Fuji I finally killed the X-T1

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
I guess "wounded" is more accurate - I expect they can fix it. I think people might be interested to hear what's wrong with it, and then see how the "send it to Fuji in new Jersey" repair process goes.

I'm somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 images into the X-T1, which I bought new 2? years ago, whenever it came out. I'm pretty good to it, but I also use it much, much more than most people who buy these. Between my wife's photo-heavy bike tourism website needs, my event photography, and my general addiction to taking pictures, the camera has honestly not sat still for longer than MAYBE 3 days in its life. It's been to more places than I can count, often being shot 1-handed while biking.

- The rubber grip began to soften and lose its adhesive months ago, and got so sloppy I finally just peeled the right rear piece that goes around the grip off entirely. No functional effect on performance, just a little more slippery.
- At some point it fell against something lightly but cracked the bottom corner of the rear LCD covering. No effect on LCD itself, just ugly.
- Saturday, the shutter suddenly froze. I rebooted a few times and got maybe 5 more shots, then it froze again and stayed frozen. When you take the lens off, you can see the shutter about 7/8 closed.

So... I must now fill out the web form, print, and mail her off to Fuji in Jersey. I assume NONE of this will be warranty work, and I wouldn't argue with that assessment. I've used the sh_t out of this thing for 2+ years, and it's been basically perfect.

Updates to follow.

IIRC......... Fuji rate their shutters at 100K (or even 150K) actuations, so let's hope they show you some sympathy!

I guess we'll see. Sadly I did not bring it with me to work, and I don't know my serial number, so I can't finish with the form. I'll bring it in tomorrow with a box, and ship it out at lunch.

As for 100k actuations, I wonder if my 40,000ish jpgs actually mean 2x or 3x that many "actuations?"

well I guess the shutter needs to close and open, then close, then open to take a shot, so maybe they count that twice?

Camera arrived in NJ Friday the 26th of May, just before the long 3 day holiday weekend. They got to opening it Tuesday before noon, and sent a confirmation email. By today, Thursday the 2nd, I hadn't seen an estimate, so I followed the link from the email, put in the order # and zip code, and it said it was waiting on me to approve the estimate (that I hadn't gotten.)

The estimate was about $300 plus $20 shipping, which I happily approved and paid for right then and there on the form page. Now we see when it comes back...

I got it back last night. Twas $300 to fix, and another $20 or so to ship to me. It arrived with...

- A new back plate
- A new top plate
- A new rear LCD
- A new main board
- The missing 3 screws on the bottom replaced
- NO BOTTOM PLUG! The little rubber guy that covers the electronic connection to the accessory battery grip... that thing. It was missing.

So I called today, talked to the actual tech who fixed it, he agreed it was a goof, they're mailing one ASAP. I am very, very happy with the experience. It looks new, expect for the bottom bits on the front plate where the brassing was / still is.

And it's great to know that Fuji's repair service, while not perfect, was a positive experience for you. That's not what we hear from a lot of Pentax and Nikon owners about their respective authorized repairs.

Yep. Made me even happier with my gear decisions. Told a Leica friend at daughter's school about the service experience and price, and his first response (after raised eyebrows) was "so it was under warranty?" I guess that meant that $300 would be the Leica price with warranty?

Good news Kyle and so pleased you had such a good experience, I had reason to send my X100 in a few years ago and the service was top notch.
Great to see Fuji delivers on aftersales just as well as it does on product and updates - another reason to boy Fuji (the photographers friend).

I really think that's half the appeal with Fuji: after-purchase support. It's not just service and repair. It's Fuji's sincere efforts to keep its cameras as current as they can within the limits of the hardware via firmware update. Clearly, Fuji wants us to consider their cameras as an investment.

Back