if I never hear it again

I met him on a movie set one time and asked him if he would preferred to be called 'Meat' or 'Mr Loaf'.....he did get it, and had a good laugh. Too bad about the music tho......

He rang the back door buzzer at my store in Santa Monica in 1982, and I opened the door and said "Hey, you look like Meatloaf". He growled "I am Meatloaf" very convincingly, and I didn't attempt any humor after that.

Just about anything by Conway Twitty. I will admit, however, that I have not made a thorough attempt to find if any are less than madening.

I saw quite a few Country music shows in Wheeling in the late 70's, and unfortunately Twitty's was probably the worst. The best were Merle Haggard (amazing!), Marty Robbins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roger Miller, and Tammy Wynette.

I saw quite a few Country music shows in Wheeling in the late 70's, and unfortunately Twitty's was probably the worst. The best were Merle Haggard (amazing!), Marty Robbins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roger Miller, and Tammy Wynette.

I'm not averse to CW music, especially the newer stuff. I really like southern rock. Twitty's voice is just fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.

I guess some of the music listed by all of you used to irritated me at times, but I have become more open minded and tolerant to all of it in small doses. Although I don't actively seek it out. Still search around for new music all the time.
Low tolerance level for anything that has the sleek 2010+ pop sheen, and of course Rap...

Come on Eileen - Dexys Midnight Runners

does it for me everytime

On a campsite years ago I had a falling out with a real obnoxious ticket collector because of his attitude to the kids playing. After, when he got on his bike & rode off singing Come on Eileen a beer can bounced off his head.

Oh, yes. Hate that song. And I also don't like the Thompson Twins, but that's due to a highly disagreeable neighbor in college playing "Hold Me Now" at 2am constantly.

I am particularly prone to "earworms" - tunes that get stuck in your head and just won't leave.

For some reason many cr@p songs have a strong, incessant "hook".

On the Tonight Show, Emma Stone destroyed Jimmy Fallon with Hook (Blues Travelers) and also All I do is win.

For me it's Guns & Roses. So hyped in the 1980s and never all that good imo. Knockin' on Heaven's Door has to be their biggest offender.

What's funny is that as I get older I find myself more accepting of a wider range of music. Some C&W (older stuff) works for me. A fair amount of rap/hip-hop as well. Both of those genres were non-starters for me in my youth.

I'm not averse to CW music, especially the newer stuff. I really like southern rock. Twitty's voice is just fingernails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Funny stuff! BTW, there are half a dozen Conway Twitty jokes that used to go around, based on the "Hello Darlin'" lyric. Probably all long forgotten.

Edit: Oh, and there's that "Touch the hand of the man who made you a woman" song - my brother sings that to his wife when he really wants to rile her up.

I used to believe I was open minded when it came to music. I even accepted the music of corporate rock bands had their place in time, and I bought some of those records for parties and other not highly musically sophisticated moments in my life. Not that I thought they were as good as many other bands (I was more into alternative college rock), but still occasionally enjoyable.

I grew a little less open minded in time. Acts like Avicii made me realize there is a generation gap. Even though I can understand that this kind of music is not any worse that commercial rock, commercial dance just gets to my nerves. My kid loves that type of music though, so I get bombarded with it. A lot. Bring on the night, when the music choice is mine.

I used to believe I was open minded when it came to music. I even accepted the music of corporate rock bands had their place in time, and I bought some of those records for parties and other not highly musically sophisticated moments in my life. Not that I thought they were as good as many other bands (I was more into alternative college rock), but still occasionally enjoyable. I grew a little less open minded in time. Acts like Avicii made me realize there is a generation gap. Even though I can understand that this kind of music is not any worse that commercial rock, commercial dance just gets to my nerves. My kid loves that type of music though, so I get bombarded with it. A lot. Bring on the night, when the music choice is mine.

There are some differences between 'then' and now. Automated percusion kits started out simple decades ago, and progressed into multi-instrument accompaniment. The worst example of automation I've heard is in reggae, which tends to drone on and on. But there are other automations - some manually assisted - that enable commercial studios to run much cheaper, so only the biggest acts get the full hands-on treatments. Then there's the Loudness Wars.

