Micro 4/3 "I got plenty o' nuthin..."

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Sold my NEX-5 and need help deciding between the G3 and the E-P3. Have an m4/3-Nikon adapter for my macro lens for shooting bees and such, just a bit gun-shy on the Olympus as my old E-P1 has been quite a step in the wrong direction from the NEX as far as adapting lenses. I do have the X100 and need to supplement with one of these kits. I wish I could post some fabulous pictures I've seen from both camps that I could go, "THERE, THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!, I WISH I TOOK THAT ONE WITH THAT RIG!!!" So, I definitely want FAST AF, but if that's about the only thing image quality wise, the E-P3 has over the E-P1, the choice will be the the Panasonic. (Brown me thinks) Please give me a shove.

Tango,
Bruce

I have the G3 and have had a play with the E-P3. The E-P3 is a lovely camera if a bit heavy. The rear screen is really nice (Nicer than the G3) and works well in touch mode. The thing that persuaded me to get the G3 was the tilt screen and EVF both of which the E-P3 does not have. The swivel screen is superb and works well on touch mode but is not as smooth as the E-P3. The EVF is excellent, really really good.

Image quality: I am really impressed with the IQ from the G3. JPG's look great and with a bit of fiddling with the 'Photo Styles' you can produce stunning image quality without having to do much in post processing. Raw files also look good but i have been using the supplied Silkypix for editing RAW. I'm eagerly awaiting the Adobe update.

The only images I have seen from the E-P3 look really good but I have not seen anything stunning yet but I know this camera is capable of great images.

Let us know what you end up getting and good luck!

The EP3 is wonderful. Truly amazing step over the EP1. For native lenses. Most of it's really cool features are around the AF side of the house. Worthless if you are doing adapted lenses! I'd go G3. But in terms of "this is fantastic" with native lenses, the EP3 is a lot of fun, though as Andy says, it feels a bit weighty in the hand. I love it, though.

It's a also a little pricey. With an Oly coupon and selling the kit lens, I still put out US$700 for body only. For me, it's very much worth it. If you are going adapted, then I'd suggest the G3 first.

I don't own either camera, but from the sample images that I've seen, the G3 has better IQ than the EP3 only when you hit ISO1600 and above. So if you don't use high ISO often, then IQ is a toss up. IMO, the EP3's IQ is better than the EP1, even if it's simply due to the weaker AA filter.

Yeah, that's what concerns me is that after the NEX, the Pen was a big step backwards in image quality, that being said, I just couldn't live with that KACHUNKIN loud Sony shutter after being spoiled by the X100's near silent operation...

Ok. color me crazy...I just ordered a new NEX-C3 to replace the 5! In reviewing my recent images using the 5, if my E-P1 is any indication, it's clear that the C3 will be a far better choice for me for adapting my Nikon glass. Thanks all!

Well, you might well be our first with this camera, so I for one will look forward to seeing how you get on with the new Sony.

Yessir! I will be interested also. I'm using my Nex 5 again and there's something about the files that make me drunk...in a good way...
It really turns me on....

You ain't got no peaking on that stupid camera.
Maybe you haven't tried the peaking but I gotta tell ya... I'll never us ML lenses on a camera without it. I have not neede a magnified view on any lens yet.
Wonderful invention I tell ya..

Aye Mattie..... I started playing around with my Nex 5 to compare with the X100...
Big mistake! At 12800, the images floored me. It was very low light but I still got Red peaking and not a single image out of focus... Oh my.....
I want so much to hate the Nex but alas.. We be sleeping together once again....
I'm 3 sheets in the wind in love....

Andy, my wife sure don't either.
So my friend, can you actually resist the Nex 7?
Seriously, I would think it would turn you on.

Try as I may, I can't get excited about the new m43 stuff.
It just doesn't get me hooked.

The NEX7 does indeed look the 'monkey's crown jewels' but it is still let down by a very poor selection of lenses. I'm going to have a go with my MF lenses on the G3 and see how i get on. I had a very quick play this afternoon but the results were pretty poor.

I won't mention the persons name but he returned the G3 after just a few days.
The thing that gets me is the Nex sensor just blows away anything in the m43 arena. I just can't get past that. On a monitor things kinda look good. When you get prints made....
Well.... Nuff said.

Don- that was the clincher for me...I did RAW side by sides with same Nikon glass on the E-P1 and the NEX. It wasn't even a contest, the Sony images had virtually no noise and detail till the cows sat down to dinner. (sigh, yes... I just made that saying up) Something about having a tiny body/huge sensor on the back of a Nikkor 105 just seems like an addictive efficiency in a way.

Back