If you could only have 1 camera (inc lens) What would it be?

I've often said that if I could only have one camera system, it would be built around the OMD. And if we're talking about a multi-lens setup, I'd still say that, as much as I love the variety I get from my other gear. In fact, I've really limited my OMD gear to mostly longer lenses now because I have other gear that covers the other focal lengths in ways I prefer. But if we're talking one full system, its built around the OMD because it's just so damned good at everything I do. No real downsides to that camera, and if I didn't love variety so much, an extensive m43 setup with a couple of bodies might do it for me.

BUT....

That wasn't the question here. It was about a single camera and single lens (and has since morphed into maybe two lenses, tops, or two fixed lens cameras.... Which is the way this stuff always starts!). But for ONE SINGLE camera/lens combination, the "system" strengths didn't matter any more and it just comes down to what's your favorite focal length (or zoom range) and what's the best way for you to get that in a one camera / one lens setup. At which point I'm considering either the RX1 or one of the new 28mm pocketable fixed lens fraternal twins from Nikon and Ricoh. Or, if a "conversion lens" doesn't count against your one lens allowance, maybe the X100s with the 28mm adapter also.

If we're talking full systems, my answer changes completely. And I'd go with the OMD. But that wasn't the question...

-Ray

I think I could live happily ever after with an OM-D + Panasonic 12-35 combination - if I wasn't intent on making a long backpacking trip where every gram, cubic centimetre and euro counts.

To a large extent I agree with your reasoning, and the OM-D is actually very close to my dream camera. However, for my purpose (backpacking), the weathersealed lenses for this camera are all too large, and with a non-weathersealed prime, it doesn't offer that much over the X100 (although IBIS is very nice); that, combined with a fairly high price (which diminishes my travel budget), made me choose the X100 over it. But if I had more money and/or didn't have to carry the weight on my back for months on end, the OM-D would be a no-brainer.

Like any interchangeable lens camera, the E-M5 comes into it's own by the fact that you can change lenses. My choice of one single lens would most likely be the PanaLeica 25/1.4 which would negate the weather sealing, but that is only one element of the camera. I use the tilting screen, touchscreen focus and shutter release, the very fast AF, and the excellent sensor-based stabilisation system a LOT, which is why I personally couldn't nominate any other camera in front of it that doesn't have that same combination of features.

I'm currently backpacking to a certain extent (as in having to be able to carry all my possessions on me in one large and one small backpack from hotel to bus to train station, etc over varying distances) and am carrying the E-M5 + GH1 + lenses + more for five and a half months. I am not hiking with all of it however, which would be a different scenario entirely. All told it is a lighter setup than the one DSLR and four lenses I used in the Middle East back in 2010. Despite being two of the larger Micro 4/3 bodies, the E-M5 and GH1 weigh almost exactly the same combined as my old Canon 50D! Overall price and perceived value-for-money of any camera setup depends on individual circumstances, of course.

In this moment I think it would be the Panasonic LX7, which I carry with me most of the time. It is light and unobstrusive, it fits big pockets or small bags, It has perfect ergonomics and a very nice external viewfinder, it has a very good 24-90/1.4-2.3 zoom (try this in any other camera!), it is a good video camera as well. Another pick? an hypothetic Panasonic GX2 - exactly the same as the GX1, with the GH3 sensor, a better and more controllable video mode, and an improved compact 14-42 X zoom (I did try the current one, and do not find it as bad as that). Would buy it instantly.

I think I'll be able to live very happily with my E-M5 and PanaLeica 25/1.4 combo for a very long time to come. Parked on the extremely capable E-M5, the PL25 does everything I ask of it really well. I find it to be 'just' wide enough, 'just' long enough and 'just' fast enough to be for me, a super versatile lens/camera combo. About the only thing I wish it were more capable of was a slightly shorter minimum focus distance...not much of a macro shooter myself, but I do like the odd quasi macro 'in close' shot like the P12-35 is capable of at 35mm.

