I had a stroke last night

John,

Just checking in on you; I'm still in a holding pattern right now, so I'm heading to school in a couple of hours. They rescheduled me to the 16th (Friday) and hopefully it will happen then. We have a pretty good sized winter storm heading our way tonight into Tuesday, so I might be teaching at home for the next couple of days. The school gave me Thursday off "gratis" as I have burned up all my personal & sick days between my wife's surgeries in the Fall, and now my own situation. No rest for the weary I suppose...:(.

Anyway, I hope that you are making progress to get out of the hospital front door and back to your own humble abode.

Regards,

Edd

Sorry to hear that you are also up against it, Edd. :( .

My situation has slightly "improved", in that after "only" six days, the Alfred Hospital has finally received copies of my operation reports from the Epworth and Cabrini hospitals! So I might be having the essential MRI brain scan today. I could have walked to both faster ...

I ripped a strip off the neurosurgeon this morning about the incompetence of the systems here. As a retired systems analyst, I find it offensive that they are so incompetent. Not the surgical staff, nurses, etc, but the administrative systems.

Sorry to hear that you are also up against it, Edd. :( .

My situation has slightly "improved", in that after "only" six days, the Alfred Hospital has finally received copies of my operation reports from the Epworth and Cabrini hospitals! So I might be having the essential MRI brain scan today. I could have walked to both faster ...

I ripped a strip off the neurosurgeon this morning about the incompetence of the systems here. As a retired systems analyst, I find it offensive that they are so incompetent. Not the surgical staff, nurses, etc, but the administrative systems.
Good Evening John,

Admin staffs seem to have extremes when it comes to their levels of competency, or the lack thereof. I've seen it in the military, industry, and now in the education sector. As my last superintendent said on many occasions, "If plain, ordinary people just did their jobs, we would be all set". I second that motion...:drinks:

You take care and I will be around and checking in on you and the ranch until Thursday night, when I need to get into the "zone" prior to my next adventure.

Regards,

Edd

As a retired systems analyst, I find it offensive that they are so incompetent. Not the surgical staff, nurses, etc, but the administrative systems.

John, it's everywhere. Very few people seem to have pride in their work any more. Everything is too much trouble.

In the last week:

I'm buying a lease extension on my mother-in-law's house from a one-man-band company.
Question "can you confirm the length of the extended lease that you've quoted 50K for please? Is it 90, 99 or 150 years?"
Answer "I'll write to your solicitor".

On behalf of a customer who wanted to screw a disposable teat onto a ready made baby feed bottle on a long-haul flight.
Question "Your 250ml bottle as illustrated seems to have the same cap as the 70ml bottle which accepts a 40mm threaded teat. But I can see that your picture is a composite [it was a terrible composite]. Can you confirm the thread size please?"
Answer "The 250ml bottle isn't designed to take a teat".

A medical equipment company who failed to deliver my wife's equipment and has put her physio back two weeks.
"We've repeatedly tried to contact you to arrange the delivery"
"What number are you calling?"
They recite my mobile phone number.
"I've had no missed calls or messages from you"
"Then your phone must be broken sir - we phoned you twice" [they are unable to say when]
While I'm on the call I receive two text messages from them confirming my new delivery slot.

This afternoon, after being on hold to an insurance company for 55 minutes who couldn't find my details.
"I've now located your policy, but I need to transfer you to another department"
"Can you please give me the policy number in case we get cut off?"
"There's no need for that, transferring you now...."
I got cut off.

Maybe I'm just turning into a cantankerous old man?

Better to know than not know, apparently plenty of treatments available. I don't think the private hospitals are any safer these days.
Ian, I reckon that it's much harder to catch something from your room mate if one is in a private room ...

Their basic infection control systems are all but nonexistent here.

Ian, I reckon that it's much harder to catch something from your room mate if one is in a private room ...

Their basic infection control systems are all but nonexistent here.
That's true, but just contact with a surface that was in turn in contact with an infected person may do it. Not sure if that includes dunny seats, but I don't see why it couldn't.

Better to know than not know, apparently plenty of treatments available. I don't think the private hospitals are any safer these days.
Interestingly, Ian, all private hospitals I've ever been in want to know if you have been in a public hospital in the last 6 months. Tells its own story, IMHO. Apparently, the phantom MRI is booked for 1100H today.

What a debacle all round!

A couple of photos of the filth around the skirtings of the quarantine room.

Not clean!

IMG_20240215_081231.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_20240215_081303.jpg
IMG_20240215_081303.jpg

A good clean with live steam, and repainting could help!

John, the floors look so-so..but thats where all the walking in from outside happens.
Apart from one spot, the walls look pretty good!

I can understand your unhappiness with having to be where you are but there is a good chance that you wouldn't be chatting to us if not for this place!!

So relax, maybe watch a bit of TV....are they streaming Days Of Our Lives ?...if so, could you check what happened to Jason after he discovered that Emily-Sue [his best friend's wife that he made pregnant] and would later join the Peace Corp and meet Jason's long lost father [who he always thought was his uncle] then disappeared together on a posting in Uganda, only to find that that was a ploy and in fact they were secretly ensconced in Wisconsin, actually living across the road from Jason's step-aunt!! ?
:dance4:

Those floors look pretty darn bad. I take my husband for chemo regularly at a large hospital and honestly you could eat off their floors.
It's an indication of how the place is run. To some it may seem petty, however, if you can't keep a quarantine area spotlessly clean, what hope is there for the rest of the organisation?

My daughter is paediatric ICU nurse and takes enormous pride in the standard of presentation of both her bed spaces and the patients within them.

Last edited:
Back