I went walking on Shepherd's Hill

Shepherd's Hill is the site of an abandoned radar station from WWII, it was moved from Shepherd's Hill in 1942 I think, but I'm not sure where it ended up.

Since then, the buildings have fallen into disrepair, but at least the iron gates used to be locked with lock and chain. Thats changed. When I went up today, I found that gates had been opened and the interiors "decorated". As I said on flickr, I found decay, decrepitude and disrespect.

I'll post B&W here but the colour versions are on flickr in the set entitled Shepherds Hill. I may add more to that, later.

View attachment 48721
Locked gate, broken into by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48722
Locked gate, broken into by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48723
Graffiti: Not good by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48724
Graffiti: BAD graffiti by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48725
More bad graffiti by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48726
External wall: Window by kyte50, on Flickr

View attachment 48727
External wall by kyte50, on Flickr

Ricoh GRD III

You should. And thank you for posting images Sue. All I see when I sign on is more cameras.. I want to see more photos, like what they can do!

Um you aren't lacking so you should be good.. for a while ;) I'm deciding if I need to keep the G12 now that I am home. Kinda just needed it for vacation. Of course then I have only film to share here..

I wonder if archaeologists of the future will dig this up and find the grafitti fascinating and/or teach them about our culture.

Will they assume that that is how we all communicated?

Will the professors and academics of the future try to decipher these symbols on the wall?

Will they give it the same level of reverence and academic weight that we give the Egyptian hieroglyphs or the Mayan calendars?

Will they predict the end of the world in these symbols and plan a mass planetary evacuation to the (then well-established) Mars colony?

Back