Fuji I' ve given this a thumbs-up...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
The handling of my X-E1 was transformed this week by the arrival of a Thumbs Up EP-9S from Match Technical. I've never used one before, but coming as I do very much from a film background I am used to handling a camera by hooking my thumb on the rewind lever; it is one of the minor frustrations for me that modern digital cameras often have the handling characteristics of a piece of soapstone and I like to have a firm grip. The Thumbs Up is the brainchild of Tim Issac; never met the chap, but I do remember his initial designs for the Leica M8 and M9 to combat their breeze-block handling and I am pleased to see that he has turned those first products into a sensible range that fits on a number of our cameras. The main difference for me is that the weight of the camera is now taken by my thumb and by the heel of my hand; previously my little finger took much of the load, curled up painfully under the corner of the case.

Here is the Thumbs-up in place:

View attachment 10822
X-E1 and Thumbs Up by Lightmancer, on Flickr

...and here is my X-E1 finally fettled to my preference; a decent half-case (Gariz in this instance), Thumbs Up, a wrist strap from RG Lewis in London and a proper metal hood instead of that frustrating plastic jobbie.

I'm ready to roll...

View attachment 10823
X-E1 1 by Lightmancer, on Flickr

I really like the way Match Technical has the little arm with the silicone insert that hooks over the top plate for added support. I'm not crazy (in theory) about how the Lensmate grip clamps on the the hotshoe and even less enamored by the versions that just slip in. It seems to me that too much pressure or even a relatively gentle bump could flex/bend the hotshoe. I definitely plan on picking one up for the X100S. Now the only question is which colour - silver or black?

Tim Issac used to run match Frameworks (small m in match) and built bicycle frames for Rivendell and other small makers. I think they built the Schwinn Paramoumt high end steel frames when Waterford was trying to bring those back too. Now he makes camera doo-dads. I like the thumbs up on my X-Pro but preferred the lensmate version on my X100. But I like the way a thumb grip improves the stability of the camera.

I would think the X-Pro and XE1 should use different models though because the hot shoe looks to be located a good deal farther to the right on the XE1, to account for the flash.

-Ray

Tim Issac used to run match Frameworks (small m in match) and built bicycle frames for Rivendell and other small makers. I think they built the Schwinn Paramoumt high end steel frames when Waterford was trying to bring those back too. Now he makes camera doo-dads. I like the thumbs up on my X-Pro but preferred the lensmate version on my X100. But I like the way a thumb grip improves the stability of the camera.

-Ray

I'm even more inclined to go with the Match Technical version now that I'm aware of the cycling connection. What did you prefer about the Lensmate version for the X100? I'm not sure I'd be crazy about how it completely wraps around the exposure comp dial...

I'm even more inclined to go with the Match Technical version now that I'm aware of the cycling connection. What did you prefer about the Lensmate version for the X100? I'm not sure I'd be crazy about how it completely wraps around the exposure comp dial...

I liked the thumb placement, I liked how solidly in place it was and I DID like the way it wrapped around the exposure comp because it helped anchor the whole thing in place and the exposure comp on that camera was pretty easy to inadvertently turn. It was still easy enough to tur with your shutter button finger, but fewer accidental changes. Of course, the exposure comp dial on the X100s will likely be perfect and then it'll be harder to turn with that finger and the design wont work as well - such is life!

The cycling connection was kind of funny. I was ordering from Match and got an email from a guy named Tim Issac and I knew it was ringing a bell but it took me a while to put two and two together. When it did, I sent him an email and just asked him and he said, yup same guy, same company name. He had a couple of good frame builders working for him in those days who I think are still doing custom work of their own, but he just got out altogether. I don't think that small shop had a happy ending somehow. I guess I chased him from one obsession to another and he was there, ready to take a bit of my money when I arrived! ;)

-Ray

Bill, how does the "thumbs up" work in relation to the thumb wheel below it? Does it impede that wheels operation in any way?
Thanks,
Dennis.

Actually, I was out using the X-E1 with manual lenses today and I found it improved handling no end. The thumbwheel is in no way impeded and just a fraction of a move to reach to magnify the image. Impressed. It doesn't get in the way of the exposure comp dial either.

Back