Sony I was bored and now I own a Sony a7ii...oops

Curiosity
_DSC0353.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC0375-2.jpg

The A7 has arrived. Getting dark already and the battery needs charging. But it looks good. The guys at my local Best Buy were pretty impressed. Hope to take some shots tomorrow. I've ordered a second OEM battery and proper Sony plug-in rapid charger already. If initial results work out, I'll order the FE 50mm f/1.8.

Last edited:
I just went with some Wasabi batteries here and a double charger USB dock of them. Now I just can't decide on the next lens. The options are:

1. Sony 85mm 1.8 coming out in March
2. Canon EF 70-300mm IS II
3. Sony 28mm 2.0

I have a feeling I want all 3.

Some quick shots with my new $900 open-box A7 and the kit 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 that came with it. Taken where I work... in the newsroom and studios of Fox News Headlines 24/7 (SiriusXM Channel 115). All shots taken in Auto mode and are SOOC - only resized for the web.

DSC00005.JPG
DSC00007.JPG
DSC00013.JPG

Last edited:
First Post!
Hi Casey,
I've just sold my Nikon D750 to buy a Sony A7 or an RX1, but I just can't decide!
I keep looking at Leica/Voigtlander/Zeiss glass and it's swaying me to the A7.
But the size and quality of the RX1 is so good!
What do you miss about the RX1 and are you happy with the A7 compared to the RX1?

Cheers Steve.... :)

First Post!
Hi Casey,
I've just sold my Nikon D750 to buy a Sony A7 or an RX1, but I just can't decide!
I keep looking at Leica/Voigtlander/Zeiss glass and it's swaying me to the A7.
But the size and quality of the RX1 is so good!
What do you miss about the RX1 and are you happy with the A7 compared to the RX1?

Cheers Steve.... :)

Steve,
I can honestly say that both have their own unique strengths or benefits when it came to my personal use. The RX1's main perk for me was size (while being a FF), followed by that amazing 35mm f2 lens mated to it. The files were great, and it was very convenient to carry around with a few batteries.

In the end, I only parted with the RX1 as I wanted to further explore more compact setups as I had some other Fuji's in the roughly the same size footprint.

Now, I am very happy with the A7II as the stabilization and ability to mount Canon glass are both amazing Perls IMHO. I love that I can run my old manual FD lenses with ease, and in camera stabilization. For me, the A7II tops the RX1 but it is a larger setup and I feel like it is hard to truly compare them based on that aspect really turning them into two different beasts.

I love the A7II with my 17-40mm f4 L mounted, but it's pretty large compared to what the RX1 would be in comparison.

I don't really think you can make a bad choice between the two. If you don't feel the need to run anything outside of 35mm, the RX1 would be a hell of a way to go.

Steve,
I can honestly say that both have their own unique strengths or benefits when it came to my personal use. The RX1's main perk for me was size (while being a FF), followed by that amazing 35mm f2 lens mated to it. The files were great, and it was very convenient to carry around with a few batteries.

In the end, I only parted with the RX1 as I wanted to further explore more compact setups as I had some other Fuji's in the roughly the same size footprint.

Now, I am very happy with the A7II as the stabilization and ability to mount Canon glass are both amazing Perls IMHO. I love that I can run my old manual FD lenses with ease, and in camera stabilization. For me, the A7II tops the RX1 but it is a larger setup and I feel like it is hard to truly compare them based on that aspect really turning them into two different beasts.

I love the A7II with my 17-40mm f4 L mounted, but it's pretty large compared to what the RX1 would be in comparison.

I don't really think you can make a bad choice between the two. If you don't feel the need to run anything outside of 35mm, the RX1 would be a hell of a way to go.
I went with the A7II in the end, i'll have it next week.
I did miss an RX1R II for £1750 on eBay, high feedback seller too. I was a tad gutted about that one!
I do like the 35mm focal length, my 35mm was on my D750 80% of the time.
Gonna stick to manual focus lenses for a bit.
Any recommendations?
I want fast glass! (Doesn't everyone?)
I'm looking at the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 and the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 and about 100 others!!

Steve.... :)

I went with the A7II in the end, i'll have it next week.
I did miss an RX1R II for £1750 on eBay, high feedback seller too. I was a tad gutted about that one!
I do like the 35mm focal length, my 35mm was on my D750 80% of the time.
Gonna stick to manual focus lenses for a bit.
Any recommendations?
I want fast glass! (Doesn't everyone?)
I'm looking at the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 and the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f1.1 and about 100 others!!

Steve.... :)

Man, missing a deal on an RX1R II wound make me pretty sad. That would be my ideal travel camera.

I'm not too current on the best 35mm manual options as I dabbled a little during my Fuji XT1 days, but not much since then. I'm sure others here will be able to add some solid info to that question.

I'm personally looking into the Canon EF 35mm ISM II 2.0, but I wouldn't mind adding some legacy lenses in the mix.

Congrats on the A7II! I've been working from home all day and had mine out charging. Nothing worth shooting, but it's still fun to tinker with.

Back