I haven't a clue...

Lucille

Veteran
What do you cats mean when you say 'legacy' lenses?

and whats this moire thing?

I'm not with that....

all I know, is I frame a picture, adjust my settings till it looks ok on the lcd screen, press the shutter, and the magic happens.

but some of these terms i read, such as f-stop, I aint stopping nothing......

the Kitty is here.

Hi, if you want to find out about these photographic terms check this site

Photography Definitions: Glossary of Photographic Terms

As a start 'legacy' just means lenses from earlier cameras which require an adapter to work on newer cameras such as Nex and Micro 4/3

'Moire' is an appearance on the image of artefacts similar to moire silk.

When it comes down to it, if you set your camera to automatic you can often get good results without knowing what all these terms mean but with a little understanding you will be able to control the image to your own likings.

Good luck and post lots of images.

Welcome Kitty.

"Legacy" lenses are old lenses being used on modern camera bodies where there is no communication between the lens and the body. Also called manual lenses because there will no longer be any automatic functionality.

Here is a good description and example of moiré ....... What is Moiré?

and you needn't bother yourself with the technical stuff if you don't care for it. I've seen some of your shots over on the mu43 site. You have a fine eye which is eminently more important.

Hi, if you want to find out about these photographic terms check this site

Photography Definitions: Glossary of Photographic Terms

As a start 'legacy' just means lenses from earlier cameras which require an adapter to work on newer cameras such as Nex and Micro 4/3

'Moire' is an appearance on the image of artefacts similar to moire silk.

When it comes down to it, if you set your camera to automatic you can often get good results without knowing what all these terms mean but with a little understanding you will be able to control the image to your own likings.

Good luck and post lots of images.

I have several cameras, and rarely shoot in auto mode. I am a newbie trying to learn all the terms and stuff.

I know how to frame a picture (the way I want it atleast) and set iso, aperature, and shutter speed until the image looks ok thru my crappy e-pl1 lcd screen.
press the shutter button and the magic happens.

I shot this one in manual mode while driving my Camaro.... I like it, but don't know why.

lkv-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like it too! :)

[long technical story alert]
regarding the final question from your first post that hasn't been answered yet (f-stops): in photography, a stop is a doubling or halving of the amount of light that reaches the film/sensor. So one stop brighter is twice as bright and one stop slower is half as bright (and 2 stops is 2x2=4 times as bright/dark, 3 stops 2x2x2=8 times, etcetera).

the aperture (the "bottleneck" in the lens that determines how much light is allowed to reach the sensor for any given amount of time) is commonly measured as "focal length (for instance 50mm) divided by "f-number" = physical aperture diameter". So if the physical aperture diameter is 25mm, the notation is 50/2, or just f/2. Note that the larger the physical aperture and the more light is transmitted, the lower the f-number (for a given focal length).

One f-stop is an increase or decrease of the aperture to allow twice as much or twice as little light to reach the sensor. Because the light is going through a round shaped aperture, it's the surface of that circle that needs to double in order to double the amount of light. In order to double the aperture circle's surface, the diameter needs to be multiplied by the square root of 2, which is ~1,41, usually rounded off to 1.4. So if you want to increase the aperture to allow one extra stop of light (in other words, double the amount of light) you need to multiply the aperture (which was 25mm) by roughly 1,4, which gives ~35mm. If you again calculate the f-number again, it's 50/35= ~1.4 (like I said, the larger the aperture and the brighter the image, the lower the f-number).

If you make the same calculation over and over again to get the lens one f-stop "brighter (aka faster)" or "darker (aka slower)" with each step, you'll see that the f-numbers are (from low=bright to high=dark) 1; 1,4; 2; 2,8; 4; 5,6; 8; 11,2; 16; 22,4. Each stop darker / slower makes the f-number 1,4 times higher, and each time you go 2 stops darker (so 2x2=4 times as little light) the f-number is doubled.

Back