Fuji I know, yet another should I switch to Fuji thread.

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
But I'll try to be a bit specific.

I have a Panasonic GX1, LVF2, Olympus 14-42mm, Panasonic 14-140mm, and Panasonic 14mm. And this is about all I really need/want for this kit.

Why I'm thinking of switching, I don't like the way the body handles. The image quality is fine, but just that, fine. I had an E-PM1 but upgraded for better ISO and more manual control. But I'm just not happy with the GX1. I liked the feels of the images out of the E-PM1 better. So.....

Option one:
I have enough cash + sale of GX1 & LVF2 to fund the purchase of an E-P5 refurbished on the Olympus site (currently $512). Keeping everything else I have this would be the simple answer.

Option Two:
Sell everything and pick up the X-M1 kit + 50-230 currently on sale for $700 on B&H. And add 27mm f2.8 I might want to change the 16-50 / 50-230 combo for the faster 18-55 and the rumored soon to be release 18-135

I know almost lowest end body versus top of the line Olympus range finder style body. But I also know that while the Oly has tons of features it tons I will probably never use. Including on interest in video and my subject matter should not be a problem for the AF of the X-M1. Simple complete shooting controls and image quality are what I'm looking for. I use to have a Fuji S5 Pro and really loved the SOOC JPegs. I also like the support Fuji seems to be showing it's system with firmware updates.

Am I missing some major short coming of the Fuji? I think I have a firm handle on the spec differences. IBIS, 1/8000 max shutter, 1/320 flash sync, etc. But that's not to say there is something I've might have over looked.

Here is a quick gallery of they type of stuff I shoot with this setup:
M4-3

No VF on the XM1. You won't like that, IMO. I ended up getting an XE1 with marginally slower AF, but a built in VF.

Hi WT21, I have considered that. But I really haven't been happy with the LVF-2. For this type of shooting I really think the tilt screen will be more useful "FOR ME".

Comparing the X-M1 vs E-P5 I know the E-P5 has the optional and pricey LVF, but the biggest thing I think I would miss from the E-P5 would be IBIS. The 5 axis stabilization is one of the biggest factors I'm weighting since I'm sure the 27mm will spend the most time on the body. My current 14mm focuses very close and IBIS would be nice.

Back