Olympus I still think the XZ-1 is one of the best out there...

Thanks for that. That shows the power of post processing. The processed image really pops.

Wonderful example of post processing, Sue
Thank you :):)

I don't think I have *not* post processed for a very long time, but I don't like to overcook... I get close to the edge at times but try not to overdo it. I think that being able to process these shots in this way also shows that the output from the XZ is pretty damned good to start with. The first shot in the example is flat... boring... no life to it. But the processed shot shows what was really there... the RAW captured it, the jpg couldn't display it, and the processing drew it out. That's what post processing is for, isn't it... :)

I got my wife an XZ-1 and she really enjoyed it on a recent trip to Dinseyworld. The only problem was that I went through the shots and noticed that the auto setting wouldn't push beyond iso 200 even if the shutter speed got down to 1/10. She likes the auto setting, but I may try to convince her to check and push it to 400/800 indoors.

Sue:
I agree with your assessment of the XZ-1, and love your photos, which pretty much prove your point. I keep trying out point and shoot cameras, and keep coming back to it. (I"m on my second now.) The RX100 is probably superior, but you cannot use it with a viewfinder, which is a huge drawback for me. The X10, which I'm considering next, is probably too large, as was the Nkon V1, which I just sold, three days after getting it. The quality is great, but it's as big as my E-P2, which I like more.

The xz-1 so far is the only one that has the image quality I want (at least if I shoot in raw), along with all the other features. The lack of Exp lock is trivial to me. I use is usually in aperture priority and my old OM-2, on which I learned to shoot Aperture prioity automatic never had locks or other bells and whistles. I almost never use it on cameras that have it. If the exposure is that challenging I throw it into manual.

I may still get the X10, that appeals to me for lots of reasons, but it looks like the XZ-1 will be my "take anywhere" camera for a while yet.

Thanks, Lawrence. Still lovin the XZ and have still not felt any compulsion to upgrade. The X-10 periodically calls me and I periodically go to the camera store and look at it and I periodically, therefore, rediscover that I actively dislike the way you turn it on and off. I prefer a button or switch and I cannot see why Fuji chose to go down this path. I would probably get used to it, but given that I dont like it to begin with, I think I would use it less.

The VF2 is further away than ever... car repairs needed... today... there goes the savings.

Sorry about the car. Mine just passed the 36,000mile bumper to bumper warranty, so now any unusual noise makes me slightly ill.

I bit the bullet on the X10. I sold the Nikon V1 I'd bought -- I don't want another system, even if it is a nice camera -- and used the proceeds to buy a used X10 with the new sensor. It looked pristine in the photos. I doubt, though, that I'll trade in the XZ-1. Its size is often as big as I want to carry. If I know I'm going to photograph, I take along the E-M5, a camera a really love, that reminds me of my beloved OM1 (which I still shoot), but it's hardly really "compact" except against some of the canikon monsters.

Keep the XZ-1 images coming. Yours really show what the camera can do.

Sue you shot are exemplary, as they said keep em up.
The XZ-1 offers a unique balance of sheer lens speed, IQ and compactness

Back