Hard to imagine one camera/lens that would cover all photos. But if I had to choose today it would be in this order:
#1 Nikon D700 with 35mm f1.4 (not compact, but extremely fine images in almost any occasion)
#2 Sony RX100
#3 Fuji X100
Haven't tried a Nikon A or RX1, from what I have seen online they might replace #2 or #3

I don't think I would change what I have... Yet.

If I could have only one, it would be my X-Pro1 + XF 18-55 for overall versatility and IQ
If I could sneak another, I would have to choose between my OM-D E-M5 with PL 25 1.4 or Sony RX100

Thankfully, I don't see the day I have to make that decision for real.

Ohh.. If I could have only 1 camera & lens for each day of the week, I'd be tempted to add a Leica M240 with 35 Summicron, Sony RX1 (Yes, as well), Fuji X100s (Yes, as well) and a D800e with an AFS Nikkor 24mm 1.4 to round things out nicely.

Predictable but now that there is going to be a GR with a large sensor it is an easy question for me.
It would be the Ricoh GR, in fact it may well turn out to be the reality since the only way I could afford one atm is by selling my other cameras. Still, lets face it, ending up with only a camera like that wouldn't exactly be a hardship.

Leica M240 for me, with a 50mm Noctilux f/0.95.

Just out of interest Gordon, why not a Noctilux?

BEcause, for me, it's what I already carry now (except I use a M9 and the CV50mm 1.5 and I'm not in a rush to upgrade). I have the 1.1 but almost never take it out anymore. So I just know the Summilux is the lens for me.

Now, if I could have TWO lenses........:)

gordon

BEcause, for me, it's what I already carry now (except I use a M9 and the CV50mm 1.5 and I'm not in a rush to upgrade). I have the 1.1 but almost never take it out anymore. So I just know the Summilux is the lens for me.

gordon

But you DO have 2! Right? So......?:)

gordon

My number two choice would be the 50mm summilux for sure. But first choice is the noctilux because of the low light stuff I often do.

But you DO have 2! Right? So......?:)

Just for once I'm going to behave and stick with the topic of the thread........

(The reality is that the second lens is a MUCH more difficult choice for me. Ya see there are too many lenses to choose from. probably my 135 APO telyt. Then again I've always wanted a 90 Cron ASPH, or a WATE, or a Noct, or even a 21SE or.........)

Gordon

If I could only have one lens too (i.e. not a camera system) then my camera choice would be the RX1, hands down.

Every camera I own would represent a compromise of IQ, functionality, or size and the RX1 comes the closest to the ideal mix. It's not perfect (what camera is?) - I have a few minor niggles with the firmware, the AF isn't quite up to the level of m4/3 or my Nikon gear, and I'm not crazy about an add-on EVF. BUT, those are at the end of the day some pretty minor issues compared to everything I *do* love about the RX1.

Reading through a thread like this one, gives a glimpse in to the "real" thinking of the various members, of varying degrees of skill and experience. It helps me to focus more accurately on my own priorities. I now have 2 cameras of different systems, and am not willing to support both. So the choice. One gives superior IQ, but not as "comforting" an image. (you can try to figure that one). I have just about decided to dump the "good" one, and focus on the other. And I am now convinced that I would not be too handicapped with only one Body and TWO lenses. Only one lens? I have been there and was never satisfied. But if I had to, I would hope, to make it a macro.

I've been doing a lot of selling recently. Haven't wanted too , but anyway. An impulse purchase of a mint E1 and 14-54 ( because it was there !) and its the only camera I've ever regretted selling. Got me thinking . I do like this. I only meant to relive a bit of dslr history and then sell it on to part fund something a little more up to date. But I'm having trouble. Went to camera shop to fondle new models but nothing felt as good as the E1 . In fact the only camera that floated my boat was the Pentax MX1.
So right now it's the E1 & 14-54 . Or is it the V1 + 18.5 . I just don't know !
Walker Titan would go down well along with a 300 mm
My brain hurts

Back