Film If you could only have one (film) camera for the rest of your life?

If you could only have one camera for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?

• Leica M6

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Leica M5

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Hasselblad 500 C/M (any one of the 500 series)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Hasselblad Xpan

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Widelux (35mm)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Widelux 1500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rolleiflex TLR 2.8

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Any one large format camera (which one?)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Any one SLR (which one?)

Votes: 10 34.5%

• Total voters
For me, I think it would be a tossup between 2 cameras I have never shot with or owned...but wanted to shoot with for a long, long time.

Either the Nikon 35ti... or its sibling, the Nikon 28ti.

In fact, just thinking about it....I may have to break down and either get a job or start robbing banks...to acquire one of the aforementioned.

I can't argue with you on that one, Miguel.

Super difficult question!
Realistically, as I'm getting older and my eyesight is getting crappier - Oly Mju II
However I picked the Rollei 2.8 in the survey - I've got a 3.5 and there is something about 6x6 that is just lovely. Particularly when you get enough light to shoot some buttery vibrant Velvia through it and see the slides/negs.
From a purely practical perspective - I'd second/third the feedback on the F3 (built like a tank and a solid meter) or OM4 (more svelte but a great meter).

Xpan, for sure. If I could choose only one lens it'd be the 90mm for its cinematic effect.

One option not listed here is a Nikonos (5). If I can only have one camera, it might as well be one that can be used in virtually all circumstances.

You reminded me - what would make the Xpan really cinematic is if it came with an anamorphic lens. You know what my dream camera is? A digital Xpan with an anamorphic 35mm lens.

Also, that is a really good point about the Nikonos. The cameras I included in my survey list were some really common ones I am seeing in Tokyo shops, and ones that I am not seeing but would love to see.

Under the given assumptions, Mamiya 6. I'd actually prefer the original to the MF version I have - I don't mind the more cluttered viewfinder too much, but it *can* be irritating. The camera and its three lenses fit into a small bag (ONA Bowery) - along with an additional roll of film, too. Its only downside is its bulk - it may be compact for MF, but it's quite a big camera nonetheless.

That why there's a couple more contenders I have to mention here: Leica M4-P (I don't know why I prefer it to the clearly more polished and full-featured M6 TTL, but I do - it just feels right; if Leica hadn't pasted its name all over it, I'd like it even better), Nikon FM3A (what a camera!), Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/16 (great shooter's camera, very well thought out - and still really compact for MF rangefinder), Voigtländer Bessa RF with its Heliar lens (a tad fiddly, but so very ewarding to shoot - for its day, a revelation).

M.

I saw a handful of Mamiyas during my hunt through the Tokyo camera shops. The looked huge compared to the Hasselblad 500 c/m!

I also saw many M4 and I'm sure I spotted an M4P or two. I didn't include them in my survey list because if Iwas going to buy a film Leica, I really want a light meter in it. That way I can work faster in changing light circumstances.

I saw quite a fair few Voigtlander Bessas too.

For me, I think it would be a tossup between 2 cameras I have never shot with or owned...but wanted to shoot with for a long, long time.

Either the Nikon 35ti

View attachment 210881

Or its sibling, the Nikon 28ti

View attachment 210882

In fact, just thinking about it....I may have to break down and either get a job or start robbing banks...to acquire one of the aforementioned.

These cameras intrigue me, I think I saw one or two but had never seen them before. I'm going to have to look them up and hope that it doesn't start a round of GAS.

I picked the M6 since I was a 35 mm shooter, but I could have also picked the Rolleiflex. I could could unleash my inner Vivian Maier. :p

There are rows and rows of Rolleiflexs and Rolleicords here. Most of them were f/3.5 though. So tempting to get one but I told myself I'd rather splurge on a Hasselblad 500c/m. But every time I go through my Vivian Maier book it starts to change my mind again.

However I picked the Rollei 2.8 in the survey - I've got a 3.5 and there is something about 6x6 that is just lovely. Particularly when you get enough light to shoot some buttery vibrant Velvia through it and see the slides/negs.

I often photograph in difficult lighting, I saw so many Rollei 3.5s but am afraid that it'll limit my photography. But yeah the 6x6 is looking like it may be the next phase in my photography journey.

I'm surprised how many of you brought up the Nikons, especially the F.

Would your choices change if, say, the survey question was:

'Assuming you already own your dream digital camera, you are told you must choose a film camera to accompany your digital camera.

This isn't about having a backup camera, but rather a camera that will complement or contrast with your dream digital camera.'

Long before the RX100, the Minox 35GT loaded with Kodak tri-X was my favorite !!
I have it still somewhere....

June-22-Minox-35GT.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I picked the M6, even though I've never used one, because I know the Leicas do the kind of shooting that I like to do very well, and I'd rather have a meter than none for more difficult or on the fly shooting. There are other cameras in that list that I'd love to have (Xpan) and some that didn't make it to the list (Ricoh GR1) but I could be happy with an M6!

Back