Micro 4/3 I made a grip for the Olympus Pen-F

ibd

Regular
I am going to travel for four weeks in Asia soon, and I intend to bring the Pen-F as my main camera.
I find the ergonomics of the camera to be just so-so. The front is too flat and the knurled mode selector knob tends to dig into the skin.
Looking at the existing grips that can be purchased, made from aluminum or wood, I found none that I really liked. Most were too bulky or ugly for my taste.
I also didn't like the idea of putting Sugru on the beautiful camera.

So, I designed and 3D printed my own grip and cover for the knurled knob.
The grip is attached to the camera with double sided tape. I used a transparent thin film adhesive for best adhesion. Some earlier tests show that this is quite strong enough, but the grip can still be removed if necessary.
The knob cover is just attached by friction.

Iterations in the design and materials:
P2030801.JPG

The grip attached to the camera:
P2030804.JPG

Grip + knob cover:
P2030812.JPG

Some more shots:
P2030810.JPG P2030811.JPG P2030805.JPG

You can download the CAD files as well as ready-to-print files here if you want to print your own or have it printed by a service:

That grip might have made me keep mine! I too wasn't fond of the handling!
Prices have shot up so much now..that I wouldn't buy another...even though it still looks a beautiful camera.

Another use case for CAD modelling and 3D printing: Restoring the focus ring on an old lens, where the old rubber is dissolving nastily and has become sticky.
The lens in question is the Four Thirds 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens by Olympus.

This is how the lens has reached me: The focus rubber ring has deteriorated and has become sticky and brittle.
photo_2024-03-16_16-47-15.jpg
photo_2024-03-16_16-47-10.jpg

I scraped off the dough-like rubber and cleaned up everything with IPA, keeping some bits of the ring for modeling reference for later.
photo_2024-03-16_16-47-19.jpg
photo_2024-03-16_16-47-23.jpg

After modelling, 3D printing, and testing a few iterations, I'm very happy with how the result turned out. This is using the same durable TPU material as the grip above.
photo_2024-03-16_16-47-26.jpg

photo_2024-03-16_16-47-29.jpg

The model files are accessible at the following link if you want to modify them for your own lens (or happen to have the same one with this issue)!

Last edited:
I'd like to get this printed by a company, but I have a few questions. What material(s) should I choose and how can I get both the black and silver/grey parts?

I'd like to get this printed by a company, but I have a few questions. What material(s) should I choose and how can I get both the black and silver/grey parts?
I would ask them what materials and colors they offer, then choose what you think looks best.

I printed my grip with a matte "silver" PLA, and a matte black TPU on top.
The way the two-color print worked is by adding a filament change in the slicer at 4.5mm layer height. If you tell this to someone who knows 3D printers, they'll know what to do -- this feature is commonly available in different slicers.

I have contacted several companies in the Netherlands and sadly none of them can print it with two colors... I'll try to find an individual with a suitable 3D printer, because the two colors is needed for it to look good in my opinion.

I'm surprised by that! Did they give a reason? Almost any 3D printer should support a filament swap in the middle of the print.
If you really can't find someone, maybe I can help you out. I'm in Europe, too.

I'm surprised by that! Did they give a reason? Almost any 3D printer should support a filament swap in the middle of the print.
If you really can't find someone, maybe I can help you out. I'm in Europe, too.
No reasons given other then telling me they won't or can't do it. I haven't been able to find anyone yet, so if you still want to help me out, please send me a private message. Thanks!

Back