Fuji IF I got XE1, which body + lens combo?

wt21

Hall of Famer
For several reasons, I keep looking at an XE1. I've got a 5D + lenses and m43.

I keep thinking I might want to try XE1, and they are currently on sale, so I feel like I need to pull the trigger now, or I'll end up waiting quite some time for another sale. There's also the danger of stock running low during sales, so I don't want to delay too long.

Here's the question:
  • There are a couple of XE1 + 18-55 used kits for around $1,100. (I've also seen used body only for $829, but that doesn't seem to make sense)
  • If I wanted, I could then find a used 35/1.4 for around $500-550. That's $1,600-1,650 total for body + 2 lenses
  • I can buy a new XE1 + 18-55 for $1,400.
  • I can buy a new XE1 + 35/1.4 for $1,300.
  • I can buy a new XE1 body only for $1,000 + $800 for a new 18-55 & 35/1.4 (that's the sale) = $1,800

My conundrum is I'm a little leery of putting too much money into this system, as I have a lot in my FF and m43, and I'm not sure I really want the 35, so I'm thinking of trying the kit lens only. But, the sale with the 35 is pretty tempting. If I decide I want the 35 later, I'd be kicking myself pretty hard for not getting it in the sale. Buying used now seems to make the most sense, but are there any issues (as with the X100 and SAB) in buying an XE1 used?

Sorry for being confused publicly, but for (maybe obvious reasons) this is not something I'm quite eager to talk through with my wife :)

I've been told (because I'm also thinking of getting the XE at some point) that if you think you will want the 18-55mm to get it with the kit, as it is much cheaper that way. But also look at the deals B&H has, as listed on Serious Compacts. I've heard the 18-55mm zoom is easily as good at the 35mm optically, but if you need the speed and the focal length is one you'll use a lot, well, that makes sense too.

Just thinking out loud. I think I would get the zoom, since it is supposed to be so good, and get the primes later.

I have my 5D with a couple of nice portrait lenses, so I can get by on that. So, maybe you are right. Just roll with the kit as a "walk-around" approach.

I've been looking hard at that last combination (X-E1 + 18-55 + 35). B&H has similar deals substituting the 18 or 14 for the 35, but I keep coming back to the 35 as the ideal prime for me at this point.

But then I swing back to the X20 and X100S....and I decide to do nothing for the moment.

I went through the same thought process you did. I have similar gear to you as well (full frame Canon + m43). I ended up going with the X-E1 + 35mm. I considered the zoom In addition to the 35mm but when I had my 24-105mm for the Canon I rarely used it. The zoom looks to be a great lens and a great deal with the promotion if it interests you, but I figured I'd be better off saving the $499 and putting it toward either the 23mm or 56mm when they are released. I'll get an adapter for my legacy glass in case I want more options, but since the Fujis seem to have a learning curve in regard to getting used to the AF and the controls/menu options I think I'll be best served by limiting myself to the 35mm and getting the best I can out if that. If you're not sure you want the 35mm but like using zooms on your Canon, go with the 18-55mm. It really does look like a great performer optically, is the fastest focusing of all the lenses from my understanding, has IS, and is built like a dream compared to the others in my opinion (they're all nice though)

A bit of a dilemma there, I for one only own the 35 as I primarily shoot primes, however 18-55 kit is really good that if there was a lens that'll convert me into a zoom type of person, it would be this lens. So from purely a versatility perspective I'd suggest the body and an 18-55. However, if you got your heart set on the 35 prime and wont miss the other focal length the zoom can offer, then it's really the body and the 35 prime.

I'd hold off on buying the 18-55 and the 35 as the 18-55 covers what the 35 covers while sacrificing some speed, while its difficult to actually find someone who doesn't like 35. Based on what I would be comfortable with I'd just get one, not both (then again that's just me :))

I bought the X E1 with the 18-55;
It's a really nice lens.
I also got the 14 becuse I like wide fov and that isn't covered bt the zoom.The 14 is amazing!
I plan on getting the 35, and that will probably have me covered for a while.

Bill -

This is your nth post about buying the x-E1, go for it! That itch needs to be scratched, snap! :)

You know my thoughts about it. One point though - I bought mine used in Amazon and apart from the missing charger (which Amazon promptly corrected) I had no problems whatsoever so far.

Thanks for the pointer to Amazon! I was looking at eBay and 3rd party used, and was on the fence. I see Amazon has warehouse deals!

The Amazon warehouse deals certainly look the way to go if you're going with the kit. The used 35mm is still $550 though so the B&H or Adorama seem to be the way to go there

Oh I see, I found them under "used" but what does this mean?

Item may come repackaged. Minor cosmetic imperfection on front of item. Minor cosmetic imperfection on top or sides of item. Minor cosmetic imperfection on bottom or back of item. Accessories may have cosmetic damage. Eligible for 30-day return policy. Aftermarket warranty available for purchase from Square Trade since used items are not typically covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.
Bill, are you concerned about the warranty, or lack thereof?

Hi BB,

The warranty is a question. It's labeled used, so I would think it's used and therefore not under warranty. You do get Amazon's 30 day return policy. But, I had Panny TZ5 several years ago, and an issue arose, and Panny said that it was purchased through Amazon, so they covered it (I even pointed out that it was purchased through the warehouse deals, but they said no worries). Of course, that was several years ago now.

So, my assumption is there is no warranty, but you never know :)

At $1064 vs. $1399 there is room in there for a major repair and still break even. Or, you could look at adding a square trade warranty for $45 for one year.

Back