Fuji I was surprised to find...

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
...that I genuinely am not too keen on the XQ1.

On paper at least, it offers some advantages in performance and speed over my current trusty XF1. When a black one appeared last week on the Fuji refurb. shop with a spare battery and leather half case for under £200 I pulled the trigger in the full intention of subsidising the purchase further by selling on my XF. It arrived this afternoon and a few short hours later I'm looking at the parcel on the hall table ready to go to the post office in the morning. It's going back, and I think I should share why.

The first surprise was that there is no separate charger. Like the Ricoh GR it charges batteries in the camera via a USB connection and plug. I abhor this trend; it may save a pound or two, but it is counter-productive. When travelling I want to be able to charge my spare battery while I am still carrying and using the camera - while out to dinner, for instance - ready for the next day. I could buy a separate charger, but...

The next surprise was that it is a new (to me at least) battery size. One of the things I generally appreciate about the X-Series is interchangeable batteries. My X-Pro, X-T and X-M all take the same battery - therefore I only need to carry a single charger and set of spares. Ditto my X20 and XF have the same battery size. I genuinely expected the XQ to continue this trend, but no.

Surprise #3 is that I found the handling less user-friendly than the XF. Without the half case it's fiddly, with the case it's awkward - the fit, particularly around the strap lugs is a bit hit and miss. The control ring around the lens is awkward to use in practice; the ring is narrow and set close to the body and doesn't fall readily to hand. This was a real disappointment and probably if truth be told the tipping point in my tale. The XF has come in for some criticism for it's unusual handling but I have to say it suits me better.

Half an hour in the garden with both cameras settled the matter. Looking at the results on my monitor side by side I made my choice. It's not that the XQ1 is a bad camera - far from it - but it is not a camera that is better enough to make the transition a foregone conclusion. To be fair I think I said something similar when it came out. The XQ2 is the new kid on the block now, but given that the primary improvement over the 1 is the addition of classic film mode I think my comments are equally as valid.

So the XQ1 goes back to Fuji for a full refund. The XF1 continues as my smallest "sensible" camera; the old dog has seen off the young(er) pretender. The moral of this story is simple - newer has to be significantly better to replace "old friends" I hope that Fuji has taken that to heart in their design of the X-Pro2.

In a few years, the XF1 might become a compact classic. It was definitely under-appreciated.

I remember buying at least 10 of them (together with custom cases) around their EOL to give them away to several of my friends.

I returned my X20 for different reasons. As much as I've tried to like it, I disliked the overcooked jpgs and the converter situation back then didn't exactly help to get better images from shooting RAWs. Anyway, the situation has changed, I like what I got from converting some of the usual test RAWs (DPR, IR, ...) and I might give the X20 a second try. It definitely wins against the X10 in the resolution department and regarding DR and noise I'm looking forward to some comparative real world shootouts. Actually the NEX-7 with the sh.t lens or one of the small primes isn't that much larger or heavier and wipes the floor with the little Fuji IQ wise but those Xy0 Fujis have their own charm and sometimes that wins over IQ.

Back