I Finally Have My Bearings - and They Point to Fuji and Panasonic Full Frame

Paul, I'd agree with most of what Rob says. HDR bracketing probably will level the shadow advantage - but perhaps Rob's assuming that S5 owners don't bracket :)

I disagree that regular shots at low ISOs are practically indistinguishable, at least from the EM1X and Mk2 (I don't have a Mk3). I can tell, but maybe my Sigma Art lenses are better than my Olympus Pro lenses?

Then there's post processing. I've uploaded a RAW file, shot handheld at low ISO on a nice day. Load it into Camera RAW or Capture One and see how far you can push the sliders. To my eye, the biggest differences are indeed apparent in post processing.

I only shoot RAW and I don't do video - I am in a minority but post processing is part of the enjoyment for me - not everyone will take the same approach.
Yeah, the degree of PP that a file from a 24Mp BSI FF sensor will take is well beyond what any m43 sensor will give you. In this sense I'm (once again) tempted by the FF call. Like you, I do a lot of PP and consider it an important part of the art and I like doing it. There are definitely times when I run out of headroom with my current gear - unless I shoot a bracketed burst. That fixes the shadow noise issue, but it raises problems with subject movement and also additional PP time. I find that HHHR and LiveND are also useful tools to help with shadow noise, but these have similar limitations with respect to subject movement.

The problem though is that I really don't want to run two systems. I guess I could perhaps look to an S5 plus 16-35 and 24-105 as a "landscape" kit, keeping m43 for long-lens work. But, I know that I'd find just two lenses limiting since I often use the 8mm fisheye and the 12-100 at max stretch in many landscape scenarios. Getting to 200mm on FF will be expensive and heavy. I also don't do a lot of long-lens photography so keeping another system just for this would be a bit excessive.

Maybe I'll just grab a used S5 with the 20-60 and see how I get on. If I like it, then maybe I'll get some better idea of what to do with the m43 kit. Or maybe I'll do nothing and just keep ploughing the Olympus furrow - I do like the system so letting go won't be easy.

Well, I found a minty S5 on eBay at a decent price and have picked up a 20-60 from MPB at a good price too. Total spend £1100, both with 14-day return options. So, let's give it a whirl!! I sort of hope I don't find it compelling and can then sell it again, chalking it up to experience. If it doesn't turn out that way then I'll need to think really hard about lenses. I like the look of the Sigma 16-28 f2.8 as a UWA, and the Sigma 28-70 or the Panasonic 24-105 as a std zoom, but I don't see too many good options beyond that which are decent, not too big/heavy/£$/€. Well, we'll see...

Hi Paul,

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Live comp
4) 7 fps S-AF, 5 fps C-AF.
5) Yes. Save settings to C1 etc. Enable bracketing and set burst mode on a dial, save as a custom setting to say C1. Then with the left knob set to single frame, setting C1 will override the left knob and put you in burst mode.
6) I bought the S5 with 50mm f1.8 as a kit with cashback, then sold the 50mm on ebay and bought an ex demo Sigma Art 24-70 f2.8. It's a heavy but beautiful lens, but I've got my MFT kit at the moment if I want to travel light. Also picked up a smallrig l-bracket for next to nothing (compared to RRS!) which is an excellent fit to the camera.
Richard - I’ve just got my S5. No lens yet (on its way), but I’m playing with the menus etc! First challenge is that I’m struggling with setting up over exposure indicators on live view. Can you help? If I go into “Monitor / Display (Photo)“, I can see there’s a “Blinking Highlights” setting, but it only seems to affect photos on playback. It doesn’t appear in Liveview. What am I missing?

24C98CB6-B5F8-4CD0-8812-83781B1B6FA3.jpeg

Richard - I’ve just got my S5. No lens yet (on its way), but I’m playing with the menus etc! First challenge is that I’m struggling with setting up over exposure indicators on live view. Can you help? If I go into “Monitor / Display (Photo)“, I can see there’s a “Blinking Highlights” setting, but it only seems to affect photos on playback. It doesn’t appear in Liveview. What am I missing?

View attachment 347709
Your help comes under the name of "zebra stripes" in Panasonic cameras. For whatever reason they offer zebra for LV and blinkies for review.

And I’ve just bagged a (hopefully) decent 24-105 from LCE at a good price. So, my L mount kit is complete!

- Sigma 16-28
- Panasonic 24-105
- Panasonic 50/1.8
- TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye
- Panasonic 20-60

I may let the 20-60 go, but I paid so little for it, it’s probably best kept for lightweight use.

I think I’ll hang fire selling any of my m43 lenses just yet, but if I continue to enjoy the S5, I’ll probably sell most of it, keeping just the 40-150/2.8 + TC for long lens stuff. But the 12-100 may stay too!

I must say that I'm really enjoying using the S5. Somehow it's a much better experience than when I ran a Z7 a couple of years back. Dunno why, but the S5 just feels like a really well sorted camera and it's enjoyable to use. I have no real complaints apart from wanting a better EVF. The S5ii will fix that, but I'm in no real hurry to upgrade.

So, I'm now feeling that I'll soon be letting go the bulk of my m43 gear. I'll keep the EM1.3 and the 40-150/2.8 + TC, but that's all. For landscape use, the S5 really is a much better tool and if I restrict myself to the reach on the 24-105, it's really no bigger than my usual EM1.3 kit - PL 8-18 plus 12-100. Of course, the 12-100 has a much bigger range, but that's how it is with FF. I may at some point add something longer to the L-mount kit, but I'm going to see if I really need it first.

And just an edit to the lens list above - following the announcement of the Panasonic 14-28, I returned the Sigma 16-28. I've got a pre-order in for the 14-28; now I'm impatient!

Back