I bought a music generator app for my ipad, and with practice I can generate a lot of material to post on SoundCloud etc. All perfectly syncopated so there's none of that human element of missed notes or irregular rhythm. But there is the occasional piece I like so much I buy it - Fairmont's Poble Sec is a great example. But there's not enough good material to justify the hours needed to wade through it and filter out the 50 tracks I don't want to get the one I do. The younger people's advantages are - more time for the stuff, hanging with other people who exchange ideas and material - being in a social circle where the music is merely a means to an end.

I used to believe I was open minded when it came to music. I even accepted the music of corporate rock bands had their place in time, and I bought some of those records for parties and other not highly musically sophisticated moments in my life. Not that I thought they were as good as many other bands (I was more into alternative college rock), but still occasionally enjoyable.

I grew a little less open minded in time. Acts like Avicii made me realize there is a generation gap. Even though I can understand that this kind of music is not any worse that commercial rock, commercial dance just gets to my nerves. My kid loves that type of music though, so I get bombarded with it. A lot. Bring on the night, when the music choice is mine.

I guess we all go through different stages in our lives and sometimes we're more open to mediocre stuff than other times. And we all have our preferences that affects the whole picture - I can listen to a really mediocre blues band before I can listen to the very best of corporate rock, because that's just how I'm wired. But I think for me it was because that stuff came along when I was VERY HEAVILY into music, pretty much during every waking moment. And while I was open to many different types of music, I had a very finely tuned BS detector in those days and that stuff got stopped at that particular door every time - I was very tuned into anything that hit my ears and I had tough standards. Whereas at other times in my life, like now, I've been far less involved in music on a day to day basis, so a LOT of current music gets by in the background that I'd no doubt hate if I was at a point in my life when I was really paying close attention. So the fact that "corporate rock" came along when I was at the very height of powers of attention and caring about it, it caught pretty much every bit of ire I could scare up. And it lives on in my memory that way over much other music that's every bit as deserving of the same, or higher, levels of derision. And it's not like I left every party when some of that stuff came on! I was young and arrogant enough that I probably never missed a chance to make some snarky comment to someone about it, but I lived with plenty of that music - it was pretty impossible to avoid in the days of 2-3 radio stations to choose from and no personal streaming.... The best station in town played a higher proportion of what I considered good and a lower proportion of corporate rock, but there was still plenty of that stuff flying at me every day... Which just deepened my antipathy... :cool:

-Ray

Ray, I think I'm a year or two behind you on the curve, but our experiences sound similar. I never played, but grew up with some kids who were semi-serious musicians, so everything we listened to was discussed and dissected. The funny thing about a lot of the those bands you mention is that they started out a bit more "pure" and then found commercial success by going "corporate". REO Speedwagon may be the best (or worst) example. It took them a decade to find the right sound and sell about a gazillion copies of High Infidelity. Talk about selling out. But I don't blame the bands. They produced what the masses wanted, imo.

Sometimes in my darkest moments of college teaching, ("OK gang, one more time, which lets more light in - f8 or f11?"), I find myself humming this song to myself. Sorta' sticks with me during those very bleak times. :rolleyes:
. . . David

As a solo in this town in the early 80s, you sang what people wanted to hear. Neil Young, America, Eagles. But, I also did Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins and a few others (Leonard Cohen's Suzanne proved to be the most popular of what I used to do, along with Thin Green Candle) NOTHING could induce me to sing any country, it just wasnt me. The entreaties of several inebriated old men and being plied with lots of scotch still fell on deaf ears when the words "Pearly Shells" were uttered. Dear heavens.

Hey All,

Pearly Shells LOL That was a hit in what 63 or 64 - Burl Ives IIRC? it's in C isn't it? C F G D something like that. Don't blame you for not wanting to play that one. :tongue:

For me I know what I don't like - complicated hence most, classic, jazz, complicated (chicago, LA, etc) blues, metal drive me nuts. Simple melodic dance to it sing it I like it.

Couple examples of what I do like.

Blues

Red Dirt

Grass

It is easier to show what doesn't grate than what does. Music is a passion of mine I have a hard time not flooding a thread like this with vids.

-Ed-

Back