Leica I was given a Leica T...questions?

thanks chris. trying out something like this must be alot of fun. i know you shoot a good deal of legacy glass, and id be pretty interested to hear about that experience with the T, especially the regimen and effectiveness of focusing.
thanks.

Thanks, Chris - that's interesting about the firmware... I "know" a fellow in the UK who actually bought one and is using his. I'm going to ask him about his firmware.

In addition I appreciate your thoughts about "where this is going". Makes sense to me.

Looking forward to more from you when you're ready.

firmware 1.0

Just got the word about which firmware the T has been sold with, so far as I know, in the UK...via a very helpful fellow over on the l camera forum:

Got mine on Friday 25/4 in Manchester, England.

Firmware 1.0 on the camera, fresh out of the box. I got the 23mm Summicron and the Visoflex too.

I am still smiling widely :D

P.S. After discussing this a bit further, it turns out that firmware 0.0 is the current firmware and it is still in "beta". Apparently there was a bit of a mixup and the Leica dealers in the UK were not supposed to sell any until May 26th...but a few did get sold. Although this photographer's came with 1.0, it was not up to par with the 0.0 so he likes it even better at 0.0, but knows that this is still, as you said Chris, beta firmware.

In addition, this early buyer had a card in with his camera saying that there would be a firmware update available on the Leica site. Perhaps this will become available on May 26th. To me this is all good news, because one would certainly believe that the T would allow its LCD to be off when the photographer wants it to be. I'm sure there will be all sorts of improvements.

I've watched initial feedback on the T with interest.

I'm not interested in it as a potential buyer - I hate EVF's - but I do use Leica gear and want to see them prosper. Unfortunately I think the T could be a costly mistake for them.

It's not as ridiculous as the Hassy Lunar, granted, but they have taken a similar approach, i.e. wrapping standard components in some fancy packaging and giving it a 'luxury' price tag, hoping it will sell on the basis of the brands reputation.

It will be interesting to see if Leica develop an APSC line, or if this will be another dead end for them like 4/3rds.

Quite a few folks who have the camera and have used it with the native lenses as well as their other Leica lenses seem to like the camera quite a bit, although everyone has some helpful firmware update suggestions. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about this camera over on l camera forum where they love to criticize.;) I've seen some wonderful photos created with the T.

Back