Micro 4/3 I think the time has come to let go

I'm still firmly entrenched in m4/3. There was a time in which I was nearly m4/3 and 4/3 free. But m4/3 slowly sucked me right back in with the release of faster lenses and better sensors. I have tried dumping the m4/3 for the likes of Sony NEX and Fuji XP/XE, but found myself again and again back with m4/3. The romantic/nostalgic feelings of handling a Fuji makes my heart skip -- almost Leica like. But the operational performance of the OMD and latest generation of m4/3 cameras make all the difference for me. And the upcoming GX7 will finally give what a lot of m4/3 fans have been hoping for -- a rangefinder styled camera with a built in VF. m4/3 still has my attention. For now anyway!!

I am always interested to read these as a way of doing a check on where I am and where I might be headed. For me, for now, m4/3 has become my prime (pardon the pun?) tool. The Nikon DSLRs got too heavy and suffered a massive inventory reduction. Totally against all expectations, the RX100 turned out to be the pocket camera of my dreams. But in between, m4/3 provides a balance of weight, bulk, image quality and performance that I am completely happy with. FWIW (not much, since this is all intensely personal :)).

My OMD is just sitting in the case, lonely and unused, I think I am almost there, to say goodbye to M4/3. I think I am going sell off all of my remaining M4/3 gear OMD body, grip 75, 12-50, 12 and 7-14.
If the Ricoh GR works out as planned then the M4/3 goes up for sale on Monday.

I just picked up a GR as well. Fantastic little camera. I'm hanging on to my M43 setup, however. I still need the flexibility of changing lenses. Best of luck!

I left m43 briefly but am now back in with the E-PL5 and 2 pancake lenses and a few adapters for legacy glass. Got to say I'm liking the new sensors a lot - seems a big leap from the GH2 and GF3 I had before. I find the dof the m43 sensor gives is ideal for street work. I'll keep my Nikon J1 for uber discrete work but the V1 will be sold on. I have the Sony NEX 5N for APS-C work on the street if I fancy a change but I'm still waiting on a decent wide E-mount pancake..

I just got myself a X-E1 after shooting the E-M5, E-PM2 and E-P5.

I sold all my mu43 bodies but kept the lenses, I will definitely buy another mu43 body in the next few months, I am just waiting for the price of the E-P5 to go down. I love that camera :)

This is almost deja vu for me. Had a love-hate relationship with m43rds since the GF1 was introduced. Then about a year ago I just did not feel like using my camera any more. Slowly sold off all my lenses and just left myself with a GH-2, 20/1.7 and 100-300 for backyard birding.

My fear with m43rds is that it is a technically self-imposed cul-de-sac. A full frame m43rds camera would be a contradiction in terms. Increasing the density of the pixels on the fixed size of the m43rds sensr can only lead to reduced IQ.

I'm slowly divesting myself of my film equipment as well. I just can't get enthused about the process any longer and the lack of a decent and affordable film scanner is getting me down (and, no, I don't think the new Plustek 120 is either decent or affordable).

So, I hear you brother! I'm using small compacts (RX1, DP2M, DP3M) as a sort-of bridge until either Sony or Sigma introduce interchangeable full-frame or APS-C compacts using their current technical superiority. That, or I'm going back to Nikon.

Decision, decisions and uncertain futures, eh?

LouisB

Those threads are really entertaining. It seems people are choosing their cameras with more passion and scrutiny than their spouses. :eek: :D

I think Micro 4/3 is a technological dead-end because we will never see a Micro 4/3 camera with bigger sensor. But so are Sony NEX or Fujifilm X because all their current lenses are designed for APS-C image circle and won't work on full-frame cameras.

Obviously, Sony will release a full-frame mirrorless camera sooner or later. So what? With NEX, it took them 3 years to create a very scarce lineup of (mostly) optically very average lenses. How many lenses will an FF NEX have? One? Two? Somehow I doubt Sony will be able to execute, especially given the fact that full-frame lenses will pose even more of a design challenge.

In any case, camera is just a tool. Right now I use Micro 4/3 because it's the smallest system that has (mostly) sufficient image quality for my purposes. If any other camera system comes closer to fulfilling my needs, I will switch in a heartbeat. But so far all other systems come and go, but it seems Micro 4/3 is here to stay (at least in my household).

I left M43 for a stint to use the Nikon 1 system. But I've decided to get another M43 body. The APS-C mirrorless cameras are tempting, but M43 is the most entrenched with a variety of lenses and CHEAP bodies. I have a full Nikon FX DSLR kit and APS-C isn't that big a leap from M43 to me. I value the size advantage and economic factors that M43 provides as a secondary system. If I were to run only one system though, I'd probably go with one of the APS-C mirrorless bodies.

Those threads are really entertaining. It seems people are choosing their cameras with more passion and scrutiny than their spouses. :eek: :D
Yeah, but camera's don't get to choose back! If you can pay the freight, ANY camera will be willing to come home with you. With a spouse, its' gotta be mutual - a MUCH tougher nut to crack!

-Ray

Yeah, but camera's don't get to choose back! If you can pay the freight, ANY camera will be willing to come home with you. With a spouse, its' gotta be mutual - a MUCH tougher nut to crack!

-Ray

Or even harder, stay with you. My cameras have come and gone but my wife has put up with me for 34 amazing years.

Back