Film I need a film camera! TLR style... any gurus here?? :D

If you want a sharp, easy to use, fast shooting MF camera look for Mamiya 6 or 7, a Fuji 670, they are rangefinder style cameras, the Mamiya's have interchangeable lenses

Bob, I think you are projecting your own wish list onto the OPs search. He is looking for a camera to use with a waist-level finder. His search started with TLRs because he is familiar with those. I think (and Gubrz can correct me if I am wrong) that "the LOOK" is just as important as the mode of framing. Using one certainly makes the photographer seem less intimidating to the subject (think eccentric instead of stalker). Speed of shooting and the ability to use different lenses are not parameters he is using.

Yes the backwards upsidedown turn your world around thing is something to get used to but you do within a few hours if you don't think hard on it. It's like eye processing, pre-brain descrambling.

1. by "all the parts" do you mean viewfinder, body, film back, lens... is there a part im missing?

2. i have always enjoyed the company of those older than myself. i think i spent half my childhood talking to friends parents while my friends played in their rooms. lol
so striking up chat would be a plus, also older people tend to not be annoying like people my age or younger. lol!

3. i need to just paypal someone $50, give them a list of requirements, and have them find me a setup to buy! lol
this frustrated laziness wont do me well in my MF slow n steady photography, lol! so many options!!!! lol

4. 35mm film takes the fun out of a huge-o camera! otherwise id have gotten one of those blackbird toy tlr's! hehehehe

"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world....”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

1. The "all the parts" reference, the 35mm adapter for the Yashica 635, which you have already said you do not have use for, is often sold on ebay missing a parts here and there, not even sure if the sellers realize half the time. There's a few parts you swap out or add to in order to make the images fit 35mm, one of them being a mask. So I was just warning you to make sure you know your part count IF you should buy one of these, or a Rolleikin, so that you don't waste your money on an incomplete conversion kit. This is the critter I speak of http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yashica-635...05&prg=10163&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=301195563739&rt=nc And this is the Rollei version http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolleikin-3...563?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item41826a6353

2. The conversations are maybe the best part of shooting with a TLR, at least in this time period. MF is great, lugging a brick around your neck a bit.. cumbersome at times, but fun. The Lubitel is plastic? These are a lot heavier, just saying, wide comfy neck strap required :D

3. You kinda need to decide what you want before you employ anyone to do the dirty work hehe

4. The Ihagee Exacta is small slr sized but with the waist finder you enjoy. If you want MF though you don't want the Ihagee. They look like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXAKTA-VX-I...916?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item566715f204 OR http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Ihagee...ography_VintageCameras_SM&hash=item4cff754e42

Maybe since you don't know what you want, start inexpensively. If you like the TLR deal you can always upgrade as you go along. If you decide it's MF you like and not the method, Bob made some good suggestions for MF cameras.

And I love The Little Prince

Bob, I think you are projecting your own wish list onto the OPs search. He is looking for a camera to use with a waist-level finder. His search started with TLRs because he is familiar with those. I think (and Gubrz can correct me if I am wrong) that "the LOOK" is just as important as the mode of framing. Using one certainly makes the photographer seem less intimidating to the subject (think eccentric instead of stalker). Speed of shooting and the ability to use different lenses are not parameters he is using.

it some ways maybe yes, but he never stated that he wanted a waist level viewfinder just that he wanted a TLR. Also it is not really my wish list, it was my been there done that list, there is no more awkward camera to use, especially in street shooting than a TLR, even though the waist level SLR is backwards too the format just lines up quicker. The nothing about a larger rangefinder that makes it more stalker like than any other camera, it just does the stated goal more quickly and easily. But as I have said some many times to each his own,

I wouldnt buy a now overpriced Rollei as they have the Vivian Maier background now within streetphotographers. I would suggest the Yashicamat 124G and call it a day. I personally owned the Lomo Seagull and a Mamiya 645 with the electronic metering viewfinder, and that camera had an impressive IQ. I sold it when I came to NZ as the prices for film and developing here are made for you to move over to digital or die starving on the streets.

Vivian took some great photos which I think was more the product of her time period (nostalgic for us now) and her quiet nature-- than any genius. Her best are in the galleries, her others look mediocre just like anyone's.

