if it seems to good to be true...... ?

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
After buying a decent printer, I definitely need to get a new monitor and a calibration tool. Then I can be done buying new gear. The Dell U2410 seems to be the best trade-off between quality and cost for me. They look like they are $500 or a bit more everywhere that I can see. I have found an auction on eBay that ends in 7 hours. The bidding starts ay $360 with a Buy It Now option of $400. Not a truckload of feedback....a couple hundred. And either the good thing (or the bad thing) about the feedback is that they are all for that monitor ( eBay Feedback Profile for nhellums01 )

Would you buy it from them? Are these refurbs? Gray market? Stolen? I'd love to save $100, but wonder if if piece of mind might be worth more than that. Your opinions?

I have no idea about that monitor but I'd be inclined to get myself a spyDer first.
You might find there's life in the old one after doing so

Paul, I was thinking that way too. Then I brought up a test image that website uses and no matter how I adjusted the brightness and contrast settings, I was only able to differentiate 1 gray box out of 8 against a white background.....the other 7 always looked white. The blacks test didn't fare a whole lot better. There just doesn't seem to be enough latitude.

The screen is a few years old and was bought based solely on price point. It was before I was into photography. To me at the store, the $79 didn't look THAT much worse than the $149 one. I'm definitely ready for a new one.

$100 is serious money, especially in these times of economic hardship, still I wouldn't take the risk. The very fact that you're asking our advice is because you have your doubts too. As the the old Dutch saying goes "when in doubt, don't do it".

Back