I Want to Be a Borg

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Name
Steve
1607880713512.png

The more I use the X-S10, the more I use the fully articulated screen (FAS) in ways that are unique to this little gizmo. I find I am far more likely to try different POV in my shots, and this has proved to be productive, at least to me. I have always liked the tilt LCD for waist level/lower angle shots, but I've expanded this far more with the FAS. I've had FAS before, but never seemed to take advantage of them. Of course, some form of stabilization is more important since I am often holding the camera in strange ways. I could mimic much of this by changing my body position, but I find as I get older I am less willing to kneel/lie down/wallow on/in the ground/mud/snow/puddle. It would be interesting to try a wearable EVF as a further extension of this capability. Of course, there has been some dabbling in this area, including the US military in the Land Warrior system:
1607881254899.png

This is hard for casual shooting since it makes you look like a Borg, but for a day of dedicated shooting it would be useful and it is well within the boundaries of current technology. Of course, the usual disclaimers about type of photography, etc., apply.

I sort of see where you're going with this. I know that on the few occasions in recent years that I have walked anywhere in London, I‘ve wished that I could take a photo just by blinking. In the time it takes to pull out a phone, let alone a camera, the moment has gone. I suppose I’d need a bionic eye or something.

Let's take a moment to remember what Google Glass could have been....

View attachment 242939
There were some real social problems with Google Glass. Bars and restaurants would ban them and some folks got outright aggressive about them. It's tricky when you are on private property and folks think you are trying to hide it. It should also come with a range of different style mustaches.

There were some real social problems with Google Glass. Bars and restaurants would ban them and some folks got outright aggressive about them. It's tricky when you are on private property and folks think you are trying to hide it. It should also come with a range of different style mustaches.
I do wonder if Google Glass came out today at would be better received.

You mean when Apple "invents" a technology that others have been doing for years 😜
Dick Tracy invented the Apple Watch.
1607963638108.png

Some tech is obvious but someone needs to figure out how to do it. Other stuff, no one seriously considered and the very idea catches us off guard. The story is that Jobs stole the GUI/Mouse from Xerox, but I wonder who else had that idea earlier.

Last edited:
I definitely picked that particular photo for the 'stache.

You mean when Apple "invents" a technology that others have been doing for years 😜
You gotta admit that Apple has a strong track record of taking an idea and running with it just when the technology is mature enough to support a smooth user experience. They've had some duds (see Newton) but they've been on point over the last 20 years.

You gotta admit that Apple has a strong track record of taking an idea and running with it just when the technology is mature enough to support a smooth user experience. They've had some duds (see Newton) but they've been on point over the last 20 years.
It's the way the market it. They act as if a certain feature never existed before Apple invented it. Meanwhile I'm over here going, Ya, I've been using that for 5 years now.

It's the way the market it. They act as if a certain feature never existed before Apple invented it. Meanwhile I'm over here going, Ya, I've been using that for 5 years now.
It's often true that the actual inventor, assuming we know who that is, is not the one to make the product successful. Unfortunately, the popularizer is often the one who gets the credit and, more to the point, the money. This is especially true if they figure a way to use the technology that's more appealing to a broader group.

I think it has more to do with how they execute. Before the iPod, I had a Creative Labs MP3 player. It was a device that only a geek like me could love, with a rudimentary desktop app, limited storage, and one or two AA batteries for power. The iPod killed it with a great interface on the desktop and device, expectation-bending storage, and a dead simple way to purchase and transfer songs.

Likewise, before the iPhone, I had a Motorola clamshell "smart" phone and a Windows phone with stylus. The Motorola had a tiny LCD screen and the Windows phone (a Samsung, I think) was neat but the screen was crappy and the Windows on a phone is clunky at best. The iPhone simply blew those devices out of the water.

Apple's brilliance continues to be bringing neat ideas to the market once the technology is able to support a seamless user experience.

I think it has more to do with how they execute. Before the iPod, I had a Creative Labs MP3 player. It was a device that only a geek like me could love, with a rudimentary desktop app, limited storage, and one or two AA batteries for power. The iPod killed it with a great interface on the desktop and device, expectation-bending storage, and a dead simple way to purchase and transfer songs.

Likewise, before the iPhone, I had a Motorola clamshell "smart" phone and a Windows phone with stylus. The Motorola had a tiny LCD screen and the Windows phone (a Samsung, I think) was neat but the screen was crappy and the Windows on a phone is clunky at best. The iPhone simply blew those devices out of the water.

Apple's brilliance continues to be bringing neat ideas to the market once the technology is able to support a seamless user experience.
Not to get to into this to much but I much prefer the Android life and chuckle every time Apple "invents" something we have been using for years.

Back