The cameras were expensive before her introduction, I know because that was when I was shopping and decided on the Yashica's. New Yashica or junk Rollei, hundred/s or thousand/s, hm... I think I'll just see if I really like this-- first. Yashica has not let me down. Have a full 35 GSN kit too which I love. My last Yashica, the 635, was bought post Maier-- it's price wasn't affected either. I could have bought cheaper in fact but I like pretty things, so don't buy beaters.

Rollei prices have nothing to do with Vivian Maier though may influence someone that idolizes her work and wants to imitate her by encouraging them to dump a lot of money on a camera so they can have instant talent-- and that perception can be associated with any camera that an admired talent uses. And I am not at all saying anything bad about the Rollei's quality, it was a fine instrument for its time (and maybe all time since they don't make TLR's anymore)

However.. It's not the camera even if a good tool is essential to the craft. If it was, we could all buy what the pros/artists have and put them out of business.

There are other TLR's besides Yashica (Mamiya-with interchangeable lenses, Minolta, Zeiss, Ansco, Tower, Lubitel, Ricoh, Voightlander-they are smaller, etc.....), Eliot--so I'm not going to push the brand I have, but I will say start with something that suits your needs and if you really love shooting at waist level, can master a caterwonky view screen and enjoy carrying a brick around your neck, upgrade to the model you fancy. The metal ones are really a lot heavier and tend to clunk against your chest when you walk. :D

$500 or less would be ideal........ ohlala! i need that orangey brown one.. then i could stick a white longhorn sticker on it, and all the downtown austin people will LOVE it! *steeples and smiles a manipulative smile*
"come into my frame," said the photographer to the UT fan...
lol

It's time to start your project of shooting 100 Texas Longhorns fans....... Yashica A Medium Format TLR Film Camera Body Only for sale online | eBay

the nice thing about buying one that someone has skinned is that you know it works.....or at least one would hope that someone was shooting it for awhile and knew it worked before they dumped the moolah on the faux orange leather.

For a less molested one a little closer to home, this one claims it has been tested.....even the self-timer works so you can do some MF selfies ;) Yashica MAT 124 G Medium Format TLR Film Camera with 80mm lens kit for sale online | eBay

Here's one right in San Antonio for only $200 shipped.....looks clean and again claims to have been tested.... Yashica 635 35mm TLR Film Camera Body Only for sale online | eBay

Now go buy one.

You can always do this too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yashica-TLR...30074721?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3f38742261 I think I actually have a spare (either wide or telephoto, can't remember) laying around that I could part with. I ended up with two of one and one of the other.

Or like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiyaflex-...066?pt=US_Vintage_Cameras&hash=item19eeb8e8f2 Though I would ask him to see photos of the camera body out of the case, and the other lens faces. I hate when they show stuff covered, like why???

And now I am going to go out and take a break and hopefully find something worthy of photographing. Then.. more homework!

the more I think about it, I'd skip over eBay and deal with professionals. https://www.keh.com/341884/medium-format-misc-yashica-mat-124g You can get a nice beater (actually they tend to grade conservatively......this will probably nicer looking than your ipad) for $199 or a shiny one for $265. They have a load of Rollei TLRs, too. But I don't know the differences between all the various models.

hmmm
$265 isnt bad!
really, the bargain with inop light meter would be fine as well. and thats only $144! and if i LOVE mf film, then mebbe i can buy a EX-ish level of a rolleiflex later on and worry about prettiness at that pt in time! :D

i like the light meter apps previous mentioned
theres a free one that gives you a readin, lets you save the settings attached to a photo in yer phone, and you can make notes for email addresses or what not to send to the people
kinda handy
so id PROLLY end up using it ANYWAYS to keep track of people, settings, and emails... so i might as well take the half second to glance at the light meter readings... shrug!

plus $265-144 = SAVINGS! SAVINGS!SAVINGS!

fuji/sony/oly need to hurry up and make an amazing mirrorless mf fixed lens camera! :D

@f3.5, i wont be doing any low light stuff SLASH ill blast them in the face with my ringlight,... ill havta take some readings using that app and see what speed film ill need... sound good??

@f3.5, i wont be doing any low light stuff SLASH ill blast them in the face with my ringlight,... ill havta take some readings using that app and see what speed film ill need... sound good??

photography is about gathering light. We're spoiled with ISO 6400 and f1.8 lenses. Most of the time I'm shooting, I'm gathering darkness.....not light. :D

Good luck in your new adventure.

Back