Fuji I figured out LR sharpening

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I have been playing around with the current version of LR classic to see if I could lose the worm artifacts. And I think I figured it out. The issue lies in the detail slider. Keeping it at 0 seems to do the trick. This is shot at iso 200. The settings were
Sharpening
Amount 75
Radius 1
Detail 0
Masking 44
i-Pw2ch5z-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-mxMJh55-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know people were also getting by doing the sharpening in photoshop or camera raw also. At least we know sharpening can be done in LR if anyone wants to stay in one editor.

I guess that’s just my misunderstanding the issue at hand. I thought you’d regularly get worms when sharpening, but changing the settings made them stay away. I was just curious about the difference the detail slider makes as opposed to the sharpening presets in Lightroom Classic.

This is interesting. I've read other articles that claim that the AMOUNT slider in LR coupled with the demosaicing algorithm was the culprit. They recommended using low AMOUNT and all DETAIL with a MASKING around 45 and RADIUS of 0.7.

I've tested this with good results.

Perhaps there is more than one way to skin this cat. I'll definitely be investigating this approach as well. It could be that both have merit depending on the type of image and the ISO.

I've read other articles that claim that the AMOUNT slider in LR coupled with the demosaicing algorithm was the culprit. They recommended using low AMOUNT and all DETAIL with a MASKING around 45 and RADIUS of 0.7.

When I can't be bothered to use Iridient X Transformer I use similar LR settings to those published earlier to achieve decent results.

For me the key is in the detail slider staying high which I read means high deconvolution....the secret behind Focus Magic my all time favourite sharpener.

This is interesting. I've read other articles that claim that the AMOUNT slider in LR coupled with the demosaicing algorithm was the culprit. They recommended using low AMOUNT and all DETAIL with a MASKING around 45 and RADIUS of 0.7.

Perhaps there is more than one way to skin this cat. I'll definitely be investigating this approach as well. It could be that both have merit depending on the type of image and the ISO.
I gave these settings a try. And the results were really really close to the settings I used above. Nearly indistinguishable. So there are two ways around the worm issue.

I gave these settings a try. And the results were really really close to the settings I used above. Nearly indistinguishable. So there are two ways around the worm issue.

So it sounds like the moral of the story is that you should use either amount or detail, but never both.

Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do a side by side of the two methods.

Back