Fuji I want to carve into the i-shoot grip!

Joe500

Rookie
I bought the i-shoot grip for X-E1 and later the Lensmate thumb grip. Both (individually) help the handling in different ways but, when used together, the top contoured flange of the handgrip obstructs comfortable access to the shutter release. This is because of the altered hand position when using the thumb grip.
However, even though it adds weight and bulk, I'm a bit in love with the I-shoot grip and would like to carve a bit off the top of the handgrip component. I read on the forum that this part is plastic although to me it appears to be cast metal, and cold to the touch like the rest of the bracket. As far as I can tell, the upper part of the handgrip is solid material.
Before I start filing (and smoothing off) the top of the handgrip component (and possibly ruining it) I'd like to know for sure: (i) is it metal (in which case the black finish would be spoilt) or is it self-colored plastic? And (ii) Is it definitely uniform solid material (as it appears to be to me) so that I can file it down without exposing an air space or inconsistent mateial structure?
Thanks for any advice!

I believe its anodized aluminum so filing it down would remove the black color. Perhaps jloden can comment further as I know he actually has the grip whereas I'm just speculating.

Joe500,
the I- shoot grip is all aluminum, no Plastic, so when you file the black anodizing will come off. But if you take the grip after modification, to a good automotive parts store, they will have a digital reader that can scan the black grip, to determine its color

Then, after scanning this will give them a code to match the black anodizing color exactly.they can then mix you up a spray can of automotive paint you can spray over the affected area.

Be sure to tell them what sheen you want, I have the I- shoot grip and mine is a satin sheen. This automotive paint is very tough, should work good for you.

Dennis

Helpful!

Joe500,
the I- shoot grip is all aluminum, no Plastic, so when you file the black anodizing will come off. But if you take the grig after modification, to a good automotive parts store, they will have a digital reader that can scan the black grip, to determine its color

Then, after scanning this will give them a code to match the black anodizing color exactly.they can then mix you up a spray can of automotive paint you can spray over the affected area.

Be sure to tell them what sheen you want, I have the I- shoot grip and mine is a satin sheen. This automotive paint is very tough, should work good for you.

Dennis

Thanks to both - it's clear to me now that the grip's all metal. Tips on matching colour - thanks Dennis. I will probably be unable to resist the temptation to file the part. Maybe a satin black spray over the whole grip component will be OK - even though I wonder about the durability.

Joe 500, I have used this automotive paint a few times, its the new automotive polyurethane , that they put on new cars,and is very tough.I have sprayed it on the wife's refrigerator handles and it holds up great, tough and scratch resistant.

But you have to find an auto place that has the digital scanner to match the color exactly, then you do not have to spray the hole grip, but you could.
Dennis.

I have two different iShoot grip/L plates, and I always thought the grip part was plastic. Now that I look closer it could just be aluminum with textured hard coated finish on it though.

If you decide to cut into it or file it down, good luck with the re-finishing bit.

Just a thought.

Why not drill into the area you want to hack from the back (camera) side of the grip, just to be absolutely sure it's solid rather than hollow? worst case you'll have a tiny hole in a location that isn't even visible in use.

The ishoot is definitely aluminum. On a cold day, the grip becomes the coldest part of the camera and is chilling to hold. Refinishing will likely be the least of your problems unless you're a machinist. How about making a new grip with a 3d printer?

I carved into the i-shoot grip! Worked out well and the combo handles quite comfortably - until I compare it to my Canon DSLR! I'd hoped to add "before" and "after" photos but seems I need to have more posts before I'm allowed to create an album :(
I bought the i-shoot grip for X-E1 and later the Lensmate thumb grip. Both (individually) help the handling in different ways but, when used together, the top contoured flange of the handgrip obstructs comfortable access to the shutter release. This is because of the altered hand position when using the thumb grip.
However, even though it adds weight and bulk, I'm a bit in love with the I-shoot grip and would like to carve a bit off the top of the handgrip component. I read on the forum that this part is plastic although to me it appears to be cast metal, and cold to the touch like the rest of the bracket. As far as I can tell, the upper part of the handgrip is solid material.
Before I start filing (and smoothing off) the top of the handgrip component (and possibly ruining it) I'd like to know for sure: (i) is it metal (in which case the black finish would be spoilt) or is it self-colored plastic? And (ii) Is it definitely uniform solid material (as it appears to be to me) so that I can file it down without exposing an air space or inconsistent mateial structure?
Thanks for any advice!

Back