Fuji I need your advice.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I'm seeking advice on how to proceed so that I can again enjoy taking photos. I hope you will indulge me a little but be warned there is soul-searching from me to follow - if you prefer click on a new thread now but I trust some will read on.

Except for Christmas day I have not picked up a camera since late August 2013. It is no coincidence that in August I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I had a new Fuji X-E1 bought in July with four lenses (plus a Samyang fish eye) and I took some 900 images in July/August and then virtually overnight I just stopped dead in my tracks. Even worse I upgraded to an X-E2 in December last in the vain hope that it would get me started again. I have taken ONE test photo with that camera. At Christmas I used my little Sony RX100 as I couldn't bring myself to use my new gear.

A little background may be pertinent. I resigned my job 13 years ago at age 54 and went on a disabilty pension due to depression leading to a major mental breakdown. My psychiatrist labels me as having 'treatment resistant major depression' and I've tried every drug on the market and had two courses of treatment (20 sessions altogether) with electro-convulsive therapy and a month long course of magnetic brain stimulation. I also have mild to moderate OCD which served me well as an education administrator but is not much good in retirement. OCD = GAS. :mad:

I realise that I am a 'gear head' and religiously follow a number of forums and about 10 photography RSS feeds. I read or view most camera or gear reviews/videos. I really enjoy post processing and have tested and often bought many, many pieces of software. I suppose I'm more into the technical than the artistic side of photography. I also have a fair dose of buyer remorse at the moment for investing so heavily into Fuji gear, the IQ of which far exceeds my own skill level and the expense was not welcomed by my lovely wife.

If you're still reading thanks for indulging me but I still need advice on the next step(s).

1. My 'gut reaction' is to sell all my Fuji gear and fall back on the little pocket rocket (Sony RX100).

2. I'm toying with the idea of adding a quality bridge camera in place of the Fuji gear. Possibly a Sony RX10, a Fuji X-S1 or an Olympus Stylus 1. It may be wiser to delay this decision until I'm shooting somewhat regularly with the RX100 though.

3. I guess I've let the PD 'beat me' so far. I do not (yet) have a serious hand tremor but have hand weakness and clumsiness with some moderate balance problems. I am aware that PD sufferers adapt (with tripods for example) like Peter Tacheur who does amazing work.

Enough from me - do you have any advice.

Bill, let me say that you're a very forthright person and extremely generous with what you're sharing here. I have always admired your ability to recognize your personal challenges so well because I think many of us are not always so good about this in our live's realms - including the almost ubiquitous G.A.S. that a huge number of us folks suffer from.

My bet is that Pete will probably have some very helpful feedback for you in regard to your recent diagnosis of Parkinson's and how that in itself, regardless of your other challenges, may be coming into play in a big way.

My initial reaction having known you for so long and having just read this is that if the expenses on the Fujis are a burden to you - either financially or psychically - then why not sell them and relieve yourself of that weight? If down the line you decide you want a system type of camera like the Fuji you'll be able to get one again when you feel like the timing is right.

I can't speak to the "bridge cameras" because I don't have experience in that realm, though it might be a great tool for me, as well.

(Since my own family went through multiple changes and challenges since our move, etc., I have predominately used my iPhone for my photography and my X100 has been languishing along with my X10 and, um, my XF1. I believe I have used them but haven't downloaded into LR etc., again for a variety of reasons.)

There is nothing wrong or right with using any means one chooses and feels good about in order to achieve the end result - the photograph. Each of us has our own aesthetics when it comes to the art of photography and the old sayings along the lines of "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" ring just as true today as they did back in ye old early film days.

My best advice is to go with what you feel comfortable with and enjoy using. Perhaps if the G.A.S. is uncontrollable perhaps set yourself a time limit when it comes to buying anything else? Not sure how OCD works when it comes to trying to control one's self, Bill. However, I believe in simplifying one's life as much as possible when one is feeling overwhelmed. I hope this is of some help.

what type of photography do you like? what are your limitations for doing that particular photography? is there difficulty in handling your fuji system? the rx10 seems to be larger, and weight over time can make a difference in handling.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

Thanks for sharing your story - I imagine that it wasn't easy to put all that out there.

With regard to your photography, I would do what you feel necessary to get comfortable or excited about shooting again. From your post I would gather, however, that new gear wouldn't be the answer. If you are considering selling your Fuji gear, maybe start out by revisting the RX100 that you have first and determine whether or not you feel you can enjoy shooting with that camera and processing the images. If so, then maybe divesting of the Fuji gear you haven't used makes sense.

As far as the various photography forums go, its very easy for all of us to get caught up in the latest gear, but honestly I've never seen anyone for whom the acquisition of a new lens or camera has dramatically changed the types of images they create. Those improvements and the joy and satisfaction that comes from making them is usually the result of either shooting a new and interesting subject, learning a new technique for shooting or perhaps post processing, or some other type of learning. Forums can be great for discussions and examples of those types of things as well. Perhaps you can still enjoy the forums you belong to and your photography if you focus more on sharing images and viewing the images of others than the tech review and discussion aspects of those forums. That is something I'm looking to challenge myself to do going forward.

Anyway, those are just my two cents.

Bill, let me say that I can relate first-hand to issues with depression. I have often found it almost impossible to get started with anything - even activities that I have traditionally loved the most - when under the influence of depression.

Perhaps you should tell a close friend or relative to "force" you to go out with them on a photographic outing. Make it a location or subject that has always been particularly attractive or interesting to you. It could be a half day if that's all you can manage. But a full day or weekend outside of the home would be better. Outdoors may be best. Determine, once you're forced to get started, if the act of photographing has a positive impact on you. It may take longer than just a few hours. If the answer is no, then put the gear away for six months, stop thinking about it and then decide after that period if you still want to sell it all.

I have usually found that, once I get started, much of my depression and/or anxiety subsides. But I may not have ever experienced what you are going through now. All you can do is keep trying and follow whatever path works for you. Everyone is a bit different. And as far as PD and photography is concerned, there are plenty of ways to adapt in terms of equipment as time goes on. Let's focus on your interest in photography first. Good luck and know that we're pulling for you.

Thanks BB, Romi, Eric and Steve for your thoughtful replies. I think just 'putting my thoughts on paper' was a valuable first step for me. I'll put your advice to good use. Maybe a more considered approach to picture taking including using my tripod will bear fruit.

"One step at a time" comes into play in so much of life. Perhaps we can make it "one picture at a time", as well? I look forward to whatever you choose to share here and over on SC, Bill. Putting it all down on this virtual paper was a big achievement.

Bill, hi....just a quick word of advice before I formulate something lengthier when I gets home. Don't go small. If you have hand tremor.......dealing with smaller and lighter objects requires more complex motor function and is more difficult to control. I cannot even handle a sheet of paper. However, I can handle my 6d with tank like 70/300L with far less tremor. The x100s is becoming a problem due to lightness and my increasing pd tremor. It may have to go, or I just use it with tripod. The 6d and big lens is the way to go for me.

That's the quick advice for now.

Best regards

Pete

Maybe a monopod could save you some trouble. Sometimes when I travel I buy one at target for 15 bucks and leave it in my hotel room when my shoot is over. I write it off as rental and travel light.

Thanks Mitchell and Bill - I will try the monopod (I own one) and also my tripod to see if they improve sharpness. I've been relying on OIS until now so will switch it off when using a tri/monopod.

I've never used a monopod (only a tripod), but I was considering picking one up and from what I've been reading, recommendations have been to leave OIS on when using a monopod and off when using a tripod.

Sorry to hear of your situation Bill. Maybe the best advice I could give is to insure your gear. That way you will have peace of mind should you drop it-- and not worry so much about picking your cameras up. Then you can relax. After that, Maybe toy with what you have and since you are so gear oriented, you should be better able to gauge what might work for you once you get a feel for your hands.

Thanks Eric and Isoterica. Saw my Neurologist on Friday and he still thinks side-effects of my medication is the cause rather than primary PD. The bad news is the symptoms are there still but the good news is they should not progress and may even get better. We''ll see in 6 months.

PS the suspect medication is Zyprexa.

Also took a few photos while babysitting last week - happy with this one.

13659068055_8e9369d49d_c.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• 13659068055_8e9369d49d_c.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 13659068055_8e9369d49d_c.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46
Bill, thanks so much for your update - and the good news about it being due to that Rx. That's very hopeful. And, I just love this portrait of your grandson! Not only is he a beautiful young boy, the blue of his shirt, and (his mother's) aquamarine dress in the background play off so well against his incredible blue eyes! What a darling little guy he is and this is a portrait to hang on to and print - that's for sure!

Deacon is adorable and what a wonderful name!

Doctor thinking Tardive Dyskinesia then? My mother had it after being on a med for too long. Is he going to change your meds? That should help if he does, just need to transition carefully.

-Kristen

I'm glad they could switch your meds over. When they switched my mother, she backslid and ended up in the hospital. Scary time. They had to put her on the old meds she got the TD with because they at least worked. She also had other medical problems at the time that interfered with proper absorption so that exascerbated it. The TD didn't actually come back though.. it was like she just needed a break or something. Hopefully yours will pass, at least mostly. It can take a long while with those drugs.

Hi Bill, sorry about your troubles. Instead of advice on gear, I"ll restrict it to health matters. I'm not a fan of western medicine who specialize in disease (rather than health) and controlled by big pharma. My wife practices Health Kinesiology, an offshoot of Dr. Goodheart's Applied Kinesiology, both based on ancient Chinese Medicine. These systems focus on obtaining optimum health rather than managing your disease with poisonous drugs. I am very confident that your condition can be helped. Bill, you can contact them at this address: HK.office@HK-training.org
Better Health to You!

Tom

Back