Film I recently bought a Sony a7R ll Mirrorless Camera?

And a supposedly well respected guy has written a guide book to this camera? Just check out the price? it's crazy. I do sometimes wonder about my wisdom to go over to the darkside? You know where you are with film cameras. Ana at £3,000.00 for a body, when the battery runs out, it's a very expensive paper weight. It is an amasing camera but, really, the things it will do, I am not sure it is that necessary? I would be interested in others comments on this sort of technology? I am not sure I have the brain capacity, or desire to absorb this amount of tech?

The Complete Guide to Sony's Alpha 7r II (Color Edition) by Gary L. Friedman (Paperback) - Lulu

@kennethcooke

I have the same camera. I love it. I am not concerned about battery life - I simply made the choice to purchase a bunch of extras (4) - Watson aftermarket batteries from B&H in New York, and a dual charger. I can now charge two at a time and always have a spare with me. Problem solved.

I love it for its ability to take any lens with the right adapter. Suddenly that opened a Pandora's box (for my wallet) of all kinds of legacy and manual lenses, and I love looking for and finding new stuff I can use on my Sony A7R II. I also have the Metabones IV and the Sony LA-EA4 adapters, which open up the entire Canon and Sony A-mount lens line-up for me to use. What's there not to love? (Rhetorical question, btw :))

I also love the focus peaking function - that makes focusing a breeze even in the dark with the manual lenses. Especially for portraits - just wait for the red color to appear in the subject's pupils, and bingo! You've got focus!

I wouldn't worry about the massive amount of tech in the camera if I were you. I am using what, perhaps 20% of its functionality, and am not concerned about the rest. I use what I need for my purposes; just because other functions are available does not mean I need to wrack my brain figuring them out. However, it is nice knowing the camera is capable of more and if I feel so inclined, I can probe more.

The massive resolution is a blessing. I can crop away maybe 60-70% of the file and still end up with a high enough resolution leftover file I can license to Getty Images. So, slowly, but surely, the camera is paying for itself.

@kennethcooke

I have the same camera. I love it. I am not concerned about battery life - I simply made the choice to purchase a bunch of extras (4) - Watson aftermarket batteries from B&H in New York, and a dual charger. I can now charge two at a time and always have a spare with me. Problem solved.

I love it for its ability to take any lens with the right adapter. Suddenly that opened a Pandora's box (for my wallet) of all kinds of legacy and manual lenses, and I love looking for and finding new stuff I can use on my Sony A7R II. I also have the Metabones IV and the Sony LA-EA4 adapters, which open up the entire Canon and Sony A-mount lens line-up for me to use. What's there not to love? (Rhetorical question, btw :))

I also love the focus peaking function - that makes focusing a breeze even in the dark with the manual lenses. Especially for portraits - just wait for the red color to appear in the subject's pupils, and bingo! You've got focus!

I wouldn't worry about the massive amount of tech in the camera if I were you. I am using what, perhaps 20% of its functionality, and am not concerned about the rest. I use what I need for my purposes; just because other functions are available does not mean I need to wrack my brain figuring them out. However, it is nice knowing the camera is capable of more and if I feel so inclined, I can probe more.

The massive resolution is a blessing. I can crop away maybe 60-70% of the file and still end up with a high enough resolution leftover file I can license to Getty Images. So, slowly, but surely, the camera is paying for itself.

I agree with your comments, and yes, like you, the ability to use an enormous range of other lenses is a plus, in fact, it was the ability to use my Leica M glass on it that swung it for me really. I did order the a7Mk 2 but the a7R ll came by mistake, we discussed restitution and came to a deal the stockist and I was happy with, so I saved about £750.00 on the body so I decided to keep it. The Zeiss 35mm Sonnar lens which I bought at the same time is an absolute gem and virtually lives on the body which simplifies matters. By and large modern cameras are a lot cleverer than we are, I guess it will take me a while to put my trust in it, in fact, apart from a Nikon F801 which I had years ago, this is my first venture with AF, and coming from a rangefinder system it will take a while to get used to not being able to see beyond the field of view. Anyway, mustn't hog the thread as it is technically off topic and has nothing to do with film- Thank you

Back