Fuji I have a question ...

Gary

All-Pro
Name
Gary Ayala
I just acquired a Fuji 35mm. When I tossed it on my X-Pro, the LCD stated that there was a firmware update for this lens. So I trot up to the Fujifilm site, download the appropriate update my computer won't open the application 'ImageBrowser.app' "because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

It seems I probably don't need this ImageBrowser.app ... or do I?

The lens also clicks when the camera is turned-on. WTF?

Gary

I'm not sure about the update, but it's normal to hear the clicking sound.
I think they call it lens chatter.
I saw a video on youtube that showed it with a Detroit street shooter.

The update is some file Fxxxxxxx.dat or something, not an .app file. Save that in sd card and follow the rest of the instructions.
When I download and in my Download Folder the file is named "FPUPDATE.DAT". When I attempt to open the file I get a message stating "You can’t open the application “ImageBrowser.app” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Gary

Gary,

Format an sd card with your camera, drag the dat file onto the card with your computer. Place the card back into your camera and turn it on while holding down the display button and follow the prompts. Fuji has instructions on their page with the full details I think.

Gary,

Format an sd card with your camera, drag the dat file onto the card with your computer. Place the card back into your camera and turn it on while holding down the display button and follow the prompts. Fuji has instructions on their page with the full details I think.

Did that, got a "Firmware not found." message on LCD. I've updated the 60mm lens and the camera before. I'm running 2.03 on the camera and 1.0 on the 35mm.

I using a Mac running OS X 10.8.2

G

Thank you Tdp, that worked (I followed your link). This lens firmware went from 1.0 to 2.02. For some, most probably stupid, reason, I kept circling back to camera upgrade and couldn't find the lens upgrade, ala XFUP0002.DAT.

Again, Thanks,
Gary

Actually something like that happened to me when I tried to upgrade camera and lens firmware. I have a Mac too.

So I downloaded one of the files then the other, then went to do the camera upgrade first. After the camera upgrade I reformatted the SD and copied the second file onto it to do the lens. It didn't work. I went back and forth a bit and it turns out (somehow) I downloaded the camera firmware twice. I would have SWORN I did not do that. So I deleted both files on my desktop, re-downloaded just the lens file and went at it again and it worked.

There may be some do-hickey, tom-foolery mumbo-jumbo (it is international overuse hyphens day, btw) going on with how the Mac handles .DAT files from the same source. That or you and I made the same mistake, which is highly unlikely because I only make mistakes on days that end in a Y.

Some of my days just start with a "why...."

Yes, International-Hyphen-Day is marked on my calendar. Big party to-night. I dunno if knowing you experienced a similar problem makes me feel better or worse ... is it a Fuji-problem, a Mac-problem or are we both equally inept ... but as you discovered the remedy for the problem, I guess 'equally' is not the proper adverb. So maybe a Gary-problem.

G

Back