8, while having our eyes use the diagonal! perfect. the other reason why multiple similar features like trees here, are important, is that any types of repetitions will instantly attract the eyes, our eyes are drawn to anything that looks alike.
finally, repetitions emphasize the perspective of images. if you have the same subject, repeated at a different distance, it adds depth, and the eyes rely on depth to better comprehend a space. voila!

PH-photo-03s.jpg

5 - curves and counter curves. Don was calling it "beautiful feminine shape.". that's exactly what it is. to each curve, corresponds a counter curve. it adds beauty to the visual flow. it leads the eyes to where you want your subject to be.

i think the image also reads this way: the leading line is the stone wall. the eye starts somewhere around the lower right third, where the small trees are. you then follow the line until you reach the main tree. central subject. then you continue the line until you reach the final tree on the left side. the blue and pink curve ALL pointto that tree, they're actually touching it! true, in western societies, we read things from left to right, so my explanation is kinda biased here. but the sense of lecture is only one parameter. you have many others anyway.

6 - the cloud
because you have additional clouds in the center of the frame, i would tend to agree that it does make a fine repetition. however, that cloud is far too outcentered to really be of any help for the final composition. i personally think it's too much of a flaw here. i am of course ONLY speaking about composition here, not about the theme or poetry of the shot.

that's about it!
it's a fine image, PH!
i just felt like giving my own extrapolations. i hope you will find it useful!
it's actually a great exercise.!

nicolas - sparth

WOW:)
Thanks to briarhopper for resurrecting this thread, to those who've added their kind comments and to Nicolas for such a detailed analysis. Every time I learn a bit I also learn how much I don't know! The website above is somewhat mind boggling, and that's just the basics?? How much of this stuff do people have in mind when pointing the camera and how much comes after? I've a feeling that's what differentiates a photographer from a lucky snapper! I'm firmly in the latter camp, though I'm sure anything I learn will prove useful.
This was my favorite photo of 2011, though having looked at it long enough to get bored with it, it'd disappeared into a folder, I've enjoyed revisiting it.

Back