Micro 4/3 I fell for the antihype… G9 Autofocus is so good!

11GTCS

Regular
I feel like for most of my time in the MFT (since back in 2019) I’ve been being preached to about how bad DFD and contrast based AF is, especially in AF-C. I’ve just followed the party line advice that if you want dependable AF, you need to get one of the PDAF Olympus/OM bodies. I’ve jumped in and out of MFT over the years, but every time I’ve chosen an Olympus/OM because it was the “photographer’s camera” (I don’t shoot video) and because Panasonic autofocus is “way worse” etc.

That said, I needed an affordable big body to go with my OM5 for bigger lenses and tripod work etc. I was tempted by the used prices of the OM-1 as I’ve worked with that camera in the last year and enjoyed it. Then I saw how cheap the original G9s have gotten and decided to pull the trigger. What an awesome camera! With the post-2.4 firmware the AF honestly feels like 85% of what I was getting with the OM-1 and actually better than the E-M1 Mk III/OM-5 for AF-C of people/animals.

I guess I’m mostly just disappointed in having fallen for the tropes this whole time! I’m sure the G9II/GH7 are all the better for PDAF, and yeah the OM is slightly better, but for around 500-600 nowadays I can’t think of an MFT with better autofocus. Am I missing something here?

Some grab shots from my first day shooting with it so this isn’t a complete wall of text!

P1010057.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010036.jpeg

P1010115-topaz-denoise-sharpen.jpeg

The G9 is a beast, and Panny kept improving it with firmware updates. I can say it's a good camera, and a great value used. Just be mindful of the rubber on the card hatch. I always tried to open the hatch by pushing on the plastic grooves, not the rubber part. It will help keep if from delaminating up by where your thumb rests.

I've also been impressed with the lesser Panasonics. My GX80 tracked some action to a decent success, although it does look wild during CAF and you can't be certain of anything. (Then again, you can't be certain of a good-looking tracking autofocus actually following the action until you get the photos on your light table...)

I loved mine, but couldn't really get to terms with the sheer bulk of it and tended to not bring it for day to day use, so after a short year with the OM-1, which has 1/3 more shutter actuations in 10 months than the G9 had after 5 years of ownership, the G9 was sold off last week. Cant fault the user experience of it, though.

Rock solid performer, just too bulky for my tastes. Enjoy the heck out of yours, 11GTCS. :drinks:

I loved mine, but couldn't really get to terms with the sheer bulk of it and tended to not bring it for day to day use, so after a short year with the OM-1, which has 1/3 more shutter actuations in 10 months than the G9 had after 5 years of ownership, the G9 was sold off last week. Cant fault the user experience of it, though.

Rock solid performer, just too bulky for my tastes. Enjoy the heck out of yours, 11GTCS. :drinks:
That was my conclusion as well, and part of what gives me pause on the G9ii. While the G9 is big, the ergos are pretty nice. I've yet to handle a G9ii to see if it's good, but the layout on it looks pretty nice.

That was my conclusion as well, and part of what gives me pause on the G9ii. While the G9 is big, the ergos are pretty nice. I've yet to handle a G9ii to see if it's good, but the layout on it looks pretty nice.
I dont have much time on the G9II, but finger-oogling one of them confirmed that the decision of not to wait for it, but go for the OM-1 was the right one for me.

I’m also a late adopter of the G9, picked one up brand new just ahead of the G9ii announcement. Initially I was kicking myself for not waiting especially when I saw the G9ii had PDAF. But I paid £1000 for the G9 with the PL12-60 and the G9ii even now is £2249 with the same lens.

I don’t shoot video and have owned a few LUMIX bodies over the years and have a nice selection of lenses. For my use cases I had been pretty happy with the DFD autofocus system and the G9 has impressed me so far. I was seeing a few issues initially when using AFF but I’m currently using AFS with human detect and it’s been great. As you mentioned the firmware updates made to the G9 over the years mean it’s far improved over when it launched. It’s a great value proposition at the current market price.

Back