I read you coudln't shoot a wedding with a 35mm focal length..

Lucille

Veteran
Read that in many places, but since I don't know any better, I shot a wedding for a friend, over 500 images, all 35mm focal length..

I used my Sony Rx1 and my Sony Nex 3n with the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 prime (35mm equiv)

never used flash.......

Here are just a few images... Though I am not very good, it didn't cost my friend a dime, they were happy......

w-49.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

w-97.jpg

w-111.jpg

w-152.jpg

w-205.jpg

w-208.jpg

w-318.jpg

w-339.jpg

w-404.jpg

w-407.jpg

w-433.jpg

a wedding photog I am not, in fact I don't even see myself as a photographer period, just a person with some cameras, and I know a experienced pro would have done much better, but I had fun, and captured many memories for them...everytime I get behind the lens, I want to have fun...if it ever stops being fun, I'll put the cameras down for good.

Nice shots and nice cars, I guess that is what you were busy with:) 2 35mm are interesting combo, I guess nex is faster then the RX1.

Nice shots and nice cars, I guess that is what you were busy with:) 2 35mm are interesting combo, I guess nex is faster then the RX1.

I do not think the nex is faster then the Rx1 and disagree with everybody on the planet that thinks a Rx1 is slow, and mind you I do have a Omd Em5.

However, when it comes to cameras I am very easy to please, as I love my lowly epl1's......

thanks for the compliment honey...

Really nicely caught moments Lucille, no wonder your friend is pleased. I tend to favour the less formal photos for weddings myself :)

Thank you honey.... I wouldn't know formal from informal.....I just did what I knew to do, have fun and take pictures, it was a learning experience, and I have much respect for
anybody that shoots weddings........

35mm is a great length for anything happening 5-25 feet away, I would say, and MOST of the wedding seems to fit that bill. It isn't ideal during the ceremony because you don't want to be standing 10 feet away to get a great shot... you'd be in the derned way, and a fast tele is the right tool for that job for a good reason. But the pre-workup stuff, the casuals, portraits (if perhaps a little untraditional looking, being so wide), and for sure the after party can all be had pretty handily with a 35mm lens. To get the most out of it, you need to get up and get in there where stuff is happening. When people are dancing you have to go dance next to them, get into where things are happening and you can see their faces. Long lenses let people "cheat" and just crank out shots from a distance, but the shorter lenses mean if you want the goods, you gotta get up closer. Having small, quiet cameras and no flash means people at a wedding (especially at the reception, where booze is flowing) don't mind you shooting them. Hell, they may not even notice, which is ideal.

To wit, from a wedding 2 weeks ago, with the X100 (35mm equiv as well):

wuj1.jpg

zy8v.jpg

jwbp.jpg

j551.jpg

Another thing you can do well with a shorter lens (in my mind) at an event like a wedding is find people who are doing awesome things and follow them around. The guy singing along, dancing well, the family or friends who are cracking up and having a good time, you go hang out near them. Too often I find myself looking at the camera and thinking "ok I have this and it's all set now I need to find a thing to point it at." What SHOULD be happening is that something interesting or compelling is going on, something other people would want to see, and I THEN think of the camera.

Thank you honey.... I wouldn't know formal from informal.....I just did what I knew to do, have fun and take pictures, it was a learning experience, and I have much respect for
anybody that shoots weddings

Yup, because once you've tried carrying around a couple of camera bodies, lenses, and flashes, hovered around during the ceremony trying not to get in the way, and then herded every permutation of his family and her family after the ceremony, you soon realise that the process of shooting weddings the traditional way...sucks.

Read that in many places, but since I don't know any better, I shot a wedding for a friend, over 500 images, all 35mm focal length..

Don't know where you read that, but maybe you should hang out in places where people know what they are talking about... :tongue: 35mm is the focal length for weddings, and has been for many decades. ;)

Pic #4 is a real winner, IMO it captures the spirit of a wedding so perfectly, and I've seen enough (although not too many) wedding albums where there is no summarizing pic that good. (y)

Don't know where you read that, but maybe you should hang out in places where people know what they are talking about... :tongue: 35mm is the focal length for weddings, and has been for many decades. ;)

Pic #4 is a real winner, IMO it captures the spirit of a wedding so perfectly, and I've seen enough (although not too many) wedding albums where there is no summarizing pic that good. (y)

I can't remember either, as the wedding was approaching I was reading/searching for info on shooting it, and came across this more then once, as you can see, I paid it no regard... I used my Nex 3n because of my new Zeiss Lens, I used the Rx1 because it has the best IQ of anything I have ever used, my Sony A65 with zooms stayed at home....

I used my Sony Rx1 and my Sony Nex 3n with the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 prime (35mm equiv)

never used flash.......

Here are just a few images... Though I am not very good, it didn't cost my friend a dime, they were happy......

a wedding photog I am not, in fact I don't even see myself as a photographer period, just a person with some cameras, and I know a experienced pro would have done much better, but I had fun, and captured many memories for them...everytime I get behind the lens, I want to have fun...if it ever stops being fun, I'll put the cameras down for good.
I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself. While it's not true that you can't use a 35mm to shoot a wedding, it would serve you best if you avoided some of the common pitfalls of using that focal length. One of those is that the wide field of view and deep depth of field means that it's easy for background elements to distract from your subject. Case in point: the sunglasses-wearing dude in the pickup truck.

Lucille, excellent photographs - lovely feel to them. Lot's of reaction, joy and happiness recorded.

I recently used my RX1 at my nephew's wedding with similar results. Main benefit of the camera is that you can get close to the action without threatening the subjects. Great for a more photojournalistic style - which can often have much more impact than formal set shots.

I also like that you can crop the 24mpx files aggressively and still end up with 9x6 or 12x8 album shots.

On top of that the RAW files are a joy to process in LR and the Nik suite of apps.

LouisB

Realy nice images. #4 is my favorite. Have you thought about cropping some of them? It would focus the viewer a litle mroe tighly on the subject in a couple of the photos.

I'm not a pro, but I have shot three weddings for friends and family now and they are amongst my proudest photographic acheivements. It's a big job, but rewarding.

Back