I need talking down.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
My name is Bill and I'm a camera buying tragic. Down to just two, The Sony RX10 III and a Ricoh GR having sold a TZ70 and a GRD III.
Getting the itch again having just two but determined to stick to that so would have to sell the GR.
I was an early Fuji adopter starting with the original X100 and in succession the X-E1 and X-E2 but with my Parkinsons I am only open to fixed lenses these days and my Sony and Ricoh cover all the bases for my needs.
BUT I've spotted a nice clean X100S on ebay around $550 AUD and am sorely tempted. I could do the changeover for about $150 and I'd have that nice hybrid OVF/EVF again.

What would you do?

Write a list. How will this purchase impact your photography or your life. If not much, take a deep breath and tell yourself no. Thats how I have been controlling myself, and I havent bought a new camera for nearly 2 years. Last lens was a year ago.

Do you need it?

Between the X100s and the GR I don't see a big different in image quality, differences sure, but they're both around the same level.
So what I would do is compare the other features of the two and decide which you would enjoy most.

The GR is tiny, has a 28mm lens and has brilliant controls. The X100s is larger, but perhaps also nicer to hold, has the OVF/EVF combo, the "retro style" controls and the 35mm lens.

Based on how you like to shoot it should be possible to make a decision :)

I'm horrible at it myself, I had almost cut my collection down to my DP2M and my Ricoh GR and decided to sell my DP2Q. Then I spotted a DP3M on Ebay and ended up buying that, and my wife wanted some 4K video so that led to a Sony A6300, and of course that led to lenses.. :doh:
Meanwhile the DP2Q is still sitting in a drawer waiting for me to decide to sell it.
Eventually I'll try to cut down again, but it probably won't last.

For me, the difference between 28mm and 35mm is a giant gulf. I am more successful making images using a 35mm which is why I am an X100 guy. I've tried the GR twice, and while I like the camera controls and feel (despite it lacking a viewfinder), I could never seem to get a good photo.....everything always seemed too far away with too much foreground. I love others' shots with a slightly wide-angle view....I'm just not successful at it.

But that's me. How do YOU view the focal lengths. The RX10 is a great jack of all trades and I would keep that one for sure. If you're going to be strong and stick with two....for me it would come down to which of the Fuji or Ricoh you think you'll enjoy using more. Maybe look back through your photos and see if you prefer the ones you took with the X100 or if you prefer the ones we took with the GR.

Good luck, Bill.

I am also afflicted with the disease. I fought off buying a new (or used) camera for almost a year.....I'm not even really making photographs anymore. But a used Sony a7ii just showed up yesterday, and now I need to sell off some m43 gear. I don't need multiple cameras sitting around not being used.

Last edited:
You only live once... As Luke says there is a big practical difference between 28mm and 35mm. Perhaps more important is that the user experience is very different. All the time I have had a GR I have also had a Fuji X100, currently the F.

Regret only what you did not do...

thinking through your situation again from your perspective rather than my own.

I'm not sure how much your Parkinson's is affecting your ability to be stable, but bracing a camera against your eye (which isn't really an option...unless you are using one of those aftermarket hood/loupe things) would definitely factor into my decision.

I'm not sure how much your Parkinson's is affecting your ability to be stable, but bracing a camera against your eye (which isn't really an option...unless you are using one of those aftermarket hood/loupe things) would definitely factor into my decision.

I'm thinking the same thing, Bill. Will the X100S make things better for you in terms of stability because you can brace the camera against your face? If so, then you have your answer. If not, then base your answer on what makes you happy. We only go around once.

First the good news - my lovely wife agreed I could buy the Fuji X100S. :2thumbs:

But the bad news is it has already sold on ebay. :doh:

But there's even better news - I bought an X100T for an extra $300 and it is in vgc and includes a leather case, shutter count in low 100s and original box and accessories. :cloud-9-039: :dance2:

So... you didn't *really* want to be talked down, didya!

:rofl: :daz:

I'm glad you went for the T. The X100 series is old enough that the older models have started to feel pretty sluggish. The T is same vintage as the X70 which I've shot with a little bit and it felt pretty fast.

Back