I just want to smash it

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
I can NOT for the life of me spread the little metal ring wide enough apart to slip it in to the eye hole on the camera.

These are the thickest, stiffest rings I have ever encountered. Is there some kind of tool I can buy to help in this process? I really don't want to smash my camera, but smashing the strap would not release sufficient anger.

Thanks in advance for your replies (helpful or witty)

1605042433532.png

I use a very small flat head screwdriver to split open rings. Then, leaving the screwdriver in place, I guide the open end of the ring to the eye hole on the camera and start the ring on it. Once the ring is started, I remove the screw driver. Then finish threading the ring into the eyehole. It helps if you have something to hold the camera in place to free up your hands.

I use a very small flat head screwdriver to split open rings. Then, leaving the screwdriver in place, I guide the open end of the ring to the eye hole on the camera and start the ring on it. Once the ring is started, I remove the screw driver. Then finish threading the ring into the eyehole. It helps if you have something to hold the camera in place to free up your hands.
I've tried this method....I need to find a screwdriver with a thinner head.

You can do the same thing with a small penknife blade if you're careful - there's a higher risk of injury to self, penknife and camera.

-R
I concur on the risk aspect ... while it's possible, I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used the screwdriver method. With varying success, but only slight injuries (it slipped once). I don't want to imagine the same thing happening with a penknife 😬

M.

I use a small “jewelers” screw driver. I find them very handy for Cameras and cheap reading glasses. You can find sets for little money. Of course, as indicated above, I also buy my own split rings to avoid the problem in the first place.

That is why God keeps making young people. She told me its to provide dumb muscle and fine motor skills for those of us She has blessed with more days than are good for mere mortals. I find they can also be a fun source of entertainment - like what I know I am for Her most days.

Hand it to a kid and tell them what to do. To them its a challenge, not a frustration. Fix a cup of tea and smile.

I use the Swiss army knife can opener (good wedge for getting in) or the flathead screwdriver for this.

Back