Nikon I seem to have lost the focus on my Nikon 1?

Wetstuff

Rookie
The title pretty much covers it... For some unknown reason, it's like I am shooting thru frosted glass. I love the camera because it's quick and easier than my big Canon. I have fiddled with settings and cannot come up with a camera fix ..and photoshop is not much help. Is there a very simple setting I can re-start from?

RainCapBlur.jpg

I make protective covers for things and simply need crips photos—I had them before. Thanks.

Jim

Ya, ya... Troy. I understand. Guys, 'nother stoopid question; "Where's the manual focus?" My little 18.5 lens has a knurled ring around the front, but will not turn. This is a V1, maybe the later versions had manual focus? It's a wonderful little camera but I've rarely stepped out of the 'automatic' box.

Jim

This is a setting in the menu area.....I also think that the V1 (by default) assigns one of the direction pads on the rear of the camera to be a focus mode selector. Likely if you press one of the direction pads, a focus mode choice will come up on your rear screen with options like AF-A, AF-S, AF-C and MF or manual focus.

My guess is that you accidentally set it to MF at some point.

You may need to investigate your manual (if the V1 comes with one...I know these physical manuals are an endangered species).

But if a half-press of the shutter (or a full press) does not cause a focus confirmation beep or cause the lens to even attempt to focus, then you MUST in Manual Focus mode.

Ya, ya... Troy. I understand. Guys, 'nother stoopid question; "Where's the manual focus?" My little 18.5 lens has a knurled ring around the front, but will not turn. This is a V1, maybe the later versions had manual focus? It's a wonderful little camera but I've rarely stepped out of the 'automatic' box.

Jim

The ring isnt meant to turn, I also found that to be a royal PITA. Eventually I discovered that to focus manually, you need to use circular ring round the 4way selection thingy (geez my photographic terminology is getting worse.. I'll claim incipient dementia!) after you have chosen MF via the method that John shows.

My own V1 has begun to randomly shut off the rear screen and activate the viewfinder. I like using the VF but when I want the screen, I want it, and its just being disobedient. I have to shut the camera down, and then turn it on again, to get the screen back. PITA.

Last edited:
Sorry for the lag... we had a pretty decent snow storm come thru here — and it's fricking cold! Thanks, Luke and H-n-T. It took me a devil long time to find that 'autofocus menu'?! I was in the AF-A and switched to AF-S. I even found 'Exposure Compensation'... The body came from Japan a number of years ago — I think I bought it off Ebay and lens from one of the 'no Saturdays' folks in New York. I never got a manual.

Flyer... I also hate that little wheel. I am kinda clumsy and am constantly turning on the #*@*! self-timer! I'll stay away from manual focus.

One other thing I did was an upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4. Don't know as I noticed anything...

A quickie out the door... It's better. I need some closer work really see. Thanks again, guys. Cheers. Jim

SnowMB.jpg

Back