Micro 4/3 I think the time has come to let go

Interesting thread. I was out of m4/3s, through a couple of Xs with Fuji and an NEX, and a FF Canon. Back to the E-M5 for a third time, but hopefully a bit wiser. 45/1.8 + 17/1.8 + 12-50. May add the 75-300, but that's it for me. Still keeping a modest DSLR kit for sports (mostly because resale value is so low), and using my RX100 a lot. No interest in the GX7 or the E-M1, or the new higher end lenses. My next upgrade will be for something significantly better than the RX100. I'm prepared to wait a couple of generations for that.

My realization (or belief) is that so many cameras are so good right now that I really can get off the treadmill and stop chasing the next best thing. And I don't think that has been true for too long now, which has helped me to convince myself that this plan is legitimate. We'll see.

Even though the M 4/3 systems did not work out for me I still think there are some great cameras and lens in the system.
The problem I find in many of posters the M/43 forums is the personal identity they attach to the "their system". At the end of the day it is just one of many camera solutions for recording and creating images, if it works for you great, if not fine, no system is perfect. Whatever camera you use or own is not a statement about who you are, it is just a camera you bought, nothing more nothing less.

Nihil novum sub sole. "Full frame" was for a long time an amateur format in film days. People who were "serious" shot 2 1/4 or larger...and people got all torqued up and defensive about their format.

Just bring me the photos... :)

I don't understand the animosity between Olympus and Panasonic users either. I've mostly used Olympus cameras, because I've liked the way they do things since my first OM-1. But my first prime lens was the Panasonic 20mm, which I am still happily using on the Pen-F, my prime shooter these days. My dream camera would be a digital version of the Olympus 35 SP film rangefinder from times past. I loved that camera, and the digital Pen with the Panasonic 20mm and manual focus gives me as close to the same experience as I can afford. But if someone would make a fixed lens real digital rangefinder (not just "rangefinder style", whatever that means) with the same roughly 40mm lens that the 35 SP had, I'd be a very happy man. I regret that rangefinders are not as popular as they were in the 60's when good, cheaper alternatives to Leica were available. Meanwhile my Pen F serves me well, with my OMD EM5 (original version) as backup. I'll stick with m43 as a system for the time being, as it serves my needs most of the time, but I'll replace the Sony RX1 I got rid of too. I have no ax to grind with people who make different choices, though I confess I'd hate to see m43 bite the dust. I take some comfort that the demise of the format has been forecast as imminent for some time now.

Same arguments as well.
I am new to the site and started reading this thread thinking it was from last month. I guess this same discussion has been going on longer than I thought. :(

For me, my m43 gear is too convenient to not deserve a spot in my collection.

That being said, I have been toying with the idea of selling my em1ii and getting something a little lighter. Who knows, maybe there will be an em5iii at some point.

I've dumped my M43 gear twice already, only to buy another M43 body! I recently picked up a used minty E-M10 I mainly to use with my BCLs I was letting my kid use! Plus it's the last camera in M43's line-up to use the Sony 16mp sensor before switching off to the Panasonic 16mp and Sony 20mp sensor. I actually prefer the output from the Sony 16mp sensor mainly due to colors and sharper images (versus the Panasonic 16mp sensor). I may pick up a super zoom for it, since M43 tends to shine in the budget category of lenses.

I am new to the site and started reading this thread thinking it was from last month. I guess this same discussion has been going on longer than I thought. :(

For me, my m43 gear is too convenient to not deserve a spot in my collection.

That being said, I have been toying with the idea of selling my em1ii and getting something a little lighter. Who knows, maybe there will be an em5iii at some point.
Old threads can be funny. There are some fundamental trade-offs we all deal with that are yet to be overcome. Size vs. Ergonomics, for example. I've been really happy with my EM1 ii and it has put my EM5 ii in the the storage area. For me, the EM5 ii is just not small enough to sacrifice the advantages of the EM1 ii.

Last edited:
For me, the EM5 ii is juts not small enough to sacrifice the advantages of the EM1 ii.

I have been downsizing my excess gear and I have been agonizing over which one of these to sell. The rumors of a potential replacement for the em1ii early next year make it even harder to decide.

Return Of The Living Thread! :eek:

The E-M5 was my first m43 camera, and it's sitting on the desk in front of me right now. Weather sealing and touchscreen shooting were the main reasons I bought it. Since then, I've bought a GH3, GH4, GM1 and a GX85 just a few months ago. M43 is still going strong for me. Tomorrow, I'm going for a long photo walk and taking the GX85 with Olympus 12/2 and 25/1.8. Going to have a great time with a light, versatile kit!

M43 is not going anywhere because people still like compact systems. Sure the bodies are pretty comparable across the sensor sizes and product lines, but with body+lens combos there's like two systems out there that do compact sets, the Leica M and then M43. And with such an empty wallet, I'm with M43. :ninja: And that was just about normal/wide normal focal lengths. With telephoto enthusiasts who appreciate a light bag there's nothing like M43 out there.

I got myself a Pen-F after years of Fuji X100T and Leica Q with the promise of great lenses and deep DOF (great for streetwork). Promises kinda kept but not really. Some of the lenses draw very prettily and some draw very ugly, and sadly for someone who likes to do zone focus (manual preset focus distances at tight apertures) there are not many options in the native m43 lineup, and they draw pretty ugly... :hide: But can't really get rid of the system because I just like the lightweight options available too much. Lenses like the Panasonic 35-100 f/4-5.6 which weighs just 135 grams and offers an entirely satisfactory image. Can't replicate that zoom range in that size/weight class, with that image quality, anywhere.

Back