I think I'm bored with mirrorless systems

Try the Coolpix A/Ricoh GR, before I tried and played with so many cameras LX7, XZ1, RX100, OMD with 17mm, 45mm, E-PM1, E-PL2, E-P1, Canon EOS-M call me a changeable mind lol!! some I return and others I sold then I ultimately decided to simply my shooting with a single focal length and grow my photography from there I've been happily shooting my GR for a week now and I have with me always for whenever opportunities present themselves.

Hi,

I can understand that feeling.
I have a OM-D and have had other DSLRs. But here's the rub, I get out my GX200 Ricoh (yes everyone snubs them as being noisy etc) and some of my fav pix have been shot with it.
Foolishly, I sold my GXr with 50mm eq to fund the OM-d. The GXR was a nicer thing to 'use'.
Oh, this is the serious COMPACTS website I guess. I could well ditch the OM-D for and XZ-2 with finder or GR.

Oliver

Hi Oliver, welcome to SC! Both very nice cameras (and so is the GXR), looking forward to seeing some shots with them!
Oh, and no worries about the "compacts" part of the name, we're pretty liberal about that. If you check out the forum index, you'll see we deal with small-sensor compacts, large-sensor compacts, mirrorless aka compact system cameras, small DSLRs, film cameras - so long as you like it because it's (relatively) easy to carry, we'll consider it compact ;) and if you still have doubts: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/what-compact-my-camera-compact-16/

Mine are pretty damn happy with me at the moment - "Hey, he took us to Italy this month - ALRIGHT!!!" I'm afraid next month is gonna be a serious letdown and they'll start talking smack about me again though....

-Ray
haha.. ain't that right!

for me environment has a lot to do with it. i'm inspired more to shoot depending on where i'm at and what the weather is like. i can't wait to move back to the east coast or pnw, or at least out of where i'm currently at in cali.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

Mirrorless, isn't great for everything. I love the image quality of my Nikon D800 but I don't love carrying it and several lenses around. I have always liked small cameras even going back to the film days (I had Contax T, Ricoh GR and even the little Rollie 35 back it the day) I'm not getting any younger and If I am going to be walking around for long periods (over 3 or 4 hours) I generally will go with a couple of smaller cameras RX1, Fuji X-E1, M4/3 or CoolpixA. I like to have both wide and tele lenses with me but don't like changing lenses. It doesn't have to be this or that, it can be this and that.

Mine are pretty damn happy with me at the moment - "Hey, he took us to Italy this month - ALRIGHT!!!" I'm afraid next month is gonna be a serious letdown and they'll start talking smack about me again though....

-Ray

I think that after almost four months on the road mine are wondering when they are going to get a rest or at least a decent clean! The E-M5 probably thinks that just because it is weather resistant doesn't mean that I shouldn't be worried about getting it wet, and the GXR is probably mighty annoyed that it got left at home.

Problem is, I still would really like a pocket "normal lens" (i.e. around 50mm eq.) camera. There just ain't one I'd buy. Sigma DP series comes close, but I know the performance speed and high ISO limits would drive me nuts. I wish Fuji did an RX100 in a 50mm eq.

Ricoh GXR with A12/50mm lensor.

It has an excellent 33mm (~50mm EFL) prime lens, superb handling and very enjoyable image quality.

AND if you buy just one lensor, it's a fixed lens camera! Problem solved!

-Ray

My G12 says.. "See.. you did use me again!" Because it knew that after Australia I was looking to sell it.. it just didn't happen. And yet it feels that cold shiver even as it gloats knowing that it's time could be short. My GR is saying.. "How can you even conceive of getting rid of me you haven't pressed every button and tried every setting and damn don't I do it all.. what do you see in that Fuji anyway??" And it is quite possible that the Fuji won't do it for me either and I am wondering if I should hang it up for a while, sell the majority of it, keep the few I treasure and give it a break. I think we have all been there.

------------------------------------------------------------
Wt

Cameras are tools, if they can't perform the function you need then they are simply the wrong tool. Having several of them that do nearly the same thing means it isn't the camera at that point, it's the photographer. Sue gave some great links on contemplative photography which I've also heard called Miksang among other things. I shoot a lot like that. I shoot a lot of macro. Sometimes simplistic, sometimes bursting with pattern, sometimes abstract explosions of color. That comprises most of my photography though I do explore other things.

Starting a project was a good idea, narrowing the camera selection could be a good idea but make sure you have your bases covered as far as what you like to shoot. Film is even a good idea as you don't need to think about anything but getting your shot and then send it off to a lab. If you begin to enjoy it.. then you can start developing. Gas is dangerous to more than the wallet, when you run out of it you deflate and it gets ugly. I was really happy with my little XSi.. and then I saw all the other stuff out there. To be honest.. not one thing I've bought has made me as elated, perhaps because it was my first dslr, my first real digital other than a 2mb powershot.

And yeah I'm thinking, hell I could have gotten both the zeiss lenses I like instead of this Fuji.. so who knows. maybe it won't make it out of the box. I hope you get over your funk, try some different things, but maybe like me you just need to take a few steps backwards rather than reaching for the newest. Go back to the beginning and then get on a more satisfying path. A dslr and a lightweight camera to compliment sound perfect.

Today there are so many options to choose from and by looking for the best we just get exhausted. We buy different cameras one after the other because we think that the next camera is so much better, but at the end they are all more or less the same and we get bored. We have just lost something and we have completely forgotten what that is and we need someone to tell us the obvious because the most important truths are often obvious. Eventually we may realize, that if we cannot find satisfaction with what we have, we won't find satisfaction with what we desire, either.

Technical image quality was important at the advent of digital photography. Right now almost every camera is good enough for almost everything.

We all can take a break and finally start taking pictures. After all, your camera is only as good as you are and not the other way around. Methinks.

Being in the business of selling cameras for a living it is SO difficult for me as I live and breath cameras. The new Panasonic GX7 has me in a tizz. It's the camera I have always wanted...or more like the one I wanted when I had the GF1 all those years ago. I have a Canon 6D and the Sigma DP1m, I really don't need 2 Sigmas so I have sold the DP2m as I prefer the 28mm field of view from the DP1m. I only have the 50mm f1.8 lens for the 6D but I really fancy the Sigma 35mm f1.4 as it's awesome on full frame and near enough the perfect focal length for me. I did promise myself that I would not go any smaller sensor size than APS-C regardless of which camera I bought in the future. I recently swapped an old lens for a G5 and 14-45 lens which is for when I go to Florida in October.

When the GX7 was announced I was all over it, desperate to get one but now after a few days I'm not so sure. If I bought it I will have ANOTHER camera to confuse me when I want to go shooting. Do i take this or that etc...AAHHHRR I'm getting a bit fed up with the choices so I'm finding that my thinking is changing to 'Less is more'! I love and I mean LOVE full frame so the 6D is staying but I really need to keep things light. The DP1m is staying as it's awesome beyond awesomeness!! SO I'm probably going to get a 35mm f1.4 lens for the Canon or a short zoom with f2.8 aperture and use the DP1m. The G5 I will keep until after the holiday and see how I feel about it then.

Pictor has kinda hit the nail on the head, too many options!

To be honest, the E-M5 is the best camera I have ever shot with. Period.

At the moment I enjoy being with my Canon G12 so much. It is so tiny and light and it can be with me all the time. I know that I might enjoy being with the Canon S90 I handed to my mother even more because of that. Maybe I should have bought the Nikon J3 with the 18.5mm lens, because that's all I really need to be happy and that camera could be with me all the time wherever I go.

I am not bored with my E-M5, but sometimes I am tired of having to carry a bag big enough for it when I am not primarily out for shooting.

Eventually I may realize, that if I cannot find satisfaction with what I have, I won't find satisfaction with what I desire, either.

I've been looking back at my photo collection and I've realized that I've bought and sold so many cameras that were all perfectly fine for the job. By the time I've processed them to my liking they're all much of a muchness with the exception of the RX1 which gives a truly outstanding picture but will probably only come into it's own for my travel photography. I just sold the Ricoh GR because I just couldn't see the screen without my reading glasses, regardless of it's output it just wasn't useable for me and that's the crux of the matter.